Winterize your bike!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2018 8:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 12:27 PM

This is geared towards non-Californians. Lol

In the video There are some areas I put more grease on than what is portrayed in the video but these are key areas to seal up for minimal corrosion.

You can also put grease in the rear hub but I prefer to use light oil in that area. Id rather have the pawls engage more reliably.

Something I forgot to mention in the video, if you run cartridge bearings in the front hub take them out and coat them with grease as well to form a moisture barrier.

The chain I soak in oil in a plastic ziplock bag and then wipe off the excess before installation.

Put a decent amount of threadlocker on your sprocket bolt.

What is your method?
|

1/12/2018 9:18 AM

Like I commented, I do the same thing becasue it's so humid here in Texas... I just couldn't believe how easily that bottom bracket went in! I hate putting in bottom brackets with out a press, but, I have figures something out, you can use 2 pieces of wood and a vice as a bearing press...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/12/2018 9:33 AM

my method is to not soak my bolts that hold everything together in grease that makes them more likely to come loose.
a simple anti sieze is so much safer and better

|

Hmmm

1/12/2018 9:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 10:10 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Like I commented, I do the same thing becasue it's so humid here in Texas... I just couldn't believe how easily that bottom ...more

One way to do it without a press, is to get an 8" threaded rod, (something substantial, like 1/2-20 thread), a couple washers and a couple nuts. Then assemble the bearings to the frame, with the rod where your spindle would be, a washer and nut on either side, & then slowly tighten from both sides.

|

1/12/2018 9:41 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Like I commented, I do the same thing becasue it's so humid here in Texas... I just couldn't believe how easily that bottom ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

One way to do it without a press, is to get an 8" threaded rod, (something substantial, like 1/2-20 thread), a couple washers ...more

Cool method!

I usually just beat mine in lol.

|

1/12/2018 9:51 AM

I've done this when I teared my bike completely apart.

Putting stuff into plastic bags and marking em really helps.

Just something for the rear hub. Light oil doesn't last a long time (from experience). It's best to use either heavy oil- or even better- light grease. It's the best of both worlds. Then you forget it forever.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

1/12/2018 10:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 11:33 AM

Edman123 wrote:

my method is to not soak my bolts that hold everything together in grease that makes them more likely to come loose.
a simple ...more

My goal with this video was to keep moisture out of the bike. As I said in the video, what I was using is probably not the best but it will work. The red and tacky I was using in the video does actually have some kind of anti-seize, although Im not sure it would be in the same category; Its a general application type deal. As I said in reply to your youtube comment, I am not challenging your experience, I just want to help people keep thier bikes corrosion-free and winter is hard on bikes especially if your city/town salts everywhere.

We all should be checking nuts and bolts before each ride in all seriousness. I know we dont all get around to it every time.

|

1/12/2018 10:32 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Or a large bolt and a couple THICK washers work great too.

I live in Minnesota, and don't do most of that. As some of you know, our DOT uses SALT on roads, which KILLS metal.

I rarely ride when it is wet, and for the most part wipe the salt off the bike before I park it.

BUT I can tell you from Installation of my parts, I already use a liberal amount of proper lubrication/grease and wipe excess. My bike comes apart nicely, and soon I will be doing a FULL overhaul on it (completely disassemble, clean and regrease). That will be closer to spring.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/12/2018 10:33 AM

Edman123 wrote:

a simple ...more

I have updated the video with a couple annotations. One of which is the use of anti-seize on non moving parts such as threads. And using grease on the driver pawls if you are not the type to maintain your rear hub regularly. Thank you for the input.

The updated video will be live later today.

|

1/12/2018 11:29 AM

Edman123 wrote:

a simple ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

My goal with this video was to keep moisture out of the bike. As I said in the video, what I was using is probably not the ...more

i appreciate that you are helping people with the videos, its just that i am extremely particular about how bikes are put together smile

|

Hmmm

1/12/2018 11:34 AM

Edman123 wrote:

a simple ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

My goal with this video was to keep moisture out of the bike. As I said in the video, what I was using is probably not the ...more

Edman123 wrote:

i appreciate that you are helping people with the videos, its just that i am extremely particular about how bikes are put ...more

Thats a good thing! A well-maintained bike is a confident one.

|

1/12/2018 12:27 PM

The updated video.

|

1/12/2018 1:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 1:17 PM

Grease/lubricant goes everywhere that metal touches metal except for clamping areas. All times of the year.

Not sure why you'd want your bolts to get rusty and seize into place. Little dab of grease won't make them magically unthread themselves.. & a little bit really does go a long way when it comes to bolts. Same for splined spindles on cranks.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/12/2018 1:22 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Grease/lubricant goes everywhere that metal touches metal except for clamping areas. All times of the year.

Not sure why ...more

This. I'm running a stem from 2006 with the original bolts. I have briefly run a couple other stems during that time, but back to this one each time. It has been perfect.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/12/2018 1:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 1:28 PM

Also I'd say you over did the grease a bit lol.

No need to grease the Internal BB Spacer, the Spindle Boss, or the the inside of the bearings if theres already grease on the spindle..

And bolts really only need a teeny-tiny bit of grease. I usually just dip the first thread or two into my container of grease, and it's enough to cover the bolt as it threads in.

You made it seem so much more messy than it has to be haha

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/12/2018 1:51 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Also I'd say you over did the grease a bit lol.

No need to grease the Internal BB Spacer, the Spindle Boss, or the the inside ...more

I have had rust develop on the outside of the bb spacers before. Thats why I coat the entire thing, also the spacer is not always perfectly the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of your spindle so there are gaps where it would be possible to have uncoated areas.

I grease the hell out of parts and whatever works its way off isnt needed. I figure its better to overgrease and wipe the excess off than to undergrease and have dry spots.

Just how I do things, debatable but it works for me currently. I like a nice greasy bike... smile

|

1/12/2018 3:12 PM

Winterized...
Photo

|

1/12/2018 3:19 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Winterized...
Photo

Lol.

|

1/12/2018 3:21 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Winterized...
Photo

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol.

I like that... when it's cold outside, (below 50°F) that's my bike, but I just put mine upside down on the floor in my room...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/12/2018 3:23 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Winterized...
Photo

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I like that... when it's cold outside, (below 50F) that's my bike, but I just put mine upside down on the floor in my room...

My wife gets so mad when i have like 4 bikes in the living room...lol

I try to keep it to my sons bike and 1 of mine.

|

1/12/2018 4:32 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

One way to do it without a press, is to get an 8" threaded rod, (something substantial, like 1/2-20 thread), a couple washers ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Cool method!

Wait, so using a hammer on bare metal, to metal isn't good? That's how I do it anyway. I know it's wrong,but it works, if you hit it lightly around the outer edge. Don't hit the shields. It does work. Just don't do it.

|

1/12/2018 4:40 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Cool method!

ggallin422 wrote:

Wait, so using a hammer on bare metal, to metal isn't good? That's how I do it anyway. I know it's wrong,but it works, if you ...more

If it wont tap in i grab a deadblow hammer. Basically a hollowed out plastic mallet covered in rubber and filled with a substance to reduce hammer bounce. If that doesnt work I use my 3lb mini sledge and a thin peice of wood.

|