Would I be better at hopping?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2014 4:16 PM

Before, I'd probably be able to hop a foot? At most a foot but over the winter, (I started lifting) I got much stronger and when I start riding again in probably January, I'm hoping I'll be able to bring my bike up higher. Will I be able to hop noticeably higher?

|

12/23/2014 4:21 PM

hop height is dependent on 4 main factors in my experience
-BODY weight, not bike weight
-bike fit (tt length compared to height)
-strength
-technique

you will probably be able to hop about the same first time you ride of the year because you will not have ridden in a while, but then you will probably hop higher because your strength has increased, and maybe height depending on age

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/23/2014 4:33 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

hop height is dependent on 4 main factors in my experience
-BODY weight, not bike weight
-bike fit (tt length compared to ...more

Thanks man! Well My bikes fits me perfectly because I'm still 5'3 and I'm very light so I think I'm good. Thanks!

|

12/23/2014 5:40 PM

Strength doesn't do anything it's all technique.

|

12/25/2014 9:07 AM

brianoob wrote:

Strength doesn't do anything it's all technique.

really? Not even a little bit? You do need strength to lift your bike up though...

|

12/25/2014 9:20 AM

Strength is a factor but it's mostly technique.

Giving a bike to Brock Lesnar doesn't mean he's gonna hop high

|

12/25/2014 10:13 AM

For me, I'd say strength does help. Especially upper body strength man. Every notice how after practicing a lot of hops your arms get sore as shit sometimes?

I agree with bmxsteve, i'd say technique is most important on the list.

technique = Knowing the proper technique will allow you to hop higher and now that you are stronger, if you are feeling comfortable with your technique already, you should be able to hop higher...If not, study hopping techniques and keep practicing.

Body weight = anyone who loses weight will notice they will be lighter therefore easier to jump.

frame size = anyone with the proper frame sIze will fit to the bike with max comfort, therefore they will hop with more confidence.My frame size is wrong, so my hops are always sketchy feeling...

strength = Simple enough, if you get stronger, hopping gets easier. Not to mention muscle memory will improve. Do upper body strength techniques and lifting the front end up will feel like nothing, and lifting the bars up and pushing forward during your hop will feel easier too...

If you haven't rode for a few months you may be rusty, but your muscle memory should warm up again soon. Keep practicing, and have fun riding man!

|

12/25/2014 10:49 AM

if you practice hopping over stuff and work on technique then you will be golden

|

12/25/2014 3:22 PM

Strength definitely has a little bit to do with it but not as much as you probably think. It's more technique, as said above.

Getting really strong is a great idea though. The best advice I can give you for hopping high is just practice.

Watch some how-to's like the Broc Raiford one or something and go out and apply what you learned. It takes time but you'll get it.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

12/26/2014 10:00 AM

Do squats/box jumps and i promise you will be able to jump/hophigher it has a lot to do with technique and being strong enough to move your body and handle your bike the way you want to while riding plays into technique

|