Xmas parts? Ody forks!

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2016 8:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2016 9:00 PM

Hey people,
I'm thinking of getting some Odyssey r32 forks at some point but have a few questions.

I have no idea what offset my forks are, they are stock wtp volta 2011s. I dont know how to find the offset haha.

I like to run fatter style pegs and I'd hope they would fit.

Whats the tire clearance like? I really like the look of the bsd donnasqueak 2.4s (inflates to 2.44) Id want to have enough clearance so if my wheel flexes when landing it wont rub against the fork and act as a front brake... haha.

How are the dropouts? Has anyone had any problems with them bending, twisting, etc? I ride pegs by the way.

Also are there any other topcaps available? I had trouble finding a topcap for my current forks when the topcap got a bit threaded

The steerer tube length is 166mm is this tall? I just want to make sure i have enough room to fit my headset and stem. My current wtp volta 2011 can only fit a average/short headset cap and one spacer.

Also, I am a street style rider but also do like to hit quarters, box jumps, etc at times because I live 30 seconds from my local skatepark. As i said i dont know what the offset of my forks are but my head angle on my frame is 74.5, chainstay is 13.66 and top tube is 21. I do like the stable feel but I would like my bike to be bit more agile. Im wondering if I get R32's would I still have that street feel? (When I get a new frame id get one with a more aggressive geo but not too extreme haha, probs like a 13.25-13.5 chainstay with a 75 degree headtube. I think im more keen on the R32s, I ride this down hills all the time in my town and im doing more gaps now, plus less of a chance of going otb haha. Getting a more relaxed fork might mean more clearance for my foot when trying to bar? (foot is super close to the front tire when trying bars)

Whats your opinion? (i have used the search bar, just trying to get more info)

Thanks! smile

|

12/23/2016 9:08 PM

More offset will make your bike more stable, less would make it twitchier (and supposedly easier to get into nose manuals)

I've read less offset is better for slow/techy riding, so if that's more your thing then go with the R25. Otherwise I'd just stick with the R32s. Regardless of what your offset is now, you'll get used to it. It's probably in the ballpark and not too different but I couldn't find anything to confirm what they are though.

Fatter pegs will fit though, unless they're stupid fat then idk haha. I have Animal pegs which are fatter than most, and they fit on my Sunday Octaves (basically the same things as R32s) no problem. Tire clearance is good too, you should be fine.

And yes, Tree makes top caps. A couple other brands make top caps you can buy too. Just make sure it's the right thread count.

|

12/23/2016 10:04 PM

Your WTP fork is probably around 30-35mm range the r32s should feel right at home for you. My animal butcher pegs fit my dropouts well. Not too much clearance for my cult ak tire but there is some a friend of mine runs a 2.4 donnasqueak and it fits fine no adjustments needed. Again no problem with the dropouts I have a Gsport simian front hub and they're strong as day 1 (i've had them 2 years now). Any fork with the 24x1.5mm threading should fit a lot of the forks on the market use it so there should be no probleme finding one that works. If you're looking for more stable stuff and going big the r32s should be good. If your riding .075975967593976 mph at a flat ledge then the r25s will turn faster going slower. Stick with the r32s

|

12/23/2016 10:16 PM

I think there are better forks, if you plan on doing a lot of grinding. I dont like the 4mm dropouts. Thats just me though. Im sure others will have different opinions.

|

12/23/2016 11:52 PM

A couple of mm offset won't make any real difference. Angling your bars a little further forward would make more difference. They're good forks, you probably wouldn't notice a difference between them and forks made by any other brand. Loads of shops have spare top caps for them

|

12/24/2016 1:09 AM

Coopers25 wrote:

Your WTP fork is probably around 30-35mm range the r32s should feel right at home for you. My animal butcher pegs fit my ...more

Thanks man! Yeah I'd go with 32 now (: Do you know if odyssey would warranty the forks if the drop outs bent ? (Not saying the would haha)

|

12/24/2016 7:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2016 7:29 AM

They probably would, but not sure. will probably hold up fine anyway. They just seem like an older design, when most the top of the line forks are moving to investment cast. I wonder if odyssey will ever get around to that.

|

12/24/2016 9:39 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Thanks man! Yeah I'd go with 32 now (: Do you know if odyssey would warranty the forks if the drop outs bent ? (Not saying the ...more

Yes… hence the whole lifetime warranty for "bending and breaking"

|

12/25/2016 11:31 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

They probably would, but not sure. will probably hold up fine anyway. They just seem like an older design, when most the top ...more

No need to. Their "old" styled forks still out last all of those Investment Cast forks. Investment casting is more of a gimmick than anything imo.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx