Wtf is this BB?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2016 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2016 7:48 AM

Outer diameter is = Spanish bottom bracket size (37mm or just UNDER 1 1/2 inches). You can see it's exactly same size as normal Spanish cartridge bearing.

This has a 20mm inner diameter (NOT 19, I know- see picture of axles: normal 19mm in front, back one was from this bb & you can see the size step up in the middle).

I'm trying to take this OUT (and use in another bike), and I don't want to screw it up- was expecting typical sealed bearing side view. It's pretty smooth thru the middle- not the typical spacer so you can move and knock bearings out other side.

--Is this an unsealed Spanish sized bearing? And how shld I remove it!?
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

7/31/2016 9:27 AM

That looks sealed to me. If you don't have the correct tools to remove it, take it to your local bike shop and have them do it.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

7/31/2016 11:18 AM

Thanks- I shld clarify, the 1st pic is how it looks, and the 2nd is just a bearing sitting on top of it.

I see small holes around the perimeter of the bearings in the bike, so I guess is gonna be requiring some LBS tool to remove. Wanted to see if anyone has worked on one of these

|

Frmrly BmxBos

7/31/2016 12:08 PM

It's sealed. What bike is it coming out of? It was probably a moody bodge of an idea. You'll probably have to break it to get it out. It almost looks like the tube spacer is part of the inner race. I'd tap the middle/tube part and see if it moves with a good smack

|

7/31/2016 1:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2016 1:20 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's sealed. What bike is it coming out of? It was probably a moody bodge of an idea. You'll probably have to break it to get ...more

It's an Eastern, full chromoly complete, from about the time they switched from Spanish to mid. I never would have guessed before I opened it! Anyway, I'm putting a regular bb in it, but I'll see if I can run it by lbs & if they can whack it out without ruining smile

|

Frmrly BmxBos

7/31/2016 3:01 PM

I doubt an lbs will get it out without ruining it to be honest. Even if they use a bearing puller, if there's a lip in the shell that's preventing the bearings going too far in, one side will prevent the other from pulling through

|

7/31/2016 3:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I doubt an lbs will get it out without ruining it to be honest. Even if they use a bearing puller, if there's a lip in the ...more

Good to know, Steve, thanks! I'll be prepared if it's a loss.
The bike I was gonna put it into isn't gonna get use soon anyhow.
Learn something new all the time with this stuff tongue

|

Frmrly BmxBos

7/31/2016 8:04 PM

20mm Eastern Spanish BB

[LINK TO IMAGE]

it should still tap out like a normal BB

|

8/1/2016 2:19 AM

After zooming in to that pic, it does look like there's a tube spacer. Try to move it by putting a socket extension in there and pushing down hard on the end

|

8/1/2016 6:16 AM

Gonna try pressing harder. So far nothing has slid out of way enough to be able to tap out sides

|

Frmrly BmxBos

8/1/2016 9:22 AM

Smack it hard with a rubber mallet smile

|

8/2/2016 7:52 PM

Stock. Some stock 8 splined cranks were 20MM, usually Eastern and from my experience some cheap Haros and Fits.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura