Will dinting a chainstay weaken the frame?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2019 5:03 AM

Cracked my fly frame. Saw this WTP Trust frame on eBay. "Chainstay dinted to fit larger sprockets".
Wierd...but is it ok? Or is it likely to snap? Is this something that ppl sometimes do or is it totally unusual.
I ride street..fairly hard. Photo
Cheers

|

4/12/2019 5:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2019 7:47 AM

That's a hack thing to do, no doubt. But there's usually a "dent" in that location for sprocket clearance anyway. & considering that there's a brace on the inside, it would probably be fine. Outside of the peen marks from the hammer, they actually did a pretty nice job, to be honest. Sorta depends on how much they are asking.

|

4/12/2019 5:32 AM

I mean...i'd ride it.

BUT, I wouldn't buy it.

|

4/12/2019 6:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2019 6:26 AM

jmz313 wrote:

I mean...i'd ride it.

BUT, I wouldn't buy it.

This is the correct answer.

The sprocket dent is definitely a thing, but usually it's done before the frame is actually welded or put together. This is a ghetto way of doing it that I wouldn't really pay for but I'd ride if someone gave it to me.

This is, of course, assuming you want a frame with really big sprocket clearance? If so, the black magic from S&M has clearance for a 33 tooth I believe. But if you say you ride mostly street, you're probably not gonna go higher than 28T

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/12/2019 6:27 AM

If they are asking more than like 50 bucks and/or you are in a pinch, inspect it really well. If your budget is over 100 bucks, go to bmxguru.com cause they have a handful of frames starting at 100 bucks.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/12/2019 7:09 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

If they are asking more than like 50 bucks and/or you are in a pinch, inspect it really well. If your budget is over 100 bucks, go to bmxguru.com cause they have a handful of frames starting at 100 bucks.

Yep I just ordered a verde Neyer frame for 100 bucks ?

|

4/12/2019 12:49 PM

Thanks for the replys?
Nah I'm not gonna bother getting it..no use spending money on something I'm gonna b paranoid about snapping for ever

|

4/12/2019 12:50 PM

jmz313 wrote:

I mean...i'd ride it.

BUT, I wouldn't buy it.

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

This is the correct answer.

The sprocket dent is definitely a thing, but usually it's done before the frame is actually welded or put together. This is a ghetto way of doing it that I wouldn't really pay for but I'd ride if someone gave it to me.

This is, of course, assuming you want a frame with really big sprocket clearance? If so, the black magic from S&M has clearance for a 33 tooth I believe. But if you say you ride mostly street, you're probably not gonna go higher than 28T

Nope I don't need anything with special spricket clearance.

|

4/12/2019 12:50 PM

nigejfflybikes wrote:

Thanks for the replys?
Nah I'm not gonna bother getting it..no use spending money on something I'm gonna b paranoid about snapping for ever

Just curious, what are they asking?

|

4/12/2019 1:02 PM

55£

|

4/12/2019 1:42 PM

You’re in the uk?
I’ve got a frame you can have for the cost of postage. It’s a wtp from a complete, can’t remember which one, has a 20.25 tt I think. Hit me up on ig @no.pegs.just.steve

|