X Games Meh

Related:
Create New Tag

10/19/2018 1:35 AM

Now I haven't watched X Games since the late 90s early 00s, and I was never really a fan of it then. But I'd watch it, because BMX on the TV was super rare and internet was out of the question.

Anyway I thought I'd have a watch today and see if it's progressed, but no it really hasn't, if possible it's got worse.

Dirt looks bloody horrendous and is a million miles away from watching a proper trails session. It's just two big mounds of mud, zero style or flow. Why can't they design something interesting, with transfer lines etc.?

Street just seemed to have no energy. Alex D had the best run, but even this I couldn't get excited about, and the atmosphere seemed really shit.

Why is it so shit? Do people still watch it?

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

10/19/2018 1:54 AM

I just came here to talk about this too haha. I really like Alex D but I don't know how he got gold, his run was quite boring and uninspired I thought.

As for dirt, at x games it's usually a flip combo, followed by a whip/bar combo and then whoever did the most spins wins it, style is not important

|

10/19/2018 2:01 AM

Only watched street so far but fuck its incredible , Garrett's 180 bar backlash cab bar was fucked

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/19/2018 2:04 AM

His run was executed perfectly and that, but there was just nothing inspiring. No crazy, different, interesting lines, or big transfers gaps... it was basically a run with 10 different 180 combos.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

10/19/2018 2:19 AM

That Lewis Mills run was actually a lot more interesting. That full cab was fire.

|

10/19/2018 8:16 AM

Just wait until the Summer Olympics...

|

10/19/2018 8:20 AM

The last XGames I watched had Troy McMurray in them If that tells you anything w00t

|

10/19/2018 8:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2018 11:07 AM

Dirt looked bad cause they had a shitload of rain , x games is about appealing to people watching tv not bmx riders , regular people don’t give a shit about trails with motowhips and style , they want to see people do flips and crazy moves , for how bad conditions where the riders did pretty good , those jumps looked way better than Minneapolis had it not rained , way steeper and poppier lips , cam whites building them so there’s no way they’re not gnarly as fuck

Alex landeros qualified on mega ramp that was dope , I’m just hoping bmx riders keep the medals out of the hands of that scooter kid when finals come , he’s got crazy resi stunt show moves but he’s overhyped for how he didn’t even podium last contest , people shouldn’t sleep on the rest of the field

Watched a couple runs of street then passed out I’ll finish that after work , enarson fell off the course , I remember when Sean burns left the course and got disqualified , apparently that rules been thrown out

|

10/19/2018 12:07 PM

Not sure how Alex got gold when Lewis had a better run ?

|

My Cult 2 Short

10/19/2018 12:09 PM

mega ramp and vert is awesome because how gnarly it is. i couldn't care less about street and dirt

|

It’s all bmx

10/19/2018 12:12 PM

Yeah, Alex's gold seemed off. But his run was indeed pretty spotless, although Lewis, I agree, should've placed 1st.

Dirt was a little disorganized and everything felt rushed lol. I'm looking forwards to the Big Air event to watch RWilly.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

10/19/2018 12:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2018 12:25 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Not sure how Alex got gold when Lewis had a better run ?

I honestly think the winners are pre-selected. I think X-Games and the judges realized if Garrett or Chad won again, people would legitimately be pissed, because it really is boring watching the same 2-3 people do the same tricks and the deciding factor between Gold, Silver and Bronze is who landed with their foot on a crank arm.

It's almost like Clint Reynolds winning the Vans bowl thing not too long ago. Not bashing Clint's riding at all, because he's crazy talented and badass, but I honestly think (and no shade here) that the judges felt bad about Clint's parents' house burning down and they gave him the prize as a way to help his family.

It was a nice thing to do, and Clint did ride the fuck out of the bowl, but it's just all a little convenient to be as random as people would want you to think.

Also, isn't Lewis Mills still an Am technically? I wonder if an AM winning X-Games would send people clutching their pearls.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

10/19/2018 12:37 PM

Didn't watch it so I don't know who should've beat who or whatever lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/19/2018 12:48 PM

Just finished watching the street comp, was also left with a meh-feeling. Pretty much only things that stood out were Courage Adams' nose manny line he didn't land and Smillie's bar manny-fakie manny-fakie hop down the drop. They gave me that "what is he trying to... Oh no way" moment I like when watching someone ride. Other than that, bars and whips up and down things. Not that it's not impressive, I just like a bit different style.

|

10/19/2018 12:59 PM

Contests are weird. Not really the setting for what I like to watch. There's more to bmx than whips and barspins. Half the time whatever the person is doing would look better without the barspin anyway IMO.

|

10/19/2018 3:47 PM

Definitely think someone behind the scenes had some influence on judging or one of the judges has a grudge because street was stupid

|

My Cult 2 Short

10/19/2018 6:00 PM

I remember when street first started in x games and they had man sized sets and rails , those courses with riders from this day in age would be sick to watch

|

10/19/2018 6:36 PM

Only cool part of XGames nowadays are those video contests they have. Those are sick in like basically every sport tbh. I’ll watch the video contests of sports im not even interested in and be properly entertained. Sad. Shit was like a big inspiration back in the day

|

10/19/2018 6:41 PM

I loved watching the real street edits!! And I enjoyed watching the real moto edits they did for motocross as well

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/19/2018 7:05 PM

Dirt final was dope , stoked for dawid godziek , those godziek bros are insane

|

10/19/2018 8:06 PM

Lewis Mills got his gold medal robbed. Honestly there has to be some crazy bias that goes on with this judging. I have a feeling the story of Alex coming back from surgery basically gave him the push for the gold. Lewis had a much more dynamic run. The 5 cab bar to start off was insane and that was following a feeble truck. I don't know how many riders would be able to land those back to back in a contest other than garett. Then i think he did uprail over pegs 180 to fullcab down that decent drop. plus the nollie bar to manny smith nose incorporated a line into the run.

Alex's run was cool, started out with that big 180 crook cab out, but probably the hardest trick in his line was the 180 crook 180 bar out, which is essentially the same trick with a bar. I think you should get points taken away for repeating the same trick. Then he had a tech alex d uprail combo, but other than that, he was cruising suuuper slow and had to pedal like crazy to maintain his speed. Just like park contests, points should be taken away for acting like this is a road bike course.

Overall, nothing stood out in Alex's run. He had some technical shit but nothing big other than the first 180 crook. Garret's run was waaay better than alex's. He had a truck down the set, railride whip, nose manual bar on the same rail that alex only nollie bar'd off of. Seriously i don't know if I'm the only one that's thinking this but this left a bad taste in my mouth. Should've been 1st- Lewis Mills 2nd- Garrett 3rd- Alex. The judging was fucked.

Also, the commentators seemed to be pretty ignorant towards bmx. They only called out trick names during the replay (I believe they were being handed notes on what each trick was called) and repeatedly misidentified simple tricks.

|

10/19/2018 8:22 PM

Just watched the street final I thought it was scored right

I’m from the era where garret could ride dew tour park and throw 900s on quarters on a green premium he had allot of dead quarter pipe hits on his first run then the second run he looked hungry and put a foot down , a foot down instantly shouldn’t be podium contention it’s a contest

Same thing with kerleys runs from what I saw

Smilies last trick was insane but it’s a contest and a full run it takes more then a last trick to win a contest

I thought it was scored right

My favourite rider from the comp was Roche , he had speed and made it look fun

|

10/19/2018 10:32 PM

They didn't give Lewis the medal because hes Australian and it was an Aussie X - Games , and hes technically an "AM"

|

My Cult 2 Short

10/20/2018 11:03 AM

Morgan wade with that tailwhip drop in on mega ramp is madness

|