Would taller bars help me here?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2018 7:19 AM

If i want to be able to pull up easier and make hops feel easier and smooth with my current frame.. which has a 13.75 cs slammed so my hops now feel crouched and stretched with 8.75 rise bars. For some reason I am thinking if i get like 9.25 rise bars it will make everything tighten up and feel more stable and not have to use as much effort for hops or spins

|

12/24/2018 8:37 AM

It will be easier to hop but you won’t have as much travel distance to hop as high

|

12/24/2018 9:24 AM

Meet in the middle at 9"
And remember people were hopping 3' back when bars were sub 8". Technique is key

|

12/24/2018 9:31 AM

There are many opinions but I for one have gone from tall to short and back and every time I go back to taller bars, everything feels easier. Airs, manuals, spinning tricks, rails, landing, all come easier and the most important is that I feel so much more.comfortable and like its easier to maintain control of and feel the bike.
There are 2 downsides I've encountered which are
1. You have to move farther forward on Nose tricks to get to the balance point so.makes them a bit harder to lock initially
2. My front wheel would often bonk rails and stuff I was jumping over for the first few days before I got used to them so I'd have to make factor that in.
Both of these are easily adapted to and the benefits are more than worth it.
I'm on 9.2 with a 12.8 back end. I flipped my stem to drop it a half inch for 2 weeks and when i switched it back, all.my tricks started clicking first try with less effort. I'd say give it a shot and if it's no bueno, flip your stem or trade em.

|

12/24/2018 3:14 PM

It worked for me when I bumped up to 10" from my old 8.5" bar, but we're all different and, as said above, technique has a ton to do with it.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

12/25/2018 6:52 AM

Probably.

|

12/25/2018 6:30 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Meet in the middle at 9"
And remember people were hopping 3' back when bars were sub 8". Technique is key

I was on 6.5 odyssey bar mitzvahs when I was riding back in 2004. The lower they were the better was the school of thought then, I seriously wonder if it will go back eventually like clothing trends. I agree that 9 is a happy medium. Not that short but not in the extreme zone either lol.

|

12/26/2018 12:20 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Meet in the middle at 9"
And remember people were hopping 3' back when bars were sub 8". Technique is key

Sean_Goff wrote:

I was on 6.5 odyssey bar mitzvahs when I was riding back in 2004. The lower they were the better was the school of thought then, I seriously wonder if it will go back eventually like clothing trends. I agree that 9 is a happy medium. Not that short but not in the extreme zone either lol.

I had s&m slams back then, they were beginning to be the bars to have again. They were considered massive at 8"!

|

12/26/2018 4:22 AM

Thx for the inputs, if it matters i will most likely never run a top load stem. Front loaders look way better

|

12/26/2018 4:49 AM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Thx for the inputs, if it matters i will most likely never run a top load stem. Front loaders look way better

Only problem is, a frontload with really tall bars looks worse than a topload. It's like standing on a box and crouching. The taller the bars, the bigger the box of the bars, and imo a lot of bars look retarded because of how big they are. If the box is narrow, the bars look taller than they are. So if you're worried about the aesthetics, get some bars with wide angle bends, like the t1 ruben or bsd safari. They're both over 9" but don't look silly. I'm tempted by one or the other myself.

Also, I just want to point out I don't hate big bars. I prefer smaller bars myself. But if someone is comfortable with bigger bars it's cool. Just don't get them because they're cool. I'm just offering an alternative perspective about how it affects the feel of the bike. And I don't like the look of bars that look huge (my 9" fbm u.s apes looked retarded. And I'm really struggling to find bars that are 9", with wide angle bends, and 3 upsweep)

|

12/26/2018 5:20 AM

The real tip to hop higher and easier is to get stronger

|

Hmmm

12/26/2018 9:33 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Only problem is, a frontload with really tall bars looks worse than a topload. It's like standing on a box and crouching. The taller the bars, the bigger the box of the bars, and imo a lot of bars look retarded because of how big they are. If the box is narrow, the bars look taller than they are. So if you're worried about the aesthetics, get some bars with wide angle bends, like the t1 ruben or bsd safari. They're both over 9" but don't look silly. I'm tempted by one or the other myself.

Also, I just want to point out I don't hate big bars. I prefer smaller bars myself. But if someone is comfortable with bigger bars it's cool. Just don't get them because they're cool. I'm just offering an alternative perspective about how it affects the feel of the bike. And I don't like the look of bars that look huge (my 9" fbm u.s apes looked retarded. And I'm really struggling to find bars that are 9", with wide angle bends, and 3 upsweep)

I've been thinking of running the v.2 enduro stem with the Credence 9.25" bars... I'd be .5" shorter in total rise, but I'd loose .75" in bar height (also +1.5° upsweep).

I tried riding 9" bars for a year, but I would always get pain in the back of my neck from looking forward... Lol

I'm also jealous of your 9" bar and FL endeavor.

|

12/26/2018 9:48 AM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Thx for the inputs, if it matters i will most likely never run a top load stem. Front loaders look way better

grumpySteve wrote:

Only problem is, a frontload with really tall bars looks worse than a topload. It's like standing on a box and crouching. The taller the bars, the bigger the box of the bars, and imo a lot of bars look retarded because of how big they are. If the box is narrow, the bars look taller than they are. So if you're worried about the aesthetics, get some bars with wide angle bends, like the t1 ruben or bsd safari. They're both over 9" but don't look silly. I'm tempted by one or the other myself.

Also, I just want to point out I don't hate big bars. I prefer smaller bars myself. But if someone is comfortable with bigger bars it's cool. Just don't get them because they're cool. I'm just offering an alternative perspective about how it affects the feel of the bike. And I don't like the look of bars that look huge (my 9" fbm u.s apes looked retarded. And I'm really struggling to find bars that are 9", with wide angle bends, and 3 upsweep)

Bryan91 wrote:

I've been thinking of running the v.2 enduro stem with the Credence 9.25" bars... I'd be .5" shorter in total rise, but I'd loose .75" in bar height (also +1.5° upsweep).

I tried riding 9" bars for a year, but I would always get pain in the back of my neck from looking forward... Lol

I'm also jealous of your 9" bar and FL endeavor.

I think I'm just lucky that I like lower bars ? I can get away with sub 9" bars and a frontload and still feel comfortable. But if I wanted more rise I'd have no problem switching to a topload. But tall bars get to a point they just look out of proportion, hence the wide angle bends. They look like smaller bars, but bigger, rather than tall and weird.
When I had 9" bars and a topload I felt like I was going to loop out more, and actually got lower back pains from the extra effort in balancing.
But, I wouldn't recommend tall people getting small bars, obviously the bike has to fit them. I just think it's possible to get a good looking bike that still fits if you think about the parts. If that makes sense.

The frontload with tall bars is like getting a low standover frame and having 1' of seat post showing. Just get a frame with a higher standover and it'll look more in proportion.

This is making me think of that "roast my ride" idea someone had on here. Might do it ?

|

12/26/2018 10:03 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think I'm just lucky that I like lower bars ? I can get away with sub 9" bars and a frontload and still feel comfortable. But if I wanted more rise I'd have no problem switching to a topload. But tall bars get to a point they just look out of proportion, hence the wide angle bends. They look like smaller bars, but bigger, rather than tall and weird.
When I had 9" bars and a topload I felt like I was going to loop out more, and actually got lower back pains from the extra effort in balancing.
But, I wouldn't recommend tall people getting small bars, obviously the bike has to fit them. I just think it's possible to get a good looking bike that still fits if you think about the parts. If that makes sense.

The frontload with tall bars is like getting a low standover frame and having 1' of seat post showing. Just get a frame with a higher standover and it'll look more in proportion.

This is making me think of that "roast my ride" idea someone had on here. Might do it ?

I will say this...

I ran 10" bars for a while with a front load. I switched to 9" and I'm much happier. Still running front load because I have long-ass legs, but it does look a little less goofy.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/26/2018 11:02 AM

Edman123 wrote:

The real tip to hop higher and easier is to get stronger

Steroids

|

12/26/2018 11:04 AM

FWIW, my twin brother, who used to shred and was light years ahead of me skill wise growing up, rode my bmx on Christmas Day with 8.75” rise bars and topload. He was used to the 6-7” rise of the late 90’s. He absolutely loved the higher bars and thought my bike felt perfect and went on and on how good the bars felt. Seemed like a fitting place to put this little experience of his. . . Have a good new year!

|

12/26/2018 1:55 PM

Edman123 wrote:

The real tip to hop higher and easier is to get stronger

eskimojay wrote:

Steroids

Yup, got steroids for Christmas.

|

Hmmm

12/26/2018 2:25 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

FWIW, my twin brother, who used to shred and was light years ahead of me skill wise growing up, rode my bmx on Christmas Day with 8.75” rise bars and topload. He was used to the 6-7” rise of the late 90’s. He absolutely loved the higher bars and thought my bike felt perfect and went on and on how good the bars felt. Seemed like a fitting place to put this little experience of his. . . Have a good new year!

I'm fairly certain MOST riders that rode old/mid school, stopped, then came back recently, once the taller bars trend was in full swing they said their backs felt better, everything was more comfortable.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/26/2018 9:48 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Meet in the middle at 9"
And remember people were hopping 3' back when bars were sub 8". Technique is key

Sean_Goff wrote:

I was on 6.5 odyssey bar mitzvahs when I was riding back in 2004. The lower they were the better was the school of thought then, I seriously wonder if it will go back eventually like clothing trends. I agree that 9 is a happy medium. Not that short but not in the extreme zone either lol.

grumpySteve wrote:

I had s&m slams back then, they were beginning to be the bars to have again. They were considered massive at 8"!

I remember kids at the park talking about 8+ bars like who would ever want to do such a ridiculous thing and what's this world coming to.

|

12/27/2018 4:20 AM

eskimojay wrote:

It will be easier to hop but you won’t have as much travel distance to hop as high

Recently got a bike with 9.5" bars and I thought this would be the case, but I seem to be more confident getting onto higher ledges now than I was with lower bars back in the day.

|

12/27/2018 6:39 AM

no. its all in your head

|

It’s all bmx

12/27/2018 10:53 AM

Pretty sure it is relative to bb height and rider height

|