Wish bones.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/5/2018 3:12 PM

What do you guys think of wish bones? Are they really stronger? If they are why don't more frames have them? I know for sure my next frame will have at least one, if not double wish bones. I like the tom Dugan frame a lot, and a few of the subrosas look really nice too. Obviously the t1 barcode is awesome too, just a little long for me. I think I like the look more than anything, but a lot of people seem to think they are ugly. What do you guys think?

|

1/5/2018 3:23 PM

I think visually they look a bit retro but it does seem like it would be a stronger design. I personally am not interested in wishbones but if strength is what you're after, I cant fault you for it! smile

I think some of the main reasons you dont see them frequently, is because companies are trying to make shorter stays and lighter frames.

|

1/5/2018 3:26 PM

The traditional wishbone is quite a bit weaker for lateral impacts because of the bracing angle but it is just as strong as or stronger than the traditional 2 tube to bb design for vertical impacts.

The Sunday wishbone has a much better bracing angle so it is far stronger both laterally and vertically than the traditional wishbone.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/5/2018 5:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/5/2018 5:19 PM

I was eyeing up the Colony Versatil frame. The seat stay wishbone looks the shit. Plus I like the CS brake mounts.

|

1/5/2018 5:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/5/2018 5:26 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

The traditional wishbone is quite a bit weaker for lateral impacts because of the bracing angle but it is just as strong as or ...more

Wishbones are actually much stronger laterally. You can feel the difference.

|

1/5/2018 5:53 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

The traditional wishbone is quite a bit weaker for lateral impacts because of the bracing angle but it is just as strong as or ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Not from my experience or my understanding of it. Land a little too sideways too many times and the chainstay-wishbone weld will "tear" along the length of the weld, usually on one side but I've done both at once from bailing badly and landing on the frame. Sure, you could argue that the couple of times I've done it and seen it happen were flukes and that you couldn't know how hard the frames were ridden beforehand but I've seen it happen a number of times, always the same method of failure. In my experience, besides the Sunday wishbone, the 2 tube-bb type is quite a bit stronger.

All that said though, the last wishbone frame I had besides my current Sunday Soundwave, was an 04 Volume Ardelean (which cracked on the seatstays and wishbone at the same time) so I'm sure they've improved since then.

One major advantage of wishbones is that they don't need the chainstay tubing to be bent as aggressively as the normal 2 tube-bb in order to get a significantly shorter rear end. This results in a stiffer feel and probably a noticeable increase in strength.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/5/2018 6:02 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Not from my experience or my understanding of it. Land a little too sideways too many times and the chainstay-wishbone weld ...more

Wishbones are objectively stronger. Just a more sturdy design and much more weld contact. Frames almost never crack at the stays, at least these days, so it's more a matter of resistance to twisting and a stiffer feeling. A frame with wishbone(s) will feel significantly stiffer and will stay straight longer. It's not so much the angle of the stays, it's that they're shorter and connected to the bottom bracket with a wide tube. This makes them much stronger laterally. Sunday's wishbones aren't really different, at least geometrically. It just happens that a lot of other frames with wishbones have chainstay brakes so the chainstays must be dropped a bit for chain clearance. The main difference is they are one piece rather than having a welded end cap.

|

1/5/2018 6:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/5/2018 6:21 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Not from my experience or my understanding of it. Land a little too sideways too many times and the chainstay-wishbone weld ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Wishbones are objectively stronger. Just a more sturdy design and much more weld contact. Frames almost never crack at the ...more

There may be more weld but the angle it makes with the wishbone makes it much more likely to just "tear" along those welds whereas with the 2 tube-bb type, the bridge basically makes the 2 tubes act as one meaning in order to break one, you'd probably have to break the other. Picture, peeling the lid of a yogurt pot versus trying to pull it all off at once. I'd go about a year on a wishbone before they'd start to flex and then tear off at the cs-wb weld.

Great point on the one piece versus capped, I'd completely forgotten about those caps. One time, clearing off a little area at the local jumps I found one of those caps buried in the brush. Imagine getting home to find you've lost a rather large chunk of your frame laughing.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/5/2018 8:38 PM

You guys must be doing flyout flairs or something , because I’ve rarely felt any flex in my frames that I know of . And I’ve nollied off neck high loading docks , the 15 set in my picture and other things and yet to be accommodated to flex . I notice it in bars but not frames .

I think wishbones for me personally just look good .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short