Cracking sound from stem

Related:
Create New Tag

9/17/2014 1:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2014 8:43 PM

So when I ride my bike and move my bars to the right and then it makes a cracking sound.. what is this? I was thinking it may be because I leave my bike in my truck when i go to work and gets really hot in there and the grease may get hot and slimy and just poop out but I have no idea.. Ive had this bike for 3 weeks bought it brand new and the sound is really annoying.. Ive tightened it up and loosed up my top cap and it still makes the sound.. I think its the headset and I may have to Greece it, but im not sure.. or could it be the thing that you slid into your headset to make sure your bars dont move back and forth I think its called a shime?

|

Bang Bang bmx

9/17/2014 1:59 PM

The complete IS a aftermarket frame , hense being called the "WIFI". Along with that , it comes with skyhigh bars , blade 2 forks , and some topload stem.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/17/2014 2:41 PM

ya its aftermarket frame/forks/bars

|

9/17/2014 3:13 PM

The whole bike is aftermarket except the wheelset.

The wheels are the same as on Fit Signature level bikes, double wall Revenge Rims, with Sealed female hubs front and rear.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

9/17/2014 9:37 PM

Tis your headset.. take it all apart (stem, fork and bar) and see if the headset is blown or anything.. or just loosen it up a bit..
just play around till you fix it really.. sounds like headset to me

|

9/17/2014 9:42 PM

you should grease the bearing seats in your frame, maybe replace the headset bearings as well
headtube might be ovalized
the compression bolt might be too tiht
your front wheel's spokes might also be making a creaking sound

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/17/2014 9:48 PM

could be a loose headset, or that there's no grease where the headset bearings sit. always grease bearing seats.

I would suggest it could be an ovalized headset, but you said it's a new bike so that's unlikely, but still possible.

|

9/17/2014 11:20 PM

Did everything above and I'll see if it keeps happening then I guess I'll just have to deal with it until headset poops out then just get another one

|

Bang Bang bmx

9/18/2014 8:46 AM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Did everything above and I'll see if it keeps happening then I guess I'll just have to deal with it until headset poops out ...more

take it to a lbs.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "