Why replace cranks?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2015 3:03 PM

why do people replace stock bike cranks?

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

1/24/2015 3:23 PM

I've seen people replace them because "They're stock" and wanna get rid of them when one little thing goes wrong with them or they just felt like spending money. Which, I personally would just say ride them until they start failing but whatever floats their boat.

An actual reason is in fact because they're stock. Stock parts are usually generic and/or not as well designed as aftermarket cranks are, leading to failing or wearing out quicker, needing replaced.

This isn't always the case though, some people ride stock cranks and have no issues with them, some people do. Ride them till they start failing.

|

1/24/2015 3:52 PM

Because I don't want to break my ankle doing an 8 stair.

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551

1/24/2015 4:24 PM

I just did it because i kept fucking them up. I hate pinch bolts because i do crank arm grinds and the last thing i need to worry about when doing that is a pinch bolt breaking.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/24/2015 4:46 PM

I never have broken cranks but they take the most impact than other parts , so you want to make sure they're good. If you hop a 9 set and they break , good luck.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/24/2015 5:02 PM

Leg length vs crank arm length= Gain ratio, proper crank arm length will make your bike easier on your legs when your Using a High Gainratio, which is related to your gear ratio, which is your drive train, when put together, you can have a smooth bike, thats fast as hell, and easy to pedal at any speed, this is why The 20000 dollar road bikes are custom built and come "Complete" without cranks, a saddle, bars, or any drivers or sprockets. Custom fitted to teh rider, which is how bikes Should and Used to be, Back in the Way way way early days, Im talking Wooden bicycles with Wooden wheels man.

strength. Some "stock"crank arms are just whatever the company can get that will work and A not look like ass(1 peice) and B not break for a beginner rider(this wont be the case on a HIGH end bike, Im talkin Sunday Soundwaves, and dk X models, and stuff like that....

Appreance: most people use te crank arms as a major part of a colorway, normally they match the forks and bars, like in this picture of a custom junker i built today at work from salvaged parts,

Honestly, Im very pleased with it HAHA was bought before it got to the bike rack by a coworker.
Photo

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

1/24/2015 6:02 PM

I broke my stock cranks. Got slightly better thanstock cranks that kick ass.

|

1/24/2015 6:12 PM

People here in my country like using them stock Eastern cranks with them stock Eastern forkz...

|

1/24/2015 7:03 PM

Im using 08 MirraCo Icon cranks 175mm
I wont worry about them until something bad happens.

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

1/24/2015 8:50 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I've seen people replace them because "They're stock" and wanna get rid of them when one little thing goes wrong with them or ...more

pretty muhc this... id rather ride em til they break. no sense in wastin money

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/24/2015 9:14 PM

I see it like this. If they are high tensile steel then go ahead and replace for safety purposes. If not, then whats the need? If it aint broke dont fix it ya feel me?

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

1/24/2015 9:26 PM

Because they want to feel cool!

|

1/24/2015 9:44 PM

is heat-treated tubular chromoly any good?

|

1/24/2015 9:52 PM

miiitchy87 wrote:

is heat-treated tubular chromoly any good?

Very kleenex

|

1/25/2015 11:30 AM

Stock cranks that i see usually don't break but they get stripped, flexible, and the splines will bend and make the arms out of place. It just makes the bike feel bad.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop