Why is Shadow Conspiracy the only one that offers a Lifetime warranty...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2017 7:25 PM

On a chain?

|

11/7/2017 10:33 PM

It's a good chain unlike others ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/7/2017 11:42 PM

Because chains wear over time. You wouldn't expect a 410 to last much more than a year. And I'd be very surprised if the shadow chain could last a lifetime

|

11/8/2017 1:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2017 1:15 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Because chains wear over time. You wouldn't expect a 410 to last much more than a year. And I'd be very surprised if the ...more

I know many that have one. I know of many that have broken, no chain is invincible.

Im just wondering why Shadow is the only one offering something like that...honestly, its a bold move. Its Like offering a lifetime warranty on tires, eventually its going to wear through but how many times do you see a bike hanging up in someones garage and you know that person rides like once every 2 years. Of course those tires look brand new!

I understand the marketing strategy. It appeals to the majority of people that buy one thinking they need a super durable chain; end up quitting bmx or just never going real hard on it. Those many make up for the few that actually bust chains on the regular due to bails, grinds, stalls, etc. And need a replacement every once in a while.

Its smart.

I would totally buy one if it didnt require a chain tool to remove it.

|

11/8/2017 2:06 AM

Don't all chains require a tool to remove them?

|

11/8/2017 2:10 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Don't all chains require a tool to remove them?

I mean a specific tool like a chain breaker.

Odyssey uses a 3mm allen

I also can appreciate master links with the c-clip retainer plate. You can take those off with many things, even a pocket knife.

But yes, all chains require a "tool" of sorts to remove them. Just a preferred tool is an allen for me since I always have an allen or multitool in my pocket.

|

11/8/2017 6:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2017 6:07 AM

I'm guessing there's fine print that says something along the lines of "warrantied against manufacturer defect in materials... blah, blah, blah.... normal wear & tear not covered.....". Meaning the chain will wear like any other chain & that isn't covered. But if it breaks, they'll replace it. AND, I'd bet it is a Lifetime of the CHAIN.... not your lifetime. Every product has a life cycle. Just my thoughts.

|

11/8/2017 6:10 AM

"The Shadow Interlock Supreme chain has a limited lifetime warranty. If the Shadow Interlock Supreme chain breaks during it’s lifespan, Shadow will replace it at no additional charge. This warranty does not include damage to the product caused by installation error, misuse, or negligence."

Yeah.... "DURING IT'S (sic) LIFESPAN....". Also, "misuse or negligence" is a pretty broad spectrum.
|

11/8/2017 6:46 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote: "The Shadow Interlock Supreme chain has a limited lifetime warranty. If the Shadow Interlock Supreme chain breaks during it’s ...more

Haha, I'm betting accidentally landing on it will constitute misuse.

Surely a chain tool is something every rider should have in their tool kit? You don't need a shadow tool on a shadow chain, it just needs to be wide enough to fit the chain in. What if you break a link? No chain tool means the end of a session. The traditional split links are terrible, so I carry my chain tool and a few links every time I ride. I actually bent 2 plates in one go last time I rode, so had to replace one and a half full links to get home

|

11/8/2017 6:56 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote: "The Shadow Interlock Supreme chain has a limited lifetime warranty. If the Shadow Interlock Supreme chain breaks during it’s ...more
grumpySteve wrote:

Surely a chain tool is something every rider should ...more

I do indeed have a chain tool but there are days I just carry a multitool depending on what im foing and where im going.

Just is more conveinient and pocket friendly.

|

11/8/2017 7:06 AM

Also going to key in here and add that the extra 30 bucks you're paying probably goes to pay for that warranty.

|

11/8/2017 7:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2017 7:14 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Also going to key in here and add that the extra 30 bucks you're paying probably goes to pay for that warranty.

Thats true and that goes along with my theory as well.

The many are paying for the few.

It does make sense financially as a serious rider that grinds a lot. Maybe have 2 so while one is being warrantied the other can be used.

I guess the real question is, how many times do they replace it before they say no more? Or is it unlimited replacements?

Anyone here make them honor the warranty? If so was it easy or did they give you a 20 page essay due before the end of the week?

|

11/8/2017 7:20 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Surely a chain tool is something every rider should ...more

"...I'm betting accidentally landing on it will constitute misuse."

Exactly.

& like you said, the extra 30 bones you are shelling out probably pays for that chain a couple times over anyway.
|

11/8/2017 7:27 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

It does make sense financially as a ...more

On another note, how many regular chains could you buy & keep for 60 bucks? So, if you broke one, you could just replace it (also, in general, you aren't destroying the whole chain, you could just replace the damaged part with the extra chain that most chains ship with & it's ready to use again). Yeah, I know.... that's starting to get stupid. I'm just playing devils advocate.

|

11/8/2017 8:02 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

It does make sense financially as a ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

On another note, how many regular chains could you buy & keep for 60 bucks? So, if you broke one, you could just replace ...more

Nah, I agree. My bsd chain cost about £12. I bent 2 plates, replaced them and carried on riding. I'll replace the whole chain for another of the same soon to reduce the risk of running a worn chain/wearing my driver or sprocket. The cost of the shadow chain is about the equivalent of 6 or 7 bsd chains. If I replace them once a year, and keep spares I'm pretty sure that will outlive my riding career! Or at least get me to the point I turn into a collector rather than a rider

|

11/8/2017 11:40 AM

I don't grind so I can't really say but for the 18 bucks my kmc710 cost, I can't complain. Nor do I see it dieing anytime soon. Agree with all the points above and if it does actually hold up better then the value is their with the product to justify the cost.

|

11/8/2017 1:49 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm guessing there's fine print that says something along the lines of "warrantied against manufacturer defect in materials... ...more

This, and that's what your paying for when you buy a $60 chain. It better last at least 10 years at that price, or it's not worth it. You can buy a new $6 chain every year for 10 years to equal that.

|

11/8/2017 10:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2017 10:14 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm guessing there's fine print that says something along the lines of "warrantied against manufacturer defect in materials... ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

This, and that's what your paying for when you buy a $60 chain. It better last at least 10 years at that price, or it's not ...more

Idk, might just be because I fear snapping chains and hitting my knee on my bars, frame or stem but id rather pay for a chain I trust rather than just go to wally world and pick up the cheapest chain for 1/6th the price.

My friend just broke his cheap kmc that I bought for him like a month or two ago. He said it broke just pedaling on flat ground not even going hard on it.

I pedal up hills a lot and I would hate to have one snap just cranking.

A burly chain equals confidence imo. Similar to having chromoly parts instead of hi-ten, in my mind. I dont go cheap on parts that need to perform. A chain is one of the highest stress parts of your bike. I want ME to fail not a cheap part I bought to save some money.

Smaller sprockets equal more stress on your chain. Id venture to say most serious street riders are on a 25-28t front sprocket and a 9-11t in the rear. That means less teeth are engaging overall and distributing MORE torque over LESS teeth which means more chain failures; even without factoring in sprocket cases/stalls and grinding.

I run 23-9 so my chain needs to be a bit more rugged for me to comfortably ride and not constantly worry that the next crank could snap the chain.

wink

|

11/9/2017 4:57 AM

Ah... the old "IWJRA" bit (I Was Just Riding Along....).

1st, nobody is saying anything about buying a cheap chain from Walmart.
2nd, how was the chain installed? If they used a chain tool, was the pin installed properly?
3rd, what transpired in the month before the chain broke? Were there any impacts? Were there any high & low spots in the chain tension when it was installed? Was the chain "fully tensioned" on the low point & then over stressed on the high point? "Back in the day" chains were NEVER tightened like they are today. There was a bit of slack that could easily absorb that sort of variation. When chains are pulled so tight today, there's very little room to withstand that sort of variation (a slightly bend sprocket, etc...).

|

11/9/2017 6:29 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Ah... the old "IWJRA" bit (I Was Just Riding Along....).

1st, nobody is saying anything about buying a cheap chain from ...more

Lol, well I wasnt there when it happened. I installed the chain. It had no huge high spots. I didnt ride with him for a long time so I dont actually know how tight or loose the chain was...

It was about 2 weeks before he got pegs, so he wasnt smacking it on stuff yet.

He mostly does dirt jumps and recently bought a second bike because that frame didnt have brake posts when I sold it to him.

Your point is valid.

I wasnt there, he could have been abuding the hell out of it for all I know.

|

11/9/2017 6:35 AM

It doesn't really matter what was going on WHEN it snapped. It's more down to what he done to weaken it. I've only ever had a chain snap whilst riding along once. I check my chain pretty often, especially if I know I've hit it. My chain that snapped was a sram pc1 single speed chain that I thought I'd give a go to see how it would stand up. I don't recall hitting it or noticing anything wrong with it, but the likelihood of me hitting it on something is pretty high.

With sprockets and drivers being smaller, they'll wear quicker too. Which is even more reason to replace your chain fairly often. I've seen chains wear out in 3 months on commuting bikes, and I'd bet we put a lot more torque through a chain than someone that uses there bike to ride to work

|