Would you agree or not?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2008 8:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2008 8:36 PM

Bikes that are heavier are stronger? Like 5+ pounds im thinking would be good. And im thinking sometime after winter close to summer but i want it to be good shit! what you think?

|

10/3/2008 8:49 PM

the whole reason bikes are lighter now adays is mostly because they have found ways to make them equally as strong or stronger and lighter at the same time, im pretty sure weight has nothing to do with it.

|

got bike?

refs: showtime402, effigy, dallas6689, freddydapice

10/3/2008 9:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 5:25 PM

mnsketch wrote:

the whole reason bikes are lighter now adays is mostly because they have found ways to make them equally as strong or stronger and lighter at the same time, im pretty sure weight has nothing to do with it.

true but not so much...
there's some new heat treatments that increases strenght but beign realistic bars now bend way easier, new cranks are weaker, forks have more probability to bend and frames get dented more often than older ones. And in what universe less metal is stronger than more metal? if you want strenght over weight a few pounds are not even noticiable, my bike is pretty light but not feather weight (i thing is 26 or 25, idk lol) and is way stronger than some of my friends super light bikes, actually a friends S&M XLT bars got bended in a stupid fail and my T-1 have idk how many years, way too much punishment and they're like new, the same with my cranks
so weight def has something to do with it

|

10/4/2008 5:27 AM

PipebagBMX wrote:

true but not so much...
there's some new heat treatments that increases strenght but beign realistic bars now bend way easier, new cranks are weaker, forks have more probability to bend and frames get dented more often than older ones. And in what universe less metal is stronger than more metal? if you want strenght over weight a few pounds are not even noticiable, my bike is pretty light but not feather weight (i thing is 26 or 25, idk lol) and is way stronger than some of my friends super light bikes, actually a friends S&M XLT bars got bended in a stupid fail and my T-1 have idk how many years, way too much punishment and they're like new, the same with my cranks
so weight def has something to do with it

To me that is feather weight haha.

But you are right, these lighter parts are not necessarily stronger, and I think it may have something to do with the fact that parts used to last a LONG time, a guy could get a good setup, and aside from grips tires and tubes, the bike would last a few years, which made the company's sales kinda low. Now you can't have a bike that lasts a year if you ride decently and try to progress(It doesn't help that all the newer riders MUST have the newest and lightest parts, which in turn makes companies make them, because we all know that if someone is looking for light parts, they will not buy slightly heavier stuff, even if it is cheaper)And because companies want/need more money to keep running, so if they make somewhat strong parts(but go with the 'trend' of lighter parts) that may break easier, they are effectively keeping themselves in business by not making indestructible parts.

Car companies do the same. Why do you think they keep adding all this unneccesary crap into them? (EX:hot and cool cupholders, multiple DVD players, back up cameras on minivans etc) Because more things can go wrong, (and people want them due to comfort/laziness) which in turn means more replacement costs, and repair costs, which keep them in business.

Anyway, buy heavier stuff, ride a lot, and learn to land smooth and throw your bike around with heavy things, so when you upgrade to lighter parts, you can do it that much easier, and you will have some bike control to not destroy things so fast.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura