Would this sprocket fit?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/11/2017 3:00 PM

So I wanna get this sprocket but I don’t know if it will fit. My cranks are the ones with 2 bolts connecting them to the sprocket.

Photo

Photo

|

An Indian on a small bike

10/11/2017 3:14 PM

yes it should fit just make sue you use the right spacer.

|

Hmmm

10/11/2017 3:19 PM

So you probably have a 19mm spindle. Make sure you get a 19mm top hat.

|

10/11/2017 6:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2017 6:10 PM

New sprockets come with the spacers a lot of times to make it fit 19mm spindles and are pre-sized to fit 22mm with no adapters.

The one you pictured appears to have a spacer included just by looking at the center. You can see a second ring about 3mm thick.

|

10/12/2017 11:26 AM

Thanks for that guys. So the sprocket will come with an adapter for the spindle. What about the other bolt holding the crank onto the sprocket? Does the Kobra sprocket have a big enough hole for it?

|

10/12/2017 12:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 8:11 PM

Ved_goswami wrote:

Thanks for that guys. So the sprocket will come with an adapter for the spindle. What about the other bolt holding the crank ...more

The hole is standardized unless stated otherwise. The only time you would have complications on that front would be anything smaller than 23t would be considered "Nano" drive as opposed to the "Micro" drive that is pretty standard these days. All that means is your crankset would have to have the threaded attachment point closer to the spindle since the circumfrence of a sub 23t is too small to use the same hole and have it not interfere with the teeth or just plain not fit. Some cranksets have both holes threaded for micro and nano drive. Most stock and tons of aftermarket cranksets will not have both though, so be sure and check. Also, if it were a different design like spline drive or odysseys design, it would clearly state what its compatibility would be and visually will be pretty different.

|

10/12/2017 8:12 PM

Here is an example of the 2 hole cranksets that allow you to run both types.Photo

|

10/13/2017 12:17 AM

Will you also be getting a new chain? Some people say to replace chains when getting a new sprocket. You may need a chain breaker tool.

|

10/16/2017 11:50 AM

elytron wrote:

Will you also be getting a new chain? Some people say to replace chains when getting a new sprocket. You may need a chain ...more

I’m not sure. Why is that?

|

10/16/2017 11:51 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Here is an example of the 2 hole cranksets that allow you to run both types.Photo

I’ll have a check if mine look like any of them. Mine are just stock ones for a Hoffman bama

|

10/16/2017 4:53 PM

elytron wrote:

Will you also be getting a new chain? Some people say to replace chains when getting a new sprocket. You may need a chain ...more

Ved_goswami wrote:

I believe an old/dirty worn out chain, wears the new sprocket a little quicker. May be the case, but someone correct me if I am wrong. Anyone else out there replace the two at the same time?

|

10/16/2017 4:57 PM

elytron wrote:

Ved_goswami wrote:

elytron wrote:

I believe an old/dirty worn out chain, wears the new sprocket a little quicker. May be the case, but someone correct me if I ...more

I have been getting new chains with new sprockets. It does wear things out faster, you are correct.

|

10/16/2017 5:09 PM

A chain stretches over time. As it stretches, it wears your sprockets (especially aluminum) to that same stretch. So by changing your sprockets with the chain, your are starting fresh with everything.

|

10/16/2017 5:16 PM

Mishinn is correct. Also get a beefy chain with thick links and such so the chain has minimal stretch.

I dont trust thin cheap chains anymore.

|

10/17/2017 9:53 AM

My cranks have the second hole thing welded on to it. Doesn’t look like any of those in the pic

|

10/17/2017 9:54 AM

Here’s a pic Photo

|

10/17/2017 10:05 AM

That's the drive hole. Without that screw, you'll crank but the sprocket won't turn with the cranks. It's the way it's been done for decades so you should be fine.

|

10/17/2017 10:10 AM

Ved_goswami wrote:

My cranks have the second hole thing welded on to it. Doesn’t look like any of those in the pic

Listen.... it's fine. It doesn't have to look just like the other picture. They make sprockets to fit that approx. setup. Which is the setup that has been used for decades.

|

10/17/2017 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2017 10:14 AM

Ved_goswami wrote:

Your cranks appear to be standard, 23t and up, bolt drive compatibility.

|

10/17/2017 10:51 AM

You don't always have to replace a chain and sprocket at the same time. You only need to replace either when they are worn. Bmx parts wear at a completely different rate to road or mtb parts. You're more likely to wear a driver quickly than a sprocket as it has so many more rotations.
If you get a new sprocket and the chain makes a load of noise then you know it's time to get a new chain. If you get a new chain and the chain makes noise, chances are its the driver.

|

10/17/2017 2:43 PM

Ved_goswami wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Listen.... it's fine. It doesn't have to look just like the other picture. They make sprockets to fit that approx. setup. ...more

Oh okay thanks man. So I think I’ll go ahead and get that sprocket

|

10/17/2017 2:57 PM

You should just get a new cheap chain anyway. It's like $10, and everything will run smother, and wear in properly.

|

10/17/2017 3:04 PM

Get a couple spacers too. The sprocket will probably be a little thicker/thinner than your current one so you'll need space it so your crank/chainstay distance is the same on both sides.

|

10/17/2017 3:14 PM

Dont go cheap on a chain, you can get a 5-10 dollar chain that will work but not only will it flex when you're pedaling but it will prematurely stretch and possibly snap at the worst time. Imo, you dhould get something you will trust.

Odyssey hollow and standard keychain, shadow conspiracy supreme, fly tractor chain etc.

|

10/17/2017 6:33 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn is correct. Also get a beefy chain with thick links and such so the chain has minimal stretch.

I dont trust thin ...more

With the exception of half-links, chains don't actually stretch. The pins and rollers wear, thereby increasing the distance from one pin to another and thinning the rollers. This is what gives the illusion of stretch.

I do agree with the beefy chains though, I've had far too many long walks home after landing on my chain and breaking it.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/17/2017 7:23 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I dont trust thin ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

With the exception of half-links, chains don't actually stretch. The pins and rollers wear, thereby increasing the distance ...more

You know what, youre right, now that I think of it I only see wear on the pins where the inner links ride on them.

I was applying the half link stretch mentality to both types of chain.

|