Why do people tilt their slammed-seats so far up?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2014 2:45 PM

I've enjoyed riding w/ a low seat for a while now, anywhere from a fist of post to fully slammed. I always feel like my seat looks awkward though, as i keep the nose way lower than most ppl; after trying it w/ the nose-up I always put it back.

Why do ppl ride slammed seats w/ the noses tilted higher than you would on a road bike? Not only does it feel like i'm gonna clip my nuts during close-calls, but it just doesn't provide a firm base when you are sitting, you almost gotta hold your bars to keep from sliding onto your rear tire lol.

plz help me understand.. and know that i'm an older rider who may not be getting that it's just a style thing (i have caught flack for how much I chopped down my shadow bars lol)

|

8/8/2014 2:46 PM

don't most road bikes have pretty flat angled seats?
its all really personal preference

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/8/2014 2:49 PM

Puts the nose up a bit for tricks requiring seat grabs, and when you do hang 5's or 10s it gets the seat closer to level

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/8/2014 3:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2014 3:28 PM

can use the seatube to catch your foot on for whips. seatgrabs, ya know...

you normally dont sit when stunting, if your just riding around then use whatever angle and height you prefer, but you'll find riding a bmx bike sitting down just feels...... I dont know.... strange..... Ehh...

I like my pivotal seat/SEAT POST with 1" of seat POST, 25" at the opening for the pivot bolt. and the nose at 26.75ish"

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/8/2014 3:23 PM

because buttsex.

idk, preference. I ride mine tilted up because sitting just flat feels weird to me, I like mine angled up but not so far that I get penetrated each time I sit down though

|

8/8/2014 3:23 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

you normally dont sit when stunting, if your just riding around then use whatever angle and height you prefer, but you'll find riding a bmx bike sitting down just feels...... I dont know.... strange..... Ehh...

I like my pivotal seat/SEAT POST with 1" of seat POST, 25" at the opening for the pivot bolt. and the nose at 26.75ish"

seat tube /=/ seat post

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/8/2014 3:27 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

seat tube /=/ seat post

lmfao thank you, sorry just got off work and tired as shit xD

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/8/2014 3:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2014 3:36 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

it depends and is (obviously) far more relevant because it's "part of your cockpit" on a road bike, whereas on bmx it's just there for when you're coasting (well for me, anyways) But on my fixed gear 'road bike' the seat is almost identical in its angle to my bmx seat; i've tweaked that over multiple years, and I only keep it that flat (well, nose slightly upward) because otherwise I end up wrecking my wrists on distance rides.

|

8/8/2014 4:33 PM

Because they can. It's not your bike so there's no need to look into "why", everyone has different preferences.

|

8/8/2014 4:40 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

adfkje wrote:

it depends and is (obviously) far more relevant because it's "part of your cockpit" on a road bike, whereas on bmx it's just there for when you're coasting (well for me, anyways) But on my fixed gear 'road bike' the seat is almost identical in its angle to my bmx seat; i've tweaked that over multiple years, and I only keep it that flat (well, nose slightly upward) because otherwise I end up wrecking my wrists on distance rides.

Your used to Road Cycling, I can tell... Let me explain....

In BMX WE DONT CARE WHAT IS MORE EFFICIENT OR COMFY OR HEALTHY FOR YOUR BODY. We Stand when we ride 90 percent of the time, even just riding a-b most of us stand because thats what we set the bikes up for.... after spending X amount of time to get your brake lever, seat, bars blah blah blah in that Puuuuurrrrfect spot, most people, Myself included, dont want to mess with it once they found it, unless they've changed some part and need to adjust.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/8/2014 5:11 PM

Fist and a half of post minimum with a decent seat.

|

8/8/2014 5:45 PM

ALSO before they were slammed a little nose up was common in case you ball-rode out of something, you would slide off the back of the bike rather than onto the top tube to re-nut yourself.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/8/2014 6:05 PM

brianoob wrote:

Because they can. It's not your bike so there's no need to look into "why", everyone has different preferences.

What an ignorant way to approach something! Did it ever occur to you that ppl learn from others, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel for themselves?
Of course there's a need to look into the 'why', at least IMO - and i think most would agree. Hell I've spent a ton of time reading pro's bike-checks to better understand what I want from my own bike.

|

8/8/2014 6:14 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

adfkje wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

Your used to Road Cycling, I can tell... Let me explain....

In BMX WE DONT CARE WHAT IS MORE EFFICIENT OR COMFY OR HEALTHY FOR YOUR BODY. We Stand when we ride 90 percent of the time, even just riding a-b most of us stand because thats what we set the bikes up for.... after spending X amount of time to get your brake lever, seat, bars blah blah blah in that Puuuuurrrrfect spot, most people, Myself included, dont want to mess with it once they found it, unless they've changed some part and need to adjust.

I'm a veteran and equally talented on both actually (no i'm not 'talented' in any way that i'm bragging about, just mentioning I have a ton of serious time behind each) The thing is that, for every small adjustment to a road bike, you can discuss it at length w/ other die-hard riders, and 'things' have evolved to where they are for good reason. BMX is not that way in the sense that road cycling is, the hardware is not nearly as refined as it is in road-biking, if that makes sense? Look no further than the changes to bmx bike geometry over the past decade compared to road-cycling, the changes are far bigger in the former.

Anyways tho, I get that it's not about efficiency or health, it's about a proper bike that's best for your tricks/purpose, and that's what I'm aiming for - function over form. At the same time, I'm not immune to looking at my bike and thinking if it looks 'cool', and in the 1st post here that's what i mentioned, is that when i look at my seat it looks funny, it doesn't match what I see my bmx idols setting up.
BUT I guess there's no overarching logic behind it, because - and correct me if i'm wrong - but after this short discussion, it does not seem there's any practical reason for a majority of seats being tilted so extremely, yet a majority of riders rock them that way. I setup this thread to see if there was a reason, or if it was a performance thing- it seems it's a style thing more than a performance thing :/
I love it being low because i'm learning whips, and i also appreciate having *nothing* to grab w/ my knees while throwing bars - a tendency I've always had that destroys the insides of my knees. I just always felt like my nose looked silly-low, and didn't wanna change that unless there was a reason for me to, and there's not.

Thnx for the input guys smile

|

8/8/2014 8:22 PM

I bought a fat seat because I wanted to sit comfortably, not get ass raped. But the park rat with the plastic saddle thing that resembles a dildo more than a seat bought his for clearance, weight savings (less weight = instant mark webb, right?) And the reasons tomdom posted. Or maybe he likes the feeling of getting violated and it makes him moist. We all have our own reasons.

|

8/8/2014 11:21 PM

they like it in the butt..

|

Bang Bang bmx

8/9/2014 12:06 AM

the main reasons are,
1) good luck locking in hang 5 and 10's without, you will just slip off
2) allows for eaiser seat grands for tricks such as supermans and toboggans
3)allows for easier pinching for bars

|