Wider rims less chance to break spokes

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2018 4:20 AM

Hi guys,

I am thinking to put a ribcage gsport rim over the rollcage on my rear wheel. If the rim is wider do I have less chance to break spokes or it doesn’t matter?
Thanks

|

7/25/2018 4:55 AM

It doesn't really matter. The only way you'll really break a spoke is by hitting it. Get some hub guards on the side you have pegs and the chance of hitting them is pretty slim.

|

7/25/2018 5:04 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It doesn't really matter. The only way you'll really break a spoke is by hitting it. Get some hub guards on the side you have ...more

That and poorly built wheels...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/25/2018 6:50 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It doesn't really matter. The only way you'll really break a spoke is by hitting it. Get some hub guards on the side you have ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

That and poorly built wheels...

That or if you go huge.

|

7/25/2018 7:03 AM

Hi guys,

thank you for the replies.
So, if a wider rim doesn’t affect the spokes, why people decide to get a wider ( and heavier ) rim over a thiner on the rear?
I mean..why should I go for a rib instead of a roll if the resistance it’s the same and if is 50gr heavier?
Also..I am not a pro but I have broken spokes by doing nose 180 and hop whips..so I don’t think you can break them only if the get touched..unless the wheel has been built wrong.

Thank you,

mattia

|

7/25/2018 8:53 AM

mattiabmx wrote:

Hi guys,

thank you for the replies.
So, if a wider rim doesn’t affect the spokes, why people decide to get a wider ( and ...more

Wider rims make your tire "roll" over the rim less when you carve hard which affects your stability when doing ceryain tricks. Also makes your tires look bigger.

Im sure there are other reasons as well.

|

7/25/2018 9:01 AM

If you don't maintain them, they'll also break...

|

7/25/2018 9:15 AM

dead goon wrote:

Broke a spoke two weeks ago, I believe I over tightened it. Riding 35 spokes and a cracked rim in the rear, Kind of waiting for it to explode so I can build up a Ribcage I got.

|

7/25/2018 9:19 AM

I'm obviously too good at building wheels laughing
It takes quite a big impact to snap spokes, and usually loads will go at once, and you'll destroy the rim.
Ribcages have an extra rib in them making them stronger (the rim itself is stiffer, so won't buckle as easily). Whether that extra strength or weight is needed is up to you.

Technically, a wider rim won't buckle as easily, but the design of the rim has a bigger effect. Eg, I doubt a federal stance xl is as strong as a ribcage or rollcage because of the design. Well designed rims are stronger than simple wide rims. I had alienation felon rims, and I genuinely think they're the best sttength/weight/cost rims on the market. Never needed to true them in 2 years. Kinda regret getting rid of them, but I was taken in by g sports reputation. I haven't had a problem with my rollcages, apart from the nipples don't sit in the hole as nicely. But it's a lot of money to fork out

|

7/25/2018 10:10 AM

dead goon wrote:

Phunny93 wrote:

Broke a spoke two weeks ago, I believe I over tightened it. Riding 35 spokes and a cracked rim in the rear, Kind of waiting ...more

But you also run the possibility of destroying your hub by doing this...

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/25/2018 10:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2018 10:36 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

This is true but I've never built a wheel and can't afford to get one built-If I had the funds I wouldn't be able to get to a shop without my bike! Can't Afford to have my bike un-rideable for a even day, It's how I get to work. I can lace a wheel but they come out super fucked up and I can never get them true from that point.

I've fucked myself basically, was in a hospital most of my teens so never got a license/car, no time and it's like x3 more expensive in L.A to get a vehicle registered.

I've been telling myself to try building the Ribcage over the weekend and then call in on Monday if it goes wrong, but eh.

|

7/25/2018 11:22 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

Broke a spoke two weeks ago, I believe I over tightened it. Riding 35 spokes and a cracked rim in the rear, Kind of waiting ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

Phunny93 wrote:

This is true but I've never built a wheel and can't afford to get one built-If I had the funds I wouldn't be able to get to a ...more

If you can lace it up you've already done the hardest part. Just take your time and be patient smile only tighten the spokes by a quarter turn and keep the tension even. Count the threads on the spokes as you tighten the nipples if you need to smile

|

7/25/2018 12:13 PM

mattiabmx wrote:

Hi guys,

I am thinking to put a ribcage gsport rim over the rollcage on my rear wheel. If the rim is wider do I have less ...more

It makes no difference at all. A good rim vs. a great rim makes more of a difference (and it’s still small).

You have a couple of key things to not have spokes break. And even with the things I am going to list, you still can break some at times. Be it a 1.5 rim or a 2.5 (just for numbers) makes zero difference. Now the factors that mean more or less chance.

1- Keep track of your wheels. True them and tighten lose spokes as soon as you see or notice them.

2- Spoke tension. Find a good article about building wheels and maintenance on them. You want a true rim, with good tension on each spoke.

3- Don’t get cheap spokes. This is just something that you should figure out without thinking. Cheap things don’t last as long. Personally, I like DT spokes that are double butted. But, they are higher in cost. Primo and others make some very good spokes as well.

4- If you happen to beak one, replace it asap with a new spoke. Not a spoke off an old wheel. I have a rule I use that helps with this and will help you. If to build 2 wheels it takes 2 packs of spokes. Buy 3, 4 if you have a few different sizes you need. I always have 10 extra spokes of each length. That way IF one goes, I can replace it as soon as I get home.

5- Try to get better at riding. Better landings and grinds tends to keep spokes from getting bashed into stuff or compressed over and over from bad landings. Yes, we can’t always land picture perfect but the more we can land pretty smooth vs. hard all the time it helps. And better grinds keep the risk of hitting a spoke (or multiple) on things.

6- Just like you should be doing before or after every ride. Give your bike a once over. Make sure you see no slight cracks on anything or lose/broken spokes. If you do this every single ride. I can assure you that you will 1, have less problem with breaking spokes because you will catch them before it happens (same with every other part). 2, a kinda clean bike with everything tight (and you know everything is because you checked) just rides better and gives you confidence. Seeing you then know minus a literal part failure your 100% set. OH, and any time you hear a weird sound...check it. And seeing we are talking spokes, they tend to kinda creak when you are rolling (not pedaling). If you notice that, it’s a sure sign of lose of about to be lose/break spokes.

|

7/25/2018 12:54 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm obviously too good at building wheels laughing
It takes quite a big impact to snap spokes, and usually loads will go at once, and ...more

I see lots of people riding alienation. they are super sick!
Thank you. I 'll go with the ribcage without doubts than.

|

7/25/2018 1:00 PM

mattiabmx wrote:

Hi guys,

I am thinking to put a ribcage gsport rim over the rollcage on my rear wheel. If the rim is wider do I have less ...more

Gack2000 wrote:

It makes no difference at all. A good rim vs. a great rim makes more of a difference (and it’s still small).

You have a ...more

Thank you so much for the clear and complete answer.
I will try to answer you with your same pattern:

1. I never built a wheel in my life but I can replace spokes and fix if the wheel is not straight.

2. thank you, I will.

3. I didn't know that...i mean.. I was going to buy bsd spokes which should be fine..but maybe I'll go with odyssey.

4. I will probably buy another pack of spare when I will purchase the wheel.

5. I don't break spokes often..maybe 1 each month.

6. Yeah, I know what you mean..when all the parts of the bike are checed and tighten up, it feels better.

By the way..since I won't build the wheel..should I ask for a 3 or 4 pattern?

Thank you so much!!!

|