4.5" pegs

14mm axle

13.5" chainstay

32mm offset fork

21" tt

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Bmx has a solid set of standardized parts that are compatible across a multitude of brands but they can't seem to agree on a way to measure things. I know brands come from all over the world but I really wish for the sake of simplicity, companies could just agree to make parts with metric measurements.

Which form of measurement?

View Results

|

6/8/2019 2:42 PM

254mm bars
508mm wheels
114mm pegs
343mm chainstay
533mm tt

Take a whole lot of getting used to, even for me.

|

6/8/2019 2:48 PM

jbales wrote:

254mm bars
508mm wheels
114mm pegs
343mm chainstay
533mm tt

It would but In the end I feel it would be worth it. I guess this is a problem we must accept and deal with since our schools here in the US never fully adopted the metric system.

|

6/8/2019 2:59 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

It would but In the end I feel it would be worth it. I guess this is a problem we must accept and deal with since our schools here in the US never fully adopted the metric system.

But the proud Americans will have none of it.

|

6/8/2019 3:05 PM

It’s cycling in general. But it’s also a lot of other things, like fluids, wood, calibre of a firearm etc.
But with imperial you also have the decimal and the fraction, which is a bit of a ball ache to convert from one to another then into mm for us metric countries.

But it’s also in spelling, and definitions of words between proper English and American English.

But it’s been the way for a long time. Changing it would just be more confusing really

|

6/8/2019 6:25 PM

Because bmx is a joke

|

fack off

6/8/2019 6:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2019 6:45 PM

It's just different ways of saying the same things. I don't know about other countries but here, we grow up with and use both systems at the same time. In this case, the difference in units keeps large numbers short and sweet, and the small numbers precise, all without confusing anyone.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/8/2019 10:34 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

It's just different ways of saying the same things. I don't know about other countries but here, we grow up with and use both systems at the same time. In this case, the difference in units keeps large numbers short and sweet, and the small numbers precise, all without confusing anyone.

Fair enough...

I am capable of figuring out the dimensions of an object regardless of units of measurements but It just feels like a very fragmented system when you think of it as a whole.

I am willing to accept this but will continue to lose sleep over it. I haven't had a good nights sleep since I learned I was only 190.5 mm

|

6/9/2019 12:23 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Fair enough...

I am capable of figuring out the dimensions of an object regardless of units of measurements but It just feels like a very fragmented system when you think of it as a whole.

I am willing to accept this but will continue to lose sleep over it. I haven't had a good nights sleep since I learned I was only 190.5 mm

190.5mm? So you’re less than a foot tall? You need a smaller bike

|

6/9/2019 1:23 AM

.pegless. wrote:

190.5mm? So you’re less than a foot tall? You need a smaller bike

190.5mm is considered pretty large... Oh, wait.

I learned the metric system mainly through Japanese cars. Makes me feel wicked smart, because most people I'm around don't know it for shit... lol

|

6/9/2019 1:49 AM

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/9/2019 6:23 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Fair enough...

Doesn't bother me at all. It's pretty normal here to deal with both systems in the same day. Look at the pipe fittings here for hydraulics and pneumatics: they're typically a standard or NPT imperial thread with a metric spanner head. The only measurement we don't use here, off the top of my head, is fahrenheit.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/9/2019 6:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2019 6:33 PM

We use ounces here, but only for one thing. Also teenths, henries and quarters.

|

6/9/2019 6:45 PM

Also. If America has one reason to convert. Its cups. Wtf is a cup? Can't even convert it to grams. Cups only convert to milliliters. Who measures a solid in a jug?

Sort it out.

|

6/9/2019 7:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2019 7:05 PM

jbales wrote:

Also. If America has one reason to convert. Its cups. Wtf is a cup? Can't even convert it to grams. Cups only convert to milliliters. Who measures a solid in a jug?

Sort it out.

1 cup = 8 oz. 16 oz (1 pint / 500ml) bottle of water = 2 cups

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/9/2019 8:07 PM

|

6/9/2019 9:10 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

190.5mm is considered pretty large... Oh, wait.

I learned the metric system mainly through Japanese cars. Makes me feel wicked smart, because most people I'm around don't know it for shit... lol

The Jap cars are at least consistently metric throughout. The domestic US cars got really bad with the mix of metric and English through the late 80's and into the 90's. I feel like I shouldn't need to know that 8mm is near enough the same as 5/16, 11mm as 7/16, 13 as 1/2, 14 as 9/16, 19 as 3/4, and etc. At least it transfers to bikes and other stuff here and there. And, yeah, you start talking mm's and kilos around here most people will just look at you weird.

As far as the cups and ounces thing, you have fluid ounces that are volume and other ounces that are weight, whereas grams are a measurement of mass. Mass here doesn't even have its own standard. It has to be a function of volume and weight ie: pounds per cubic inch. I guess you could even use fluid ounces per weight ounce. How many ounces in an ounce? Lol, lot of sense that makes.

|

6/9/2019 9:23 PM

Also, I forgot to say in reference to the OP, I wouldn't mind seeing more use of metric. It's a better system and the measurements seem a little more manageable, to me at least, if you use a decimal and/ or round the numbers when possible, like using jbales first reply with cm as an example:

25 cm bars
51 cm wheels
11.4 cm pegs
34.3 cm chainstay
53,3 cm top tube

|

6/9/2019 10:00 PM

Now that you mention it, pretty much is a standardization in that it uses both systems really well.

Never actually thought about it but it also teaches (those willing to learn) a better understanding of metric vs imperial.

|

6/10/2019 4:59 AM

jbales wrote:

254mm bars
508mm wheels
114mm pegs
343mm chainstay
533mm tt

I think it's a simplicity thing. When you look at what the list looks like it starts looking convoluted. Whereas the "mix" isn't as confusing. 21" tt is easier to remember than 533.4. Now, throw in the fractions.... "What size is you frame? It's a 539.75mm (21.25")." Even in cm, it's not as clear cut 21 = 53.34 & 21.25 = 53.97. Now when you say "I want to get some 165's or 170's", pretty much everyone knows what you are talking about without saying "cranks".

|

6/10/2019 5:05 AM

jbales wrote:

Sort it out.

a cup holds your junk & keeps it from getting smashed.

On a related note, I don't know that the US created those measurements. The UK created "inches, feet, etc...." Now we're being told that WE are wrong for using it?

Lastly, in cooking, what do people in the UK use as forms of measurement? What do you recipe's call for (i.e. 2 cups flour, etc..)?

|

6/10/2019 5:21 AM

jbales wrote:

254mm bars
508mm wheels
114mm pegs
343mm chainstay
533mm tt

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I think it's a simplicity thing. When you look at what the list looks like it starts looking convoluted. Whereas the "mix" isn't as confusing. 21" tt is easier to remember than 533.4. Now, throw in the fractions.... "What size is you frame? It's a 539.75mm (21.25")." Even in cm, it's not as clear cut 21 = 53.34 & 21.25 = 53.97. Now when you say "I want to get some 165's or 170's", pretty much everyone knows what you are talking about without saying "cranks".

Unless the measurements were rounded up or down. So instead of a 21” tt, you’d have 533, with 527mm replacing 20.75 and 539mm replacing 21.25.
Other brands already do this, only it’s outside of bmx. I know when I was looking at different street mtb frames a few years ago, literally every part of the frame was measured in mm.
Bmx also measures bb height in a retarded way. All other frames it’s measure from centre to centre of the dropouts, then in a straight line following the seat tube. So a street mtb would be +7mm, and a road bike would be -10mm. Rather than some vague measurement that entirely depends on what tyres you have.

|

6/10/2019 5:23 AM

jbales wrote:

Sort it out.

If I look at a recipe online and it’s measured in cups, I just look for another one!

|

6/10/2019 5:26 AM

jbales wrote:

254mm bars
508mm wheels
114mm pegs
343mm chainstay
533mm tt

Mishinn_Control wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

Unless the measurements were rounded up or down. So instead of a 21” tt, you’d have 533, with 527mm replacing 20.75 and 539mm replacing 21.25.
Other brands already do this, only it’s outside of bmx. I know when I was looking at different street mtb frames a few years ago, literally every part of the frame was measured in mm.
Bmx also measures bb height in a retarded way. All other frames it’s measure from centre to centre of the dropouts, then in a straight line following the seat tube. So a street mtb would be +7mm, and a road bike would be -10mm. Rather than some vague measurement that entirely depends on what tyres you have.

Mountain bikers are another breed though! Surprised they don’t wanna know what angle the head tube badge is stuck on! Confuses me no end looking at an MTB geo chart! I just look for HT angle and CS length when I buy an mtb, not dissimilar to how I buy a BMX frame!

|

6/10/2019 5:28 AM

jbales wrote:

Sort it out.

Mishinn_Control wrote:

a cup holds your junk & keeps it from getting smashed.

On a related note, I don't know that the US created those measurements. The UK created "inches, feet, etc...." Now we're being told that WE are wrong for using it?

Lastly, in cooking, what do people in the UK use as forms of measurement? What do you recipe's call for (i.e. 2 cups flour, etc..)?

Grams of flour, litres or ml if it’s fluid! A cup is what we drink tea out of haha

|

6/10/2019 5:43 AM

jbales wrote:

254mm bars
508mm wheels
114mm pegs
343mm chainstay
533mm tt

Mishinn_Control wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

"Street mountain bike frames"? I haven't followed mountain bikes in a long time now but is this a segment?

|

6/10/2019 5:44 AM

Yup what he said lol. We use scales for solids and a measuring jug for liquids.

|

6/10/2019 5:58 AM

This is what siri and alexa are for.

Or if you use your thumbs, google.

|

6/10/2019 6:02 AM

jmz313 wrote:

This is what siri and alexa are for.

Or if you use your thumbs, google.

I use Google without my thumbs. Just say "hey Google"

|

6/10/2019 6:15 AM