Wierdest Thing Ever

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2016 1:12 PM

This instagram account called Proteus_BMX followed me so I decide to check them out. Turns out they have a sponsorship program thingy. So I was like "why not?" so I entered the form just because I felt like it. When they emailed me back this is what the email said.

Hey Arron,
We're thrilled to hear you're interested in Proteus Clothing Co. We could use more representatives from your area. After reviewing your application we can tell that you're a skilled and passionate BMX athlete. You seem very talented and worthy of a sponsorship. However, as much as we'd like to, we cannot offer you a full sponsorship that includes free apparel because you don't quite qualify as a pro athlete
With that said, we still see tremendous potential in your biking and we would love to support your passion and have you represent our brand. We've concluded the best deal we can offer you is an entry-level sponsorship. The entry-level sponsorship deal includes the following perks for one payment of $25:
1. At first, you will get a sponsorship package worth $110 called the "Proteus Bundle”, pictured here that includes everything you need to represent Proteus.
2. You will be subscribed to receive a FREE Proteus t-shirt every month.
3. You will receive a code with the Proteus Bundle that grants you 70% off store-wide. FOREVER!
4. You will get a shoutout on one of our Instagram accounts which have over 250,000 followers combined
5. You will get plenty of water proof Proteus stickers
6. You will be allowed to post any video edits you have on our YouTube channel.
7. You will receive a shoutout on our website www.proteusco.com

Ultimately being an entry-level sponsor for Proteus will grant you plenty of apparel and accessories to represent us. Big-time recognition on social media. Plus long-term benefits such as 70% off our apparel, being featured on our social media, and we'll even offer you free apparel every month. The deal is well worth the initial $25 investment. Between the 70% off discount and $420 worth of free t-shirts we offer through the free monthly tee subscription annually it certainly pays for itself.

Please let us know if you'd be interested in the sponsorship deal and we'll forward you directions on how to get the Proteus Bundle. Thank you very much and we look forward to your response.

I don't see why I would pay them for something that is helping them. So I'm not going to do it. What is everyones opinion on this?

|

I am a monkey.

4/19/2016 1:31 PM

I don't consider anything where you pay to be a part of it a "sponsorship" it's more like a membership.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/19/2016 2:24 PM

What Dave said , honestly 99% of Instagram / Facebook "sponsorships" seem like a hoax or knock off . Unless a company comes to you and gives you parts and a paycheck with a spot on the team , I don't think it's a sponsorship really . Make a crew or something and start your own

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/19/2016 2:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2016 2:47 PM

Although 25 bucks for a bunch of shirts isn't bad, basically you give them money for them to send some stuff and get a ton of dirt cheap advertising.

That's how Hookit works for the most part too.

Honestly I need tshirts. Maybe I should do it and link to my old edits haha.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/19/2016 7:25 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I don't consider anything where you pay to be a part of it a "sponsorship" it's more like a membership.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Also the package only has one shirt,one pair of sunglasses, crappy earbuds, and stickers.

|

I am a monkey.

4/19/2016 8:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2016 11:32 PM

Didn't think much of their account when I got the notification, but I it doesn't even matter.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

4/19/2016 8:56 PM

If they're anything like that dipshit "Beyond The Rest Clothing" thing, don't bother. Don't bother anyway, their clothing looks like something I could mock up with MS Paint in about 30 seconds. Real original designs they got there, "brand" name and logo printed onto generic clothing that probably costs them $20 for a batch of 100 or something which is why they'll give you free shirts every month.

Any "company" or "brand" that makes you pay an initial fee is more of a membership like Dave said. I mean yeah you could get shoutouts and stuff but still, it's basically a scam. At least it's not like beyond the rest where they make you buy a shit ton of products first, then you might get a free item or two.

|

4/19/2016 11:58 PM

I'd also be wary of them not actually giving you anything. They might be planning on just straight up taking kids money and running. Plus they're not actually a proper bmx company so I wouldn't want to support them anyway. Just another clothing company trying to cash in.

|

4/20/2016 7:40 AM

Another one of those trash bmx companies that throw their crappy logo on a crappy shirt and call it a brand.

|

4/20/2016 7:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/20/2016 7:45 AM

Yeah I'd steer clear personally, seems too good to be true.

Plus if you actually go on their website all the shirts are just stock images of shirts with their logo photoshopped onto.

Scammers for sure.

|

8/17/2016 2:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2016 2:52 PM

I'm sponsored by Proteus Clothing and I've really enjoyed it so far .I'm not the best at BMX but it was nice they accepted me. So far they gave me a few shoutouts which has given me a lot of new followers. The Proteus Bundle they send is nice, I like their earbuds and sunglasses. Also their shirts have a cool design and are pretty comfortable to ride in. The 70% store wide discount is great because I get shirts for like $9. Also they offer a free t-shirt every month so I always have something fresh to wear. Sure it's not a contract sponsorship where you get paid, but it is a good place to start if you want really good benefits from a clothing company.

|

8/17/2016 7:01 PM

Tim Thomas wrote:

I'm sponsored by Proteus Clothing and I've really enjoyed it so far .I'm not the best at BMX but it was nice they accepted me. So far they gave me a few shoutouts which has given me a lot of new followers. The Proteus Bundle they send is nice, I like their earbuds and sunglasses. Also their shirts have a cool design and are pretty comfortable to ride in. The 70% store wide discount is great because I get shirts for like $9. Also they offer a free t-shirt every month so I always have something fresh to wear. Sure it's not a contract sponsorship where you get paid, but it is a good place to start if you want really good benefits from a clothing company.

If followers are what you want, that's one thing (and not something I could understand, but I am old), but it's not a sponsorship at all. It's a membership with some benefits.

Based on you saying you get shirts for 9 bucks, and they are 70 percent off, that would tell me their retail cost is something like 30 bucks. That is AWFUL for a tshirt.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/17/2016 10:40 PM

That guy works for the company, I'm guessing, Dave.

Three month old post, his first post on here is telling us how awesome the company is? I call BS on this guy.

|

8/17/2016 11:13 PM

Tim Thomas wrote:

They accepted you because they knew you'd buy stuff from them. You don't even have to be able to bunnyhop to get accepted by them, you just have to be willing to buy their ugly ass clothing that looks like they outsourced to high school graphics design classes.

Hate to break it to you, but like Dave said, you aren't sponsored. You're apart of a membership with benefits, at best. But hey, $9 for an ugly t shirt with generic designs just so kids can say they're "sponsored"? They probably make a killing at least recruiting every gullible kid they can on instagram with the ol' "Hey! What do you think about being a rep for us?! Shoot us an email!" deal.

|

8/17/2016 11:32 PM

Proteus is stupid-eus. Besides, sponsored or not, you're still the same rider.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

11/6/2016 9:15 PM

Just in case people are curious about this still, I had the same thing happen to me, same email and everything but decided to go through with it. I got the package they promised so its not 100% a scam but I think its just like a cash grab for the company. They probably give out the "sponsorship" to everyone who applies, and since they dont give you anything totally for free (cause you still have to pay for shipping with the monthly shirts) its basically like a no risk thing for proteus and might encourage people to keep buying merch from them. Not a bad business model if you think about it, but still kinda scummy lol.

|

11/6/2016 9:20 PM

Hugh Mungus wrote:

Just in case people are curious about this still, I had the same thing happen to me, same email and everything but decided to go through with it. I got the package they promised so its not 100% a scam but I think its just like a cash grab for the company. They probably give out the "sponsorship" to everyone who applies, and since they dont give you anything totally for free (cause you still have to pay for shipping with the monthly shirts) its basically like a no risk thing for proteus and might encourage people to keep buying merch from them. Not a bad business model if you think about it, but still kinda scummy lol.

Yea, I've had them comment on a few of my posts. I just ignored them

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales