You VS. Your Local

Related:
Create New Tag

12/11/2016 8:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2016 8:27 PM

My setup, for the most part, has always been a brake-equipped pegless bike. My local park, however, is boxes and ledges and rails (oh my). There's a decent 6-foot quarter without coping and a smaller 3-foot one with a really, REALLY steep tranny and overdone coping to the point where you're launched outwards away from the quarter, and a 4-foot flat-topped pyramid box jump with four angles to jump from.

That being said, has where you lived or how your local park is built shaped who you are as a rider? Would you be more "street" if your area was full of ledges and rails? Would you be more "park" if you lived just next to a place full of ramps, quarters, and half-pipes? Maybe you'd simply avoid the parks and find spots?

Or did you just decide what kind of rider you would be regardless of your situation?

Just popped into my head today after looking back to sessions at my street-oriented local when I'd be sitting on the quarter, waiting to drop in while everyone else with their four-pegged machines sit in front of the ledges.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

12/11/2016 10:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2016 10:53 PM

I think it partly comes down to your location (whether you're near a good park, or good street spots). But it also has to do with what you find more natural to ride.
A good friend of mine pretty much only rides trails, so his bike is set up perfectly for trails. There's not a trails scene here so he only really rides when he travels. No one here is willing to help build, even though we have a couple of fairly famous trails near us (him and I are building this winter though!). He's tried to build a more all round bike and just didn't like it. And he doesn't enjoy skateparks.
Then there's me, I ride pegless and brakeless, and I'd much rather ride street. I don't enjoy skateparks at all. I prefer finding things that weren't build for riding and trying to ride them. There's a skatepark literally over the road from where I live, but I'd rather jump on a train and find some street than ride that park (it's a shit park). There's street in the town I live in, but it's all in very public places, so I tend not to ride here.
At the other local park (which is in the town my friend lives in) there's loads of park riders. They love that place. But most of them get good in a couple of years then quit. My thoughts are they quit because they get bored of that park, but think they're bored of riding. Riding that park is convenient for them, so they don't explore their surroundings. They all just learn tricks out of a fly out (it's actually a jump box, but it's really hard to clear because the lip is steep and there's no room to put extra cranks in after you drop in for it). Once they've learned tricks, they get bored. They seem to not have a desire to try those tricks on other things, or even try other types of riding.
I don't really do tricks as such, so I can have a nibble anywhere and have fun. But skateparks make me feel a bit confined, and almost force me to ride something I'm not very interested in.
If there was a plaza near me, I'd probably love it. But there's nothing quite like rolling around looking for weird stuff to ride on.

Edit: even though I prefer street, I still have no desire to put pegs on. Similar to having a good local park, I find pegs would be the convenient thing to do when I ride. Most riders with pegs do nothing but grinds and tend not to look closer at their surroundings to see what else is possible. I personally find being brakeless and pegless, and riding street, makes me look a lot harder for things to ride, it keeps my imagination active, and forces me to be more creative with my riding. And that's what I find fun. I'm pretty sure there's spots near me that no one else has ever ridden, or even looked at the same way I do because it's not a ledge to grind, or a quarter to air out of.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just quite passionate about that side of street riding

|

12/12/2016 12:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2016 12:13 AM

Naw man, I love an outlook into another rider's perspective!

I totally get where you're coming from, and I definitely feel the same way about pegs. That's sick with the trails! Hope you folks have a blast when you get to it! It's funny, even when I see a good street edit and get slightly pumped up to just do a few things on even a small curb or driveway bank, I realize none of that stuff was in the edit but massive double peg hard 360's and crankflips and ice 180's and crankflips and nose manuals to crankflips. Heh.

I distinctly remember a time when I jumped in on a ledge sesh (the only street-oriented group I rode with ever, haha) where it was a small foot-tall cement block just at the edge of a sidewalk curb and did a nollie drop off the edge of the block to abubacu on the curb then just faked out on the street. I was the lone wolf amongst the four-pegs freecoaster gang. They were sort of surprised and told me they never would've imagined to do that, ever.

Like you said, I definitely feel like this outlook on obstacles changed immensely when your setup comes into play, and I do think it gets the creative juices flowing. I was stoked that day and, now that I think about it, maybe I'll pedal around my area to search for little jibs, haha! Thanks for sharing!

|

@scootereyn

12/12/2016 1:27 AM

i have the most street skatepark and yet i still ride park, i just travel a bit

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

12/12/2016 2:01 AM

I love all the sides of bmx, I love as much riding street tech, than ride a bowl or a trail full speed.

But I ride mostly street because that's what I have best in town. There's also two parks, a weird shitty prefab with a slippery floor covered of scooter kids, or a second one which is great with a pyra, a manual pad, a tiny quarter, a A kicker and a flat bar, plus the ground is shitty for skaters so when I get there with friends we got the park for us. So it's basically a park where you work on street moves.

Because of these lack of spots I started riding 4 pegs and a coaster to get all the options of riding, and now I can't ride without it, I like to use pegs in creative ways like peg chinkink poles and stuffs, but I don't limit my street riding to pegs riding, I love to do various popped footplants, bumpumps, gaps, many fakie stuffs, and sometimes all of these coupled with peg moves because that's what I do afterall.
But no bars or whips, I just hate them.

|

12/12/2016 5:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2016 5:12 AM

I feel like i have my bike set up to be comfortable in the park and on trails...though trails around here don't have the large epic jumps...they are moe like pump tracks. I definitely have park tires on so right now I don't ride the trails cause I would be slipping and falling all the time.

I know that I grew up in a time where you just got on your bike and rode whatever was under your tires, so my set up is probably not as detailed as most on this forum. But now that I ma getting back into it more, I am relearning what I want, and how to tweak things to get better response out of the bike. When I get my Verde, I will then set up both bikes to be specific to one type of riding.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/12/2016 6:09 AM

I was lucky enough to grow up biking with my dad and his old frame is actually what i ride now, but i grew up riding a local race track and just jumping off curbs and such,sometimes we'd go to a local concrete park but i was scared of any kind of bowl i didn't race or anything but if you fast forward to now, i am mainly a street rider, I travel on my bike and just use the spots i can to ride, if i can get a ride i go to the local park and i enjoy riding transition but street is just what i feel most comfortable with, which is kind of confusing because i used to watch dave mirra and jamie bestwick and all the classic pros riding park and vert

|

12/12/2016 6:55 AM

Grew up a street rider since its all I had before getting a car. Skateparks are now more accessible to me but I still immensely prefer street riding. To the point where I often have more fun riding street alone than at a park with people.

|

12/12/2016 7:54 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Grew up a street rider since its all I had before getting a car. Skateparks are now more accessible to me but I still ...more

Lone street sessions are where it's at. It gives me a feeling of complete clarity, not having to worry about what anyone else is doing, or getting in their way, and not having to wait and dodge people to do a line. It's like a form of meditation to me. Just me, my bike, and my imagination. And not worrying about anything outside of riding too.
I actually enjoy the ride to a skatepark more than riding it. Even if it just involves coasting and doing little nose bonks and stuff.

Although, being a bit of an old geezer, I feel like the general public must think I'm a weirdo. It doesn't bother me, I'm usually in my own little world. But every now and then I'll fall or something, then realise there's people watching me. While I'm rolling around on the floor making weird noises and muttering to myself haha

|

12/12/2016 8:19 AM

I used to ride street in the late 90's, then I moved to the mountains in 2001 and didn't ride again until now. I mostly just noodle about in the street to re-learn some things I used to know how to do and get comfortable on my new bike. I'll probably end up riding a bit of everything here though. There's a nice park in town and a new park and trails being built in the town 10 minutes away. The new park and trails are right across the street from my buddies house.

|

12/12/2016 5:00 PM

i like everything besides dirt because i always fuck my shit up on it. like no matter what. lol

but the parks by me werent that great... there was a couple good ones for everything but they got torn down or closed up. then theres other ones that are way too easy or way too much. progression is hard. especially when youre not a consistant rider or not willing to travel a couple towns

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/12/2016 9:56 PM

Thanks for the input, guys! Loved reading your stories. :D

|

@scootereyn

12/12/2016 11:53 PM

I haven't learned a new trick in nearly 20 years. Maybe more....

Doing a feeble grind, manual, 180, or whatever, in the street vs. at a park is the same to me. It's all just riding. I don't find quarter pipes in the street though. Don't usually find wall rides at parks.

I just ride whatever is in front of me with whatever bike I'm on.

it's all just riding...

we call it freestyle.

|

12/13/2016 6:01 AM

pnj wrote:

I haven't learned a new trick in nearly 20 years. Maybe more....

Doing a feeble grind, manual, 180, or whatever, in the ...more

this is pretty much how i feel as well. I ride mostly park right now cause it is the easiest to access, but it is all just really riding what is front of you. I guess I ride "Street" on the way to the park? And if I take the shortcut through the woods to the park, I am riding trails.

I am the same on my MTB. People ask me if I ride XC, Enduro, All Mountain....I say "I see an opening in the woods and I go into it, so I am riding whatever that would be". Often I will ride my MTB at the skatepark,,,that REALLY messes with the categorizers brains....devil Especially cause it is a 29+

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/13/2016 8:53 AM

^no.
Trails are dirt jumps, not single track. smile

|

12/13/2016 10:59 AM

My bike is set up very limited. Pegless, brake less, cassette, also slammed seat and small bars. I'm not really a fan of street riding at all.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

12/13/2016 11:46 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Lone street sessions are where it's at. It gives me a feeling of complete clarity, not having to worry about what anyone else ...more

There's no one at my school that rides because it's full of preppy ass kids and no bmxers at the skatepark. I don't really have a choice about riding alone. Its a sight to behold when I'm wearing a studded out denim jacket riding on a clanky ass bike past a bunch of guys in vineyard vines on campus though, its pretty funny.

|

12/13/2016 1:21 PM

Four wrote:

My bike is set up very limited. Pegless, brake less, cassette, also slammed seat and small bars. I'm not really a fan of ...more

Sounds like the perfect street set up to me!

|

12/13/2016 1:21 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Grew up a street rider since its all I had before getting a car. Skateparks are now more accessible to me but I still ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Lone street sessions are where it's at. It gives me a feeling of complete clarity, not having to worry about what anyone else ...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

There's no one at my school that rides because it's full of preppy ass kids and no bmxers at the skatepark. I don't really ...more

That's awesome! I hope you never change!

|