Why does this happen with barspins?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/21/2017 1:09 AM

Around a month ago I learnt barspins, and have them consistently now, however, whenever I land I always land 'back foot heavy', meaning I land 'sloppy footed' (where the cranks are vertical, and not level if that makes sense?) hopefully the photo has uploaded okay ... any idea why this happens ?!
I'm running the clutch coaster which is basically broken at the minute, could the coaster have something to do with it? Just want to get hop bars cleaner ... thanks !

Photo

|

6/21/2017 1:57 AM

I'm no barspin master (farthest I've gotten is pull-up bars at 1/2 a mile per hour), but that always happens to me.

From my point, I'm afraid to snag my knee with the bar, and making cranks vertical brings your front foot away from that happening, so I guess that's my theory. Maybe it just happens naturally or maybe it's more comfortable, as weird as that sounds? I doubt having a coaster changes things, but hey, I can't hop bar, haha. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/21/2017 2:02 AM

haha, barspins used to scare me until a friend of mine got them and that's when i started fully committing (we're both extremely competitive when we ride together, which can be both a good and bad thing haha)

the problem is my landing though, my cranks are level when i bar but as soon as i land, the cranks go vertical... perhaps i just need to keep practicing ...

|

6/21/2017 2:06 AM

I assume it's your back foot that ends up below and your front foot above? Maybe try to put more weight on your front foot as you begin to land?

But I agree with practice, maybe it'll click and one day everything going wrong will be no more.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/21/2017 3:03 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I assume it's your back foot that ends up below and your front foot above? Maybe try to put more weight on your front foot as you begin to land?

But I agree with practice, maybe it'll click and one day everything going wrong will be no more.

my back foot does end up below my front foot yeah .. i think i just need to focus on landed level if you know what i mean. Bars still scare me a little, so perhaps i focus too much on the height, throw and catch and not the landing. But tonight i will primarily focus on the landing because i catch and land every-time ... let's hope!!

|

6/21/2017 10:14 AM

Like Ready said, practice. My hop bars still need work, and a friend of mine (who's very good at hop bars) just recommended practicing everyday.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

6/21/2017 12:19 PM

COULD be a subconscious thing that you do as a means to be able to kick the bike away easier IF something goes wrong. Just keep at hit and don't lean quite as far back-that might even be it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/21/2017 2:41 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

COULD be a subconscious thing that you do as a means to be able to kick the bike away easier IF something goes wrong. Just keep at hit and don't lean quite as far back-that might even be it.

I think you've got it spot on Dave. Today I went to do a bar up the drive, missed the bars and kicked the bike away with my back foot ... lack of commitment I guess. I need to lean more forward too!

|