Woodward West summer camp

Related:
Create New Tag

9/18/2019 2:11 PM

My wife, my son and I go to WoodWard West for the OSBMX Reunion every year, and we love it.

My kid (12 yr old, will be 13 next summer), is talking about wanting to attend to the summer camp for a week. It's a little more $$$ then we'd like to spend, but it looks like it would be a fantastic week that won't be forgotten- maybe it might be worth scraping the dollars together.

Anybody go there? Send your kid there? Instruct there?
Any thoughts / comments?

|

9/23/2019 6:21 AM

Hi Vortexblue, I worked there during the summer from age 16-19. Started as a dish dog, then OSI, then an in cabin instructor. I think the age your kid is now is the best age to be a camper. He'd do well, and it would be a lasting memory. If he goes as a camper a time or to, he may make a connection and be able to return as a dish dog when he is 15 y/o (saving you the expense).

If you have specific questions, let me know!

|

9/23/2019 7:58 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

Hi Vortexblue, I worked there during the summer from age 16-19. Started as a dish dog, then OSI, then an in cabin instructor. I think the age your kid is now is the best age to be a camper. He'd do well, and it would be a lasting memory. If he goes as a camper a time or to, he may make a connection and be able to return as a dish dog when he is 15 y/o (saving you the expense).

How do I be a dish dog?

|

9/23/2019 8:52 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

NoobBro1 wrote:

How do I be a dish dog?

There is an application online. Fill it out and send it in.

|

9/23/2019 11:01 AM

Thanks SoCal! Sounds like a good time - I guess I never thought much about camper/ workers - that's a pretty cool program.

-Are certain weeks preferred over others?
-Do you bring tubes/ tools/ spares, etc?
-When the parents bring the kids up and pick the kids up, are they allowed to ride the park at all? My wife is a quad skater, I BMX. A couple hours of ride-time on drop off and pick up day would be super rad.

|

9/24/2019 6:10 AM

vortexblue wrote:

Thanks SoCal! Sounds like a good time - I guess I never thought much about camper/ workers - that's a pretty cool program.

-Are certain weeks preferred over others?
-Do you bring tubes/ tools/ spares, etc?
-When the parents bring the kids up and pick the kids up, are they allowed to ride the park at all? My wife is a quad skater, I BMX. A couple hours of ride-time on drop off and pick up day would be super rad.

That isn't common. Usually there is an orientation thing though, (or there used to be in the past), and they are happy to give tours of the facility. Now, with that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if you called a month in advance to see if you could pedal around with your wife while your son meets his group - if they said that would be totally cool. I just haven't heard of that.

|

9/24/2019 7:45 AM

Yeah, we've been there about 5 or 6 times for OSBMX reunion. I'm just being greedy. lol
After a 4 hour car ride, it'd be nice to stretch out on the ramps for a bit.

Thanks for all the info.

|