Will the cassette be irrelevant by 2025🤭

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2019 4:08 PM

With todays’ technology and every day growing popularly of the freecoaster , can we assume that the cassette will have minimal sales or be gone?
With the Eclat seismic cassette out now and Flybikes magneto cassette on the way, it won’t really hinder freecoaster sales.
Is the freecoaster a trend or is here to stay?

|

9/15/2019 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2019 4:13 PM

cassettes won’t ever die , people race , and people like going fast , pat casey is one of the few coaster guys I can think of that doesn’t go turtle speed at everything , as long as there is speed demons cassettes will live on , I rode coaster for 3 years it was fun , but I switched back , personally I find cassettes more fun , you don’t really need a coaster to go fast backwards either , mike aitken in his prime was proof of that

|

9/15/2019 6:22 PM

nando2075 wrote:

With todays’ technology and every day growing popularly of the freecoaster , can we assume that the cassette will have minimal sales or be gone?
With the Eclat seismic cassette out now and Flybikes magneto cassette on the way, it won’t really hinder freecoaster sales.
Is the freecoaster a trend or is here to stay?

Freecoasters are not a trend, the tech will grow and allow for less slack (freenight).

Cassettes will never go away either, they are simple and reliable.

|

9/15/2019 6:59 PM

People back in 2014-2015 were asking if free coasters were a trend because a lot of pros were still riding cassetes back then and there were only two or three companies making a coaster (cult, federal, and khe come to mind because I think those were the only offerings for a coaster back then). With free coasters nowadays coming on complete bikes and most manufacturers making their own coaster I don’t think that it is a trend because here we are 4 years later and most people I know ride one. If you live in SoCal, like I do, most of the pros lives here and ride street have a coaster and most people who ride down here who ride street have a coaster. I don’t think freecoasters are going anywhere. Personally me cassettes are cool, however I love being able to ride backwards without pedaling. I don’t think new cassette tech is going to persuade me that I need a cassette. I feel like I’d need market data to prove this point but I don’t have that available to me. I do know just from my experience in growing up in the Bmx hotspot that a Tuesday and Thursday night vans indoor park sesh is that most people on the street course have a coaster and all the mini ramp dudes run a cassette. Just my take on it.

|

9/15/2019 7:44 PM

Freecoasters have been around longer than cassettes. Neither are going anywhere though.

|

9/15/2019 11:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2019 11:46 PM

In the year 2525...

Well, now I have to watch Steven Hamilton's part in "CUTS".

|

9/16/2019 12:03 AM

No, but we will have 3.0” tires.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

9/16/2019 12:17 AM

readybmxer wrote:

No, but we will have 3.0” tires.

Future is there already.

|

9/16/2019 5:05 AM

Nope. Trails. There are people who don't run pegs, and don't go fakie.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/16/2019 6:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2019 6:39 AM

These new cassettes with a lesser amount of teeth, I'd imagine to have a more slack engagement than a typical cassette with pawl system which have a lot more finer teeth?

|

9/16/2019 8:29 AM

streethack wrote:

These new cassettes with a lesser amount of teeth, I'd imagine to have a more slack engagement than a typical cassette with pawl system which have a lot more finer teeth?

The new ones have more engagement points. Much quicker than an average 3 or 4 pawl (obvs not including hubs like elites etc). But how quick does anyone really need it?

|

9/16/2019 12:35 PM

How exactly are they quicker though?

At a quick glance the Eclat seismic hub has 36 internal teeth requiring 10 degrees rotation, and the Fly magneto has 26 teeth requiring 13.85 degrees rotation between points of engagement.

Just discovered the WTP supreme hub, with 18 teeth that'd be 20 degrees rotation.

I haven't got an exact tooth count of a typical cassette but I think 72 internal teeth which of course is 5 degrees rotation between each point.

|

9/17/2019 4:43 AM

Freecoasters aren't new. The first viable freecoaster was available int he late 1980's. If it's a "trend" it has been a long running trend. Hell, the cassette, as we know it in BMX, wasn't even in existence when the freecoaster came about At that time, nearly everyone ran a freewheel. As far as BMX is concerned, you could argue that the cassette is newer than the freecoaster. So the real question is: "Is the cassette a trend or fad?".

|

9/17/2019 4:48 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Freecoasters have been around longer than cassettes. Neither are going anywhere though.

Actually, I believe Shimano had a BMX Cassette hub in the early(er?) 80's. It was in the DX line at about the same time that the DX pedals first hit the market.

|

9/17/2019 5:01 PM

Free coasters have been a trend for awhile now yes they have existed far longer than the trend stage but still a trend because the fact people are getting them just because their favorite pro uses one

I personally ride a coaster simply because i got tired of the bike rolling slow asf especially on manual 180s and other fakie tricks because no matter how good i am at back pedaling its just not possible to maintain good speed with that garbage and im not selling my soul for extra momentum like courage adams lol those backwards manuals are straight up which craft

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

9/17/2019 5:25 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Free coasters have been a trend for awhile now yes they have existed far longer than the trend stage but still a trend because the fact people are getting them just because their favorite pro uses one

I personally ride a coaster simply because i got tired of the bike rolling slow asf especially on manual 180s and other fakie tricks because no matter how good i am at back pedaling its just not possible to maintain good speed with that garbage and im not selling my soul for extra momentum like courage adams lol those backwards manuals are straight up which craft

I never noticed a difference between manny 180s on a cassette vs. a freecoaster. Good technique translates from one to the other.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson