Winter Riding Due to Covid

Related:
Create New Tag

10/22/2020 4:12 AM

We are getting hit with round 2 of snow-up to about 8 inches on the ground now and it isn't supposed to stop until tonight (it's 6 am as I type this). I think outdoor riding is going to be rare for a while.

So what do you guys plan to do to ride? I heard indoor parks have to schedule and or limit the amount of riders-and being 2+ hours from the nearest indoor spot, it is unlikely that I would be able to score a spot unless I got there super early.

I figure I might build a little kicker and take it to a parking garage in a town nearby (unless people shovel off/out the free park somewhere). Outside of that, exercising in my basement, might dig out the CX or MTB for some snow cruises. If we get a break from the snow and it gets cleared off I MIGHT have some street to ride.

As I get older, I hate winter more and more.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/22/2020 4:47 AM

High speed snow angels.

I remember seeing a video a few years back of a guy from Denver that rode street year round. Doing handrails in the snow.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/22/2020 5:03 AM

That's probably Duncan Gore-pretty sure he was on here for a long time under the name colorado springs.

Rad dude, does a rail on his Bday and rides in some snow. The hard part is when you get half a foot at a time (or more).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/22/2020 5:03 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

We are getting hit with round 2 of snow-up to about 8 inches on the ground now and it isn't supposed to stop until tonight (it's 6 am as I type this). I think outdoor riding is going to be rare for a while.

So what do you guys plan to do to ride? I heard indoor parks have to schedule and or limit the amount of riders-and being 2+ hours from the nearest indoor spot, it is unlikely that I would be able to score a spot unless I got there super early.

I figure I might build a little kicker and take it to a parking garage in a town nearby (unless people shovel off/out the free park somewhere). Outside of that, exercising in my basement, might dig out the CX or MTB for some snow cruises. If we get a break from the snow and it gets cleared off I MIGHT have some street to ride.

I am with you

it appears the closest indoor park to me is open, at least based on their FB, so hopefully it's not too hard to get in....however at my age, i wish they had morning sessions on the weekends...a nice 9am session is what i want....wishful thinking tho

i did grab 2 plastic kickers at a garage sale about a month ago, i really don't like them but i guess i can make some use of them if need be in the winter

i usually travel like 4 miles one way, ride spots in the town and then 4 miles back and hit spots in between which is miserable when it's cold, might just focus on hop tricks this winter to improve bike control and stuff either in front of my house or a local tennis court, or just throw my bike in my car and drive to a spot i want to ride that day if it's not too bad out

|

10/22/2020 6:21 AM

I'd plan to spend some time riding in the parking garage and learning flatland tricks. Ground Rules DVD is how to get started:

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

10/22/2020 7:46 AM

Metalbmxer wrote:

I'd plan to spend some time riding in the parking garage and learning flatland tricks. Ground Rules DVD is how to get started:

I might ride some flat in my basement. I had the Hang 5 flatland Instructional VHS back in the day. Bobby Carter was a solid rider!

Probably end up on other bikes though.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/22/2020 8:11 AM

I’m in the uk. Winter isn’t much different from autumn or spring. I’m just hoping to have more time to ride. Although work will get busier, I’m going to be tempted to start turning down overtime due to a change in my circumstances.

Isn’t there a local outdoor you could team up with locals to clear every time it’s not snowing?

|

10/22/2020 8:23 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I’m in the uk. Winter isn’t much different from autumn or spring. I’m just hoping to have more time to ride. Although work will get busier, I’m going to be tempted to start turning down overtime due to a change in my circumstances.

Isn’t there a local outdoor you could team up with locals to clear every time it’s not snowing?

There's a crappy free one half a mile from my house, or a 21K ish sq foot one 25 miles away-but we will need nice days for that. Fortunately it is set up there where I could probably bring my snowblower and blast a bunch of stuff out.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/22/2020 8:41 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Yea , I feel you. That's why my dad moved us from Chicago back in the 80s to SO Cal and never looked back. I love the style and architecture of Chicago, the history it has and all the relatives I have there. But, I wouldn't move back to anywhere in that state even if you gave me a free house. I got too spoiled with California weather and my old ass wouldn't handle one winter week there. Lol

|

10/22/2020 10:06 AM

We've (Maryland) been lucky with the weather so far this year. Rains a lot, but as temperature goes, still very tolerable to be outside. Dave, you keep that damn snow and don't be sending it our way, I'm not ready yet. That said, why didn't I think of riding in the parking garage? I have 24/7 access to an 8 story one via work and have taken my longboard in there a few times, but for some reason never thought about riding the bike in there. As for riding in the snow this year, it's a maybe. I've got the tires for it on the MTB. Guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

|

10/22/2020 12:18 PM

Shitty weather here too. Winter is pretty much November to Late April if you’re lucky. I’ll probably just do and work on a bunch of hop tricks since that’s how I mostly ride now anyways.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/22/2020 5:44 PM

The Navy took care of me, I got moved from Connecticut to South Carolina last month. No more snow in the winter here. Good for BMX, bad for snowboarding. A winter hobby is nice in the states it snows a lot, I do more hiking/fishing/snowboarding in the cold months.

|

10/22/2020 7:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2020 7:02 PM

I'm in Michigan, so I'll be getting my boat ready, hopefully I'll be able to take it for a spin before the new year..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYCjKFovqvc

|

10/22/2020 7:19 PM

I'm in New Orleans so I'm fortunate enough to have rideable winters. Once summer comes though, I take off like a teacher. Lol. 98 degrees with 100% humidity is like drowning while walking.

But when I lived in NJ I was fortunate enough to have a mom who didn't mind driving 2 hours to the Incline Club. But on the weeks she wouldn't take me I had to improvise.

I had a factory across the street from my house & they had a few openings I could get into. Wasn't the main building but like truck entries that had cover from snow and some left the trucks unlocked. I just usually grabbed pallets & made shit in the spaces.

As for the cold, I don't really mind it so I can't speak on that. I just layered up.

|