Worn out driver, brand new chain and sprocket - buy new driver?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2021 7:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2021 7:06 PM

Howdy all - would like your thoughts

Recently just built up a bike with my primo freemix pro coaster on it, all new chain and sprocket. Same wheel with a 4 year old hub and driver.

The driver is pretty worn down I realized, and the new chain is not a fan of it (old chain was really stretched out and must have worn the driver out real funny). It grinds a ton when pedaling, and not just new chain grinding. Like new chain on worn out 4 year old driver grinding. Clutch is somewhat worn out and is a little soft when engaging.

Trying to figure out if it’s worth it to buy a new clutch and driver for it. Like, since the clutch is a little worn, would the inside of the hub be worn too? Will I need new bearings for that tiny little part on the axle? Would it be worth it to keep the chain from being worn in funny, and in turn the axle? I’m probably just gonna buy the new driver and clutch but wanted other peoples input as well.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

3/10/2021 9:46 PM

Just the driver should be fine. Only way to know is to open it up and check everything. I'm still surprised at how worn bmxers let their drivers get

|

3/10/2021 9:50 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Just the driver should be fine. Only way to know is to open it up and check everything. I'm still surprised at how worn bmxers ...more

I’m definitely not gonna do it again, I’ll make sure to check my chain every now and then to make sure it’s not overly stretched out

|

3/11/2021 12:16 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Just the driver should be fine. Only way to know is to open it up and check everything. I'm still surprised at how worn bmxers ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I’m definitely not gonna do it again, I’ll make sure to check my chain every now and then to make sure it’s not overly ...more

Depends on the chain, but I use a BSD forever chain at the moment and replace once a year before it gets too stretched and causes wear. Chromoly drivers last a while, but I'd rather replace a chain than have to replace both every couple of years

|

3/11/2021 1:39 PM

.pegless. wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I’m definitely not gonna do it again, I’ll make sure to check my chain every now and then to make sure it’s not overly ...more

.pegless. wrote:

Depends on the chain, but I use a BSD forever chain at the moment and replace once a year before it gets too stretched and ...more

Yup yup makes sense, I’ll keep a better eye on my chains from now on. I actually rode that chain for over 4 year lmao, definitely got a bit stretched out in that time

|

3/15/2021 1:40 AM

Hi, got a new chain (shadow interlock v2) on a worn demolition rotator driver. It was unridable due to ugly noises that were not just those due to a new chain. Thought it was because of the driver and sprocket being worn out. Changed the driver and everything's back to normal. 👍

|