Why the hate on gloves?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/24/2019 5:31 PM

I use some random Fox gloves, but I always hear some stupid comment on how thats not “street” ??? Like theres a helluva lot more crap for me to cut my hands on out here, and not as much dust laying around to increase my grip. In my little opinion theyre even more necessary on the street. Tetanus aint cute ?

Just wana hear from the glove haters... why?

|

2/24/2019 5:35 PM

Gloves rule when I remember to wear em

|

2/24/2019 6:20 PM

I just can’t ride comfortably in them they feel weird. I’m the same way with shin pads now and I used to wear them everyday.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/24/2019 6:43 PM

I sweat way to much to not use em.

|

2/24/2019 7:20 PM

Morgan wade comes to mind when I hear about gloves , taking one off for bikeflips

|

2/24/2019 7:36 PM

I wear gloves when its hot and my hands get sweaty, otherwise I prefer to raw-dogg it

|

2/24/2019 8:18 PM

Who hates on gloves? It's freestyle no one can penalize you for doing it. Ignore them, dont stoop to their level.

|

2/25/2019 1:09 AM

I get what you're saying, it's another one of those things that is deemed as not "Street" and just something "Park Rats" wear, but fuck it just wear what you want like, I haven't got time for people who judge other riders.

I wear gloves 50% of the time, the 50% of the times I don't wear them, is just because I forget them.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/25/2019 2:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 11:40 PM

Yeah, cool kids hate on helmets too until they smash their dome. I'd wear gloves if I had some (same with a helmet tbh). Your hands are usually what takes most of the initial impact if you fall forward, so why not protect them if given the option?

|

2/25/2019 3:25 AM

To me, it's all just added stuff. I like as little as possible restricting me when I ride. No pads, no lid, no gloves. It all just kind of feels restrictive and unnatural

|

2/25/2019 3:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 11:43 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

To me, it's all just added stuff. I like as little as possible restricting me when I ride. No pads, no lid, no gloves. It all just kind of feels restrictive and unnatural

True, pads suck. Gloves and a helmet are whatever, but for me, honestly I can't ride at all if I have a jacket or especially a backpack on, even if they're both really lightweight. Idk what it is about it. The mere presence of either severely hinders my riding ability. I know it's all in my head, but I can't get past it for some reason...

|

2/25/2019 4:35 AM

Hahaha I’m over here; wearing: knee pads, helmet, gloves, and a backpack.

|

2/25/2019 4:38 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Burnt palms and a concussion are a lot more restricting than a helmet and gloves.

|

2/25/2019 5:12 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Who hates on gloves? It's freestyle no one can penalize you for doing it. Ignore them, dont stoop to their level.

Dumbasses hate on them.

Who cares honestly? Just ride and have fun.

If they say anything, ride by and have grip on a hot day and just smile.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/25/2019 5:19 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Fatalize wrote:

Burnt palms and a concussion are a lot more restricting than a helmet and gloves.

Yep. But I I haven't cut my hands or hit my head for a long long time. And I'd rather not ride than ride and feel uncomfortable.

|

2/25/2019 7:00 AM

Ok, i can understand the uncomfortable thing. I cant wear any pads, backpack, or helmet either. Its just, in my way somehow? I dont feel that way about gloves, but in the end its just preference. I’m used to wearing gloves from driving with a wooden steering wheel, so its natural for me at this point. I’m in the sun all day for work and it cancels out any tan lines; that must suck.

Btw, nobody is going to bully me from wearing gloves lol. Just curious as to people’s reasoning cuz it always felt silly. Like how tea drinkers hate on coffee drinkers for some reason, as if u cant enjoy both or just have a preference (i call them caffeine vegans). I’m a 26yo grown ass man. I ride for me.

|

2/25/2019 7:10 AM

I find it's a mix of 2 things: bike feel and getting stuck to the bars.
1. I find I can't feel what the bike is doing as well, which I find really offputting.
2. It's the same as pedals; too much grip is a bad thing too.

I don't get sweaty hands, thankfully. That's a win for eczema

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2019 7:12 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Ok, i can understand the uncomfortable thing. I cant wear any pads, backpack, or helmet either. Its just, in my way somehow? I dont feel that way about gloves, but in the end its just preference. I’m used to wearing gloves from driving with a wooden steering wheel, so its natural for me at this point. I’m in the sun all day for work and it cancels out any tan lines; that must suck.

Btw, nobody is going to bully me from wearing gloves lol. Just curious as to people’s reasoning cuz it always felt silly. Like how tea drinkers hate on coffee drinkers for some reason, as if u cant enjoy both or just have a preference (i call them caffeine vegans). I’m a 26yo grown ass man. I ride for me.

"Like how tea drinkers hate on coffee drinkers for some reason, as if u cant enjoy both or just have a preference (i call them caffeine vegans)."

That's just human nature! "You're doing it differently to me, so it must be wrong"

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2019 7:33 AM

They take all the feeling away.

We're talking about condoms, right?

|

2/25/2019 7:37 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

"Like how tea drinkers hate on coffee drinkers for some reason, as if u cant enjoy both or just have a preference (i call them caffeine vegans)."

That's just human nature! "You're doing it differently to me, so it must be wrong"

Strong af coffee in the morning/early afternoon. Decaf tea after that. Otherwise I don't sleep well. But I do love a good cup of tea.

A better comparison would be biscuit dunkers (scum) vs non biscuit dunkers.

|

2/25/2019 7:47 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Strong af coffee in the morning/early afternoon. Decaf tea after that. Otherwise I don't sleep well. But I do love a good cup of tea.

I guess I'm scum, then...

Tea all day. I used to drink 30-40 cups of coffee a day and it really fucked up my stomach, to the point that I can't drink coffee anymore.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2019 7:57 AM

I like gloves. I have sweaty hands.

|

2/25/2019 8:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2019 8:13 AM

I wear gloves almost every time I ride. My hands get sweaty, I get sweaty, I've had to carry 2 pairs before just because I can sometimes soak a single pair in a session.

More recently, riding in 40-50º weather I find it sometimes nice to pull the gloves off for a few minutes, but I inevitably put them back on.

Again, with age comes more and more "I don't give a fuck what you think" as far as riding is concerned. Im way past the point of trying to impress anyone.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/25/2019 8:40 AM

I'm not sure how we've got on to this, but how can you have a brew and not dunk a biscuit in it?!! There is no better joy than a nice soggy digestive/hobnob/malted milk/kitkat chunky/cadburys finger.......

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/25/2019 9:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2019 9:05 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I guess I'm scum, then...

Tea all day. I used to drink 30-40 cups of coffee a day and it really fucked up my stomach, to the point that I can't drink coffee anymore.

30-40? So you were drinking on average 4-6 pots of coffee a day? You must have been chronically dehydrated and never slept at all.

"It would likely take anywhere from 50-100 cups of coffee to result in a lethal dose of caffeine," Robert Glatter, an emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City said.

Ultimately you would have been knocking on death's door, and having done so without so much as a stomach issue, despite scientific studies showing SO much more.

https://www.inc.com/sarah-kimmorley/19-horrible-things-that-can-happen-if-you-drink-too-much-caffeine.html

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/25/2019 9:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2019 9:29 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

30-40? So you were drinking on average 4-6 pots of coffee a day? You must have been chronically dehydrated and never slept at all.

"It would likely take anywhere from 50-100 cups of coffee to result in a lethal dose of caffeine," Robert Glatter, an emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City said.

Ultimately you would have been knocking on death's door, and having done so without so much as a stomach issue, despite scientific studies showing SO much more.

https://www.inc.com/sarah-kimmorley/19-horrible-things-that-can-happen-if-you-drink-too-much-caffeine.html

Yep. Pretty much the whole way through my teenage years. I wouldn't say without a stomach issue; there definitely was one but I ignored it up until the point that I started getting other problems(a cup of coffee will put me on the floor in pain nowadays).

I didn't start at 30-40; I increased it over time without really even thinking about it. I'd blame programming, if anything, because it was my only real source of income(freelance) in my teens so, I'd sit in front of my computer for hours on end, with the kettle, a bottle of milk and a few tins of freeze-dried coffee beside me, pretty much necking one after another.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2019 9:30 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I'm not sure how we've got on to this, but how can you have a brew and not dunk a biscuit in it?!! There is no better joy than a nice soggy digestive/hobnob/malted milk/kitkat chunky/cadburys finger.......

You're all sick in the head. Don't get me wrong, a dunked biscuit tastes good. But think of all those little crumbs, dissolved sugar, and other impurities ruining a perfectly good cup of tea. Unless of course, you're all bad at making tea. Next you'll be telling me you put the milk in first........

|

2/25/2019 9:34 AM

I wear my helmet, knee/shin guards and elbow pads every time I'm out doing tricks. Helmet and knee/shin guards every time I'm on my bike (I have had some gnarly road rash just riding to work so I started wearing my knee/shin guards all the time). I keep my gloves on me every time I ride too. I wear them when it's chilly and when I wear them when my hands start to sweat too much and my grip gets shot.

I took a nasty spill playing hockey and suffered a concussion that lasted over 2 months and I wasn't able to ride until I recovered. I'd hate to have that happen again while riding my bike.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

2/25/2019 10:34 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

You're all sick in the head. Don't get me wrong, a dunked biscuit tastes good. But think of all those little crumbs, dissolved sugar, and other impurities ruining a perfectly good cup of tea. Unless of course, you're all bad at making tea. Next you'll be telling me you put the milk in first........

Hahaha you show up with Tea around these parts and you’ll get laughed out of the job site. Coffee is for some reason “the mans drink” around here Tea goes along with those drinking hot chocolate.

??

|

2/25/2019 10:51 AM

I drink hot chocolate.

|