Why don't they have secured (clip-on/plastic strap thingy) pedals for bmx bikes?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/6/2015 2:09 AM

There are pedals that secure your feet for just about every type of bike (MTB, Road) except bmx.

Now yes you might not be able to do tailwhips, but wouldn't it be worth it not to have foot slippage and pedal bites?

My Story:

I never got any good at bmx because I couldn't stay on the bike. With dirtbikes, the pegs are in a fixed position and you have a motor/gas tank/seat to squeeze in order to stay on, with a bmx bike there might as well be nothing.

I guess my problem is that I was used to pushing down with my rear foot as a part of any weight transfer (probably learned this when i first started bunnyhopping @ like 8 yrs old on my super heavy haro x2) this made my front foot come up and off the pedal resulting in a loss of balance and control. I will admit this was only a problem while dirt jumping, with my last bike (Eastern Traildigger) I rode mostly park and street and only had this happen a few times.

I went so far as to buy steel insertable little things that stick out of the pedal and they ate into my shoes for the most grip, which still wasn't enough.
Here's the initial thread:
http://www.bmx-forum.com/t/86829/foot-slippage

I appreciate the responses, if there is a demand I might go ahead in trying to bring this to market.

|

1/6/2015 2:23 AM

There will be no demand, riders need to bail at times and being strapped in will have result in people being hurt. Not every trick goes according to plan first try, being strapped in with no way to bail. prepare yourself to die

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

1/6/2015 2:31 AM

The same argument could be made for mountain bikes, but they have them.

|

1/6/2015 5:13 AM

thomas.rones wrote:

The same argument could be made for mountain bikes, but they have them.

Not really, they are used in disciplines such as cross-country, where falling is alot more rare. But in dh, they arent, as falling is alot more common and the speed and terrain makes it incredibly dangerous, as with bmx. Also, pretty much zero demand for them. I hate grippy pedals

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

1/6/2015 6:37 AM

They make clipped pedals and pins for racing bmx. Definitely wouldn't use for freestyle. 1. If you can't bail then your fucked. 2. I position my feet differently for some tricks. 3. No more footjams, vaders, tailwhips, cancans, nacnacs, fastplants, no footers, crankflips, etc.

But one time i ducttaped my feet on so i could barspin and i ate major shit.. fun times.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/6/2015 6:39 AM

Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/6/2015 6:44 AM

i would put those on a beach cruiser sure, but not my bike.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

1/6/2015 6:48 AM

I love T-1

|

1/6/2015 7:09 AM

Has anyone here actually ever been clipped in before? It's like you're being held hostage by your bike, but it's cool. And more power can be applied on climbs. I actually clipped in to my bike once (bmx). No. Just no. I rode like dried dog crap. You need foot movement.

|

1/6/2015 8:12 AM

I see where you're coming from but like everyone else said, there isn't enough demand for them. You're the only person I have ever heard of wanting this for BMX.

There are many flaws and dangerous possibilities with them that have already been stated. It's not exactly a bad idea, it just won't work!

If you're brakeless and you have these on your bike, you will die for sure.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

1/6/2015 8:17 AM

Race bikes have it for power transfer and efficiency.

For freestyle it would not be a safe thing.

MTB riders on single track tend to keep wheels down most of the time. Downhillers don't typically rock clipless pedals and shoes for safety.

You can run them if you want, but you are likely to hurt yourself by going down with the bike, IE much harder to bail being CONNECTED to the bike. Yes, you can get out, but you have to train yourself to twist your heel outward to pop out of them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/6/2015 3:04 PM

Ok thanks, any tips to avoid my feet losing the pedals while in the air?

|

1/6/2015 4:14 PM

thomas.rones wrote:

I used to hook my toes on the pedal if that makes sense. But practice. Learn what works best. Watch videos and pause them for the style and moves you are looking to do, to see what those riders do, whether they know it or not.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/6/2015 4:18 PM

thomas.rones wrote:

Don't get any air , stay on the ground , it's dangerous , you might get hurt and hit your shin , don't want doomsday coming your way

|