advantage of big bars

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2014 7:17 AM

what is the advantage of small bars and advantage of big bars (rise wise)

|

5/28/2014 7:37 AM

Mostly it's personal preference. I loved how my 8.75's felt but I'm now onto 9.5s as I have a bad back. Higher rise helps my back by keeping my body in a more upright position. Thats my take on it and also my preference.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

5/28/2014 7:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2014 11:17 AM

taller feels more comfortable because you're standing more upright and not leaning over the front so much. and taller bars = more legroom for turndowns. at least that's how i feel anyway

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

5/28/2014 8:30 AM

As tomdon said, its all personal preference.. Some people do it as a trend thing.. I personally cant ride over 9 rise or under 8.5

|

5/28/2014 8:53 AM

It's all about comfort and control. I'm 6'3 and use to ride short and narrow bars which killed my lower back. As others have posted, it's all about personal preference.

|

5/28/2014 10:18 AM

With bigger bars it doesnt feel like youre riding a scooter.

|

5/28/2014 10:23 AM

Bigger bars=more bike control (to an extent)

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

5/28/2014 10:44 AM

Well..

Basically you want to hit your sweet spot. Comfortable with close to absolute no extra height. At first when you try out big bars they seem SUPER comfy and just PERFECT. But, the bigger the bars, the slower your progression is almost certain to come to (to an extent, super small bars will hinder with progression just aswell.) This applies to most people, some people are affected less (few not at all) and some peoples sweet spots are higher than others. I want to say majority of riders will find their sweet spot inbetween 8.25-9.25" bar rise.
Im 6'1" I just recently got 8.5s and didn't really like them. I have super achey bones so it killed my back and tempered with my progression more than just going bigger would have. I snagged a set of 9ers and played around with my spacers and found my sweet spot. My back pain is very very minimum but my progression isnt badly effected by them, in fact its sped up noticeably since my mid-line back aches have gone away. When I ride 9.5-10" bars i dont really procede with my riding, infact I begin to lose tricks because its alot more work to keep every trick in my trick list.

Bar width is important aswell. I personally wouldnt suggest anything over 28.5", 28 is my favorite though im pretty broad shouldered.
Recommended bar width is AS CLOSE TO YOUR SHOULDER WIDTH AS COMFORTABLY POSSIBLE. This is because when your hands are inline with your shoulders, you are pulling directly up when you hop, therefore you can hop much higher. When your hands are angled AWAY from your shoulders, you are now pulling both up and INWARDS when you pull up, therefore you have a fraction of your force actually acting AGAINST you pulling up. Pulling inwards also makes you more susceptible to your hands sliding on your grips. It also holds your wrists at a weird angle when you land which can easily cause pain- this is actually the reasoning behind upsweep, to assist your wrist angle when holding past your shoulder width (ill cover this later.)
The BEST way to figure out what width you need is too see where your hand lays on your grip. If you hold the inner edge of your grip, you are naturally wanting to hold closer in, so narrower bars are something you naturally want without necessarily realizing. If you hold outter grip, then you naturally want wider bars. When you hold center grip naturally without forcing it, thats when you are on your personal perfect width.

Back to what I was saying about upsweep. If you are holding your bars directly or extremely close to directly in line with your shoulders, you will want 1-1.5degree upsweep to hold your wrist at the correct angle on the bar. If you hold just slightly out of line, 2-3degree will ensure that your still holding correctly. If you ride humongo bars and hold way past your shoulder width, 3.5-5degree will keep everything right.
Examples for improper upsweeps would be..
Holding shoulder width with 4degree upsweep, this will cause you to be putting all your weight on your outter palm towards your pinky.
Holding 2inches past shoulder width with 1degree upsweep, this causes all your force to go down onto your inner palm towards your thumb.
A proper set up would be holding .75" past shoulder width with 2.5degree upsweep. This will ensure your hands are flat on the bar and all force will be distributed equally amongst your whole palm which will eat most of an impact before it reaches your wrist.

Hope I was able to help!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/28/2014 11:32 AM

^I think you're thinking a little too into it... that's coming from an engineering student. There's no science to it, it's just whatever feels right to you. Some short people like 9x32 bars, some tall people like 7.75x25.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/28/2014 11:44 AM

Taller bars help your back....but good luck with tricks like candy bars

|

5/28/2014 12:30 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

^I think you're thinking a little too into it... that's coming from an engineering student. There's no science to it, it's just whatever feels right to you. Some short people like 9x32 bars, some tall people like 7.75x25.

Seriously. I'm taking engineering classes at USC and while some of the stuff hes saying isnt false, theres a whole ton of bullshitting as well. I agree that theres a sweet spot, but your "guidelines" are absolute crap. My friend who's 6'3" rides 8"x26" bars with a frontload, and a kid I see at long beach is probably 5' even and uses perfect 10s with a topload and can hop over bar height

|

5/28/2014 12:50 PM

With my experience taller bars makes hopping easier but don't hop as high. You can hop high but you have to put a bit more effort into it. Smaller bars i find you can hop higher but you really need to put a ton of effort into even with a small hop. I personally love my small Animal bob bars.

|

5/28/2014 1:10 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

Seriously. I'm taking engineering classes at USC and while some of the stuff hes saying isnt false, theres a whole ton of bullshitting as well. I agree that theres a sweet spot, but your "guidelines" are absolute crap. My friend who's 6'3" rides 8"x26" bars with a frontload, and a kid I see at long beach is probably 5' even and uses perfect 10s with a topload and can hop over bar height

I never once said anybody cant have a lower or shorter "sweet spot", I said I (ME) believe majority (most, not all) will find it between 8.25" and 9.25". Most of what I stated was based on both my personal experience and what I have observed from other riders aswell as plenty of things that ive read online. Im also basing my information off average height 5'9"-6'1". Obviously I wouldnt recommend 9.25" bars to someone 4ft tall.

Im also not trying to state that anyone should follow my "guidelines" or ride a part they are uncomfortable riding. I am simply trying to offer logical support to anybody who is unsure of what they want.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/29/2014 2:46 AM

bigger they are the more trendy you are.

bigger bars, more stable

smaller bars easier to yank them bitches up and tweak em around

its nice to find a solid inbetween... idk I always perfered smaller ones... I remember getting 7.75s and thinking they were kinda big lol

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

5/29/2014 5:06 AM

I prefer them tall. But short ones are nice too. I really can ride anything when it comes to bars, I really prefer tall bars, sometimes I like them more narrow depending on the crossbar height, etc. I mainly like my bars more on the really tall side due to chronic back pain. People that ride my bike say my front end is really high. It has a load of spacers and a high Madeira mast top load. I honestly love it because it is just right, I may go taller even. Just due to the ease of hopping and the better balance point for manuals. It is more stable. Right now, anything close to nine inches would be too tall and anything below 7.9 would be unbearable. Haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

5/29/2014 8:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2014 8:35 AM

helps with lower back pain for most taller people.

|

5/29/2014 5:00 PM

I ride 8 inch bars barspin are sick with them

|

5/29/2014 5:51 PM

One thing to say, go watch the tom dugan bar promo hahahaha sums it up perfectly.

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/29/2014 7:00 PM

I've tried small and bigger bars but went back to my small ones.Barspins (not busdrivers) spin much faster on smaller bars but bigger bars feel a bit good because the taller they are the more comfortable you feel but it's all about personal preference.I also do 50 50 xup grinds a lot and smaller bars feel better for that trick.As far as leverage for tricks like inverts it is more comfortable in my opinion on smaller bars but like I said,it's all about personal preference

|

5/29/2014 9:38 PM

bar X can suit nicely on Frame A. but could feel sucky on Frame B. it's all about the combination

|

5/30/2014 12:49 AM

I find that it puts less pressure on my back with taller bars, but it's down to personal preference. Also it's not just the bars that will affect the height of them, it can also be the stem (top load make the bars taller, front load makes them lower)

|