Wonky Headtube Badge?!?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2018 9:43 AM

Today I attempted to fit my S&M HTB. When I offered it up to the frame, it wouldn’t sit straight. It looks like it was formed/curved on a tilt....anyone else had this?

What’s the solution? Get a new one?

|

If you build it, they will come

4/5/2018 10:13 AM

A picture would help much more smile

Look for a random metal tube of around the same outside diameter as your headtube badge, and hammer it down to shape.

It works.

I made a headtube badge a few years back, and this was the technique used. I had, however, a vee-shaped block of wood that I hammed on, but it's not necessary in your case as you only need to correct a slight deformation.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

4/5/2018 10:31 AM

Skylight wrote:

Look for a random metal tube of around the same outside diameter as your headtube badge, and hammer it down to shape.

It works.

I made a headtube badge a few years back, and this was the technique used. I had, however, a vee-shaped block of wood that I hammed on, but it's not necessary in your case as you only need to correct a slight deformation.

I’ll give it a try, thanks

|

4/5/2018 11:30 AM

Heat gun might work if you have one.

|

4/5/2018 11:31 AM

Skylight wrote:

It works.

The best way to do this would be to use a sand bag or similar. Put something softish on the bag, then the headbadge face down on that. Then the tube on top, and hit the tube onto the headbadge. That will rule out hammer marks on the badge itself.

The badge on my hardway wasn't a perfect fit, but it wasn't out enough to wobble loose. I've ordered an fbm badge for my frame and I plan on using 3m double sided sticky pad thing to hold it on. They're pretty thin, but thick enough to make up for any discrepancies. And they're extremely sticky

|

4/5/2018 11:37 AM

Can't go wrong with some 3M VHB.

|

4/5/2018 12:08 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The best way to do this would be to use a sand bag or similar. Put something softish on the bag, then the headbadge face down on that. Then the tube on top, and hit the tube onto the headbadge. That will rule out hammer marks on the badge itself.

The badge on my hardway wasn't a perfect fit, but it wasn't out enough to wobble loose. I've ordered an fbm badge for my frame and I plan on using 3m double sided sticky pad thing to hold it on. They're pretty thin, but thick enough to make up for any discrepancies. And they're extremely sticky

I used the 3m VHB (the red one)on my last frame and it was perfect. I just thought I’d try and do this one properly. I think I have some left. If I can’t get it straightened out, I’ll use it.

Used a dremel to cut the screws down and glued them in to the holes.
Photo

|

4/5/2018 11:23 PM

Skylight wrote:

It works.

grumpySteve wrote:

LS1982 wrote:

I used the 3m VHB (the red one)on my last frame and it was perfect. I just thought I’d try and do this one properly. I think I have some left. If I can’t get it straightened out, I’ll use it.

Photo

That's pretty much exactly what I plan on doing smile

Is that a custom atf? Looks rad!

|

4/6/2018 12:09 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yea mate! Was a build I did end of last year. Something a little different

|

4/6/2018 1:16 AM

LS1982 wrote:

Photo

grumpySteve wrote:

LS1982 wrote:

Yea mate! Was a build I did end of last year. Something a little different

Treats! What wheel size? Is it mtb spaced?

|

4/6/2018 1:48 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Treats! What wheel size? Is it mtb spaced?

24"

Bike Check:
LS1982's S&M 24 ATF - Simplified Build

|

4/6/2018 6:35 AM

LS1982 wrote:

Today I attempted to fit my S&M HTB. When I offered it up to the frame, it wouldn’t sit straight. It looks like it was formed/curved on a tilt....anyone else had this?

Try stem stalling on stuff at high speed! Straighten her right up!

|

4/6/2018 8:49 AM

LS1982 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Haha, bulletpup.
You still happy you learned stem stalls?
You should invent stem grinds, I don't think anyone's done that yet, however anyone who buys your frame will give your head tube weird looks.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 9:43 AM

LS1982 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Haha, bulletpup.
You still happy you learned stem stalls?
You should invent stem grinds, I don't think anyone's done that yet, however anyone who buys your frame will give your head tube weird looks.

Ya! I'm always happy to learn a new trick, even if it's a small trick that's not very useful. It's all bike control! :-) I got a few tricks that I'm wanting to learn I'll put that on my list! Lol

|

4/6/2018 9:45 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

The ‘stem stall’ is what a S&M Shield head tube badge was originally designed for during the 1st world war. Facts.

|

4/6/2018 10:03 AM

LS1982 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

LS1982 wrote:

The ‘stem stall’ is what a S&M Shield head tube badge was originally designed for during the 1st world war. Facts.

Makes sense. The headtube badge has also saved many police officer bmx riders in the line of duty during bad neighborhood patrols.

Fact

|

4/6/2018 10:31 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Makes sense. The headtube badge has also saved many police officer bmx riders in the line of duty during bad neighborhood patrols.

Fact

Haha shield skills

|