Will my stem fit?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2017 5:22 AM

Hey, just got this "new" bike off Craigslist cause got stolen last week anyways its not a very good bike got it for cheap though. So I'm gonna custom build it and I'm trying to buy a new pair of forks, New headset and stem off danscomp but before I took it apart and either the forks I have now are very short or something I dunno. The stem that's on there now is a quill stem I believe its called and if I were to get a normal stem it wouldn't fit because theres no room for it to go. If I buy all 3 of those things will it come together or is my frame weird. Photo

Photo

|

7/25/2017 5:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2017 5:28 AM

Lol yeah i think he sold you a weird bike. It's a one inch stem. That bike is 25 years old.

|

7/25/2017 5:36 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Lol yeah i think he sold you a weird bike. It's a one inch stem. That bike is 25 years old.

I bought It from some mom for $40 lol

|

7/25/2017 7:58 AM

Alcatrazz wrote:

you overpaid

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/25/2017 8:14 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Alcatrazz wrote:

Spenlard wrote:

you overpaid

Lol I posted it back on craigslist for $100 3 people wanted it under 2 hours so I definitely didnt

|

7/25/2017 8:51 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Alcatrazz wrote:

Spenlard wrote:

you overpaid

Its a Hoffman Bikes Condor from early to mid nineties depending on livery, if its complete i wouldn't say he overpaid at all.

|

7/25/2017 9:32 AM

It is definitely worth more than $40...except someone put the gyro plate on the bottom of the headset...what the hell?

|

7/25/2017 9:58 AM

SquirrelBait wrote:

It is definitely worth more than $40...except someone put the gyro plate on the bottom of the headset...what the hell?

yeah, looks like he's bought it in bits, probably been taken apart by whatever kid had it in the 90's and sat there ever since, get some more pics up of what you got. a nice freshen up and it'll be a nice midschool bike to cruise about on.

|

7/25/2017 10:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2017 10:01 AM

Anyway... a new modern stem and fork combo won't work on that frame and thus a new stem won't work either. You can get 1" threadless headsets but they cost much more than what you paid for the bike...

I went down that rabbit trail trying to go threadless on my '87 redline. No dice.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

7/25/2017 10:55 AM

Spenlard wrote:

you overpaid

For a classic Condor frame, no he did not.

It is a 1 inch HT, it is a solid bike but technology changed. That Gyro plate should NOT be where it is though. Clean it up well and flip it to make some extra cash, or keep it because the Condor is rad.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/25/2017 12:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2017 12:28 PM

Alcatrazz wrote:

Spenlard wrote:

you overpaid

dave lawrence wrote:

It is a 1 inch HT, it is a solid bike but technology changed. That Gyro plate ...more

I'd vote keep it, if you have everything for it, then get it all freshened up as best as you can and keep it original, its worth more stock and original than modified with newer parts, its like classic cars, the completely original stuff tends to be more sought after and worth more than the restomodded stuff.

its not like you have really put out a lot of cash on it, if you have the space then keep it, the value will only go up as the years go on.
Photo

that is what it SHOULD look like, that's a 1992 model

|

7/25/2017 2:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2017 2:28 PM

Spenlard wrote:

you overpaid

dave lawrence wrote:

It is a 1 inch HT, it is a solid bike but technology changed. That Gyro plate ...more

weegaz22 wrote:

I'd vote keep it, if you have everything for it, then get it all freshened up as best as you can and keep it original, its ...more

Headtube downtube top tube junction is different.

I'd bet it is a 95 Condor.
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/hoffman/35169

But could be as late as a 98.

Email the Serial Number to Hoffman Bikes and find out for sure.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/25/2017 3:41 PM

It will be worth a lot, in about 10-15 years. People pay thousands of dollars for 80s bikes right now. Give it a few years. It's a very iconic frame, and I guarantee it will be sought after. Hang on to it. Don't beat on it.

|

7/25/2017 4:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2017 4:06 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Headtube downtube top tube junction is different.

I'd bet it is a 95 Condor.
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/hoffman/35169

But ...more

oh aye, forgot it had a fused head junction, they started doing that in 95, prior to that they were seperate like the one i posted, i dont think its a 95 as all the 95's i've looked at if you look at the "condor" logo on the headtube they all have flames behind the Condor, His has no flames but stars, it could be they just had a different logo on the chrome plated bikes compared to painted ones, all the later 90's condors had HB stickers on the headtube, so its between 95-97 ish, i cant' find his headtube sticker anywhere on bmx museum though, there's also the possibility its been re-stickered at some point in time.

|

7/29/2017 12:15 PM

If you decide to sell it, post it here on vital too!!!

|

7/31/2017 11:40 AM

johnnypoopoopants wrote:

I think I'm gonna sell it where would I on here? Judt in general?

|

7/31/2017 11:55 AM

johnnypoopoopants wrote:

Alcatrazz wrote:

I think I'm gonna sell it where would I on here? Judt in general?

There's a for sale section in the forum list

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT