Why do my sealed hub bearings go bad?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/28/2017 2:06 PM

Hello, I have a Sunday Primer BMX and was just cruising down the street and it started to feel weird, like the driver was giving friction. I took it home and took the wheel off the bike and examined it. The driver had some play in it, so I just greased it and put it back on the bike. I got on it the next day and it started to make this popping sound, so I got it to my LBS and told the guy what was going on. He took it apart and said a couple of bearings were shot. How did this happen? What can I do to prevent this from happening again? Any insight to this would be very helpful! I don't want to have to buy new bearings every couple months, its just a waste of money.
Cheers guys!

|

10/28/2017 2:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/28/2017 2:24 PM

How old is the hub? What kind of conditions is it usually in? Was the cone nut tight? How exposed are the bearings themselves? Is your axle bent? Is your driver running off center or worn out? How's your chainline? How tight is your chain?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/28/2017 2:48 PM

WildeB33st wrote:

Hello, I have a Sunday Primer BMX and was just cruising down the street and it started to feel weird, like the driver was ...more

Are they aftermarket? Cause I know the Sunday primer didn't have sealed bearings

|

Ride till you die

10/28/2017 3:01 PM

Ive had the bike for about 3 months, it was in great condition. My bike lives in my bedroom lol. My chain was normal tension but the cone nut kept coming loose so i re-tightened it. I also kept messing with it trying to force grease into the driver.

|