Worth upgrading fork and bars?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/11/2017 6:56 PM

I'm 33 and just getting into bmx. About a month ago I bought a WTP Justice, it's one of those mid-level, half chromoly/half hi-ten bikes.

I love rippin around the park, but I don't think I'll ever put the kind of pressure on a bike that I would have in my younger years. I'm also pretty light at 160 lbs.

It will cost me about $300 to upgrade the forks and handlebars to chromoly. The geometry on my current setup works for me. Is it worth upgrading? How likely am I to crumple my front end as it is?

Appreciate any insight or experience.

|

7/11/2017 7:03 PM

I would replace parts as they broke if I where you , everyone beats on bikes differently

|

7/11/2017 7:28 PM

I would personally hold off on it until you bend or break them. Typically hi-ten fork dropouts will bend from grinding (if you grind) or the legs will bend forward eventually, and the bars will bend too, so for peace of mind you could upgrade them, but they're relatively new so I'd say just hold off for now in case you end up breaking something else in the near future.

|

7/11/2017 8:01 PM

Thanks. I should have mentioned, I don't plan on grinding, took the pegs off day one.

|

7/11/2017 11:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2017 11:06 PM

ontariobmx wrote:

I'm 33 and just getting into bmx. About a month ago I bought a WTP Justice, it's one of those mid-level, half chromoly/half hi-ten bikes.

I love rippin around the park, but I don't think I'll ever put the kind of pressure on a bike that I would have in my younger years. I'm also pretty light at 160 lbs.

It will cost me about $300 to upgrade the forks and handlebars to chromoly. The geometry on my current setup works for me. Is it worth upgrading? How likely am I to crumple my front end as it is?

Hey! If the stock stuff is holding up no real need to change it.

However if you do decide to check the 2 links below for a couple very good deals.

For under $100 you can be set up with pro level, full chromoly bars and forks.

http://www.albes.com/premium-lodes-BMX-bars/

http://www.albes.com/premium-aurora-BMX-fork/

--Flip www.albes.com

|

7/12/2017 2:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2017 2:55 PM

Or you could spend $100 and buy used parts. Could be worth it. If you like to grind, you might notice that the chainstays won't hold up to well on a missed grind, and you might want to upgrade your frame at some point. But getting full chromoly bars and forks is a good idea, since nowadays Hi-Ten parts seem to weigh the same as chromoly, and being only half the strength, it's pretty crazy. I have some old Hi-Ten bars that weigh like 3 pounds. They don't make them like they used too. I guess kids don't want heavy bikes, but then they cry when they break something. Back in the mid school days 100 pound kids were not breaking parts like they do now. Hi-Ten wouldn't have such a bad rap if it was made properly.

|

7/12/2017 3:31 PM

Completely ignored most of the advice and ordered a fork and handlebar from 3ride.com Ceneca 4 piece bar and Fit blade v3 forks.

|

7/12/2017 4:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2017 4:25 PM

ontariobmx wrote:

Completely ignored most of the advice and ordered a fork and handlebar from 3ride.com Ceneca 4 piece bar and Fit blade v3 forks.

Honestly I think that was unnecessary... since you said your not going to be grinding or anything and since u are new you won't be riding hard so I would've just stuck with the old parts till they break but not my choice.

|

7/12/2017 4:51 PM

The fit forks should be good ..... ceneca bars seem pretty generic , you pretty much baught stock quality bars to replace stock bars

|

7/12/2017 11:27 PM

ontariobmx wrote:

Just upgrade as you like. Eventually you may come across a nice aftermarket frame on sale sometime and you can upgrade to full chromo then.

|

7/12/2017 11:50 PM

You can always get cromoly bars and forks both for under $100.00. I got a set of Fit forks and FBM bars for 89

|