Wierd flat...

Related:
Create New Tag

9/10/2016 3:56 PM

Was riding a few days ago and everything was fine. Wake up the next morning and my rear tire is flat. Take the tire off, look it and the tube over and cant see where the air is escaping from. Aired up the tube a little and squeezed it in the bathtub with water to try and locate the whole but nothing...wtf is going on here?

|

9/10/2016 4:16 PM

Just buy a new tube and forget about it

|

9/10/2016 4:38 PM

Well just tried airing it up again and around 60 psi I could feel where the hole was. Probably a thorn got me. Gonna try to patch it since I have a kit so why not.

|

9/11/2016 12:20 AM

For future reference, ALWAYS inspect your rim regardless of how a flat happens, you never know if the problem is REALLY what you think it is.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/11/2016 8:42 AM

readybmxer wrote:

For future reference, ALWAYS inspect your rim regardless of how a flat happens, you never know if the problem is REALLY what ...more

I agree with this 100%. My friend popped 6 tubes in 1 day, and not even while doing anything. Just riding. He check his rim and tire over each time, but couldn't find anything. When he eventually made it home, he made a second rim strip out of a popped tube and the problem stopped.

|

9/12/2016 11:01 AM

Personally I pay attention to where everything is when I remove the tube to inspect for a flat, and then I reference where the hole is to determine the cause. Tire side is either a puncture, or rarely a pinch.

Rim side is obvious.

2 small holes side by side is a pinch. Sometimes you find that on both sides of the tube.

If not a pinch, then I locate the sharp (or where it would be in the tire) and remove if one is found.

Then new tube time. I don't patch them, patches are designed as a temporary fix to get you to a place you can replace them. Sometimes they last weeks/months, sometimes you get the tire on and some air in it and it goes right then.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura