Your Own Contest

Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2014 1:04 PM

If you could fund your own contest, what would it be like?
Mine would be similar to Texas Toast, with as much of the fun vibe, but a bit less of the DIY vibe maybe. It would be non-invitational, meaning anyone could compete, but registration would be strict so we wouldn't end up with TOO many competitors. But I would try and get a lot of well-known pros to compete too. There would be typical course runs with points and judges and all that, but there would also be a smaller game of BIKE tournament. It would last several days, and there would be several musical performances with all types of music and performers. Shitload of food too, and camping.

What about you?

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

1/22/2014 1:12 PM

Bring back redbull elevation.....have it like a 5 or 6 day festival thing kind of like crankworx .....have qualifiers finals and a best trick jam, a pro class ,an open amatuer class for anyone with the balls to ride huge ass dirt jumps......bmx needs more dirt

|

1/22/2014 1:21 PM

I prefer jams. Contests suck out all the fun for me.

|

1/22/2014 1:36 PM

I would allow anyone who came out to compete, but also have preliminary rounds to determine the final competitors. Maybe separate into age groups.. so like..

-Under 13
-13-17
-18-25
-25-30
-30 & over

Each division would play a quick game of BIKE on the course & the last 5 remaining in each class would be entered.

I'd like the course to be a long flat ledge on the left side, long flat rail on the right side (bought a foot high each, 15 feet long maybe, at least 2ft wide for the ledge) with a quarter pipe at the end, 1 box/pyramid jump before it, then before that would be another box jump, only with a 5 or 6 stair there with 2 ledges to grind down on both sides, then finally a quarter at that end.

so basically.. facing it you would see starting closest to you, a quarter, box jump with the hubbas, then box/pyramid jump, then quarter, and on the left side would be the ledge, right would be the rail.

$15 to enter, $5 to spectate (free for parents for the under 13 class) you wouldn't have to pay if you didn't pass the BIKE round.
Winner of each class would win cash prize, part prizes, clothing, free DVD highlights of the contest, runner up would receive clothing prizes & the DVD, the rest of them would receive the DVD as well.

Tricks would be judged by 3 judges for 3 rounds, points then averaged. You can put your foot down/fall twice, and that's it, you're done with that run. 1:30 each run, 2 minutes for the final run. Tricks judged on style, execution, combination, and ballsyness. Switch tricks would be given a little more leniency on style however.

After the contest there would be a best trick, highest air, highest hop, and probably other things as well. Contest would also include food afterwards (Pizza party?!) music on at all times except during the runs, when songs requested by the riders would be playing.

|

1/22/2014 1:46 PM

What would be really fun would be to have a qualifying round like that Wipeout TV show.

|

1/22/2014 2:07 PM

Mine would be something along the lines of a team based thing.

People would get together in teams and have one full week to film the best edit. One filmer, 3 riders, and one editor. It would be really easy to air on TV and really cool.

I think we could do another style of X Games. But like a traveling edition. There would be like a bus full of people who would compete in every skatepark in an area. Like say a few different states. So basically it could be brought to a lot more people. No matter what park either. I think thatd be really cool to watch and be a part of. Imagine Garrett Reynold's having to session the crap out of a tiny prefab park and the next day shred a concrete bowl? I think itd be the coolest thing. It could be any riders too.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/22/2014 2:10 PM

Hmm.. Interesting. Mine is sort of a mix between a few posts above me..

It would basically be a Street B.I.K.E tournament, but with qualifying to determine the top 32.

Set would be a relatively long ledge to the right followed by two small bollards, a backless bench on the left, followed by a planter with a thick wall, followed by another backless bench, and a 6 step stair set at the end with rails either side.

To qualify, each entrant would have to put down a line and would be marked out of 10 points for originality, 10 points for style and 10 points for skill. (I think... Not entirely sure on those. I don't want difficulty of 'tricks' to dominate, because some simple/easy lines are dope and i wouldn't want to penalize them for that)

Top 32 go through, and it's then just a knock-out tournament of B.I.K.E, but instead of tricks, it's the entire line. Lowest scorer of the pair sets the line, and the second has to try and copy it.

|

1/22/2014 2:11 PM

I never understood why there were bmx teams, but no contest was set up as a team competition. Something like BSD vs. Cult would be entertaining.

|

1/22/2014 2:19 PM

Lately I've been watching thrashers king of the road that's a pretty sweet contest concept

|

1/22/2014 2:26 PM

Teams would be pretty cool to watch actually... Like a 3v3 or 5v5 battle, team with most individual wins wins.

|

1/22/2014 2:50 PM

Zhuxiong wrote:

Teams would be pretty cool to watch actually... Like a 3v3 or 5v5 battle, team with most individual wins wins.

Cumulative score. And none of this choosing the better score.

|

1/22/2014 3:06 PM

I see. Fair enough.

|

1/22/2014 3:38 PM

Bmx-a-palooza. Two weeks. Four day qualify event. Five days for bracket style comp. Each rider gets one minute on a park with a plaza, park stuff, and somehow, dirt. Winner of round moves on. Rest of time is basically walk around, look at booths, and ride on the park.

|

1/22/2014 4:57 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

People would get together in teams and have one full week to film the best edit. One filmer, 3 riders, and one editor. It would be really easy to air on TV and really cool.

I think we could do another style of X Games. But like a traveling edition. There would be like a bus full of people who would compete in every skatepark in an area. Like say a few different states. So basically it could be brought to a lot more people. No matter what park either. I think thatd be really cool to watch and be a part of. Imagine Garrett Reynold's having to session the crap out of a tiny prefab park and the next day shred a concrete bowl? I think itd be the coolest thing. It could be any riders too.

I dig the fuck outta both of these
the first one sounds similar to woodward west shootout

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

1/23/2014 8:43 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

That first bit is a lot like Ride To Glory.

|

1/23/2014 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2014 6:59 PM

Everyone had to ride vert, street, trails, and flatland. And race too. Gauntlet of death too.

|

fack off

1/23/2014 7:16 PM

part one: dirt contest, judged on awesomeness.
part two: all the riders get together and have a drinking contest
Formula to win: score+number of beers drank=total score
highest score wins

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

1/23/2014 7:25 PM

Not really a contest but it would be like a week long party with huge jams (dirt,street,park) anyone thats wants to can ride. there'd be smaller "cotests" that are judged by other riders (age groups like sunday said). The main focus would be for everyone to just get together and ride and enjoy themselves

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/23/2014 7:29 PM

day1: BMX tennis and synchronized flatland
day2: skid mark contest and bbq
day3: demolition derby followed by fashion shoot

|

1/24/2014 2:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2014 2:22 PM

1: Game of bike
2: cook out
3: have the funs
4: raffle parts away or something similar to...
5: Have a rocket launch in the sky
6: get a rocket propelled truck
7: get some crazy string LOL
8: Have a lion there....

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...