alienation skylark

Related:
Create New Tag

12/17/2017 2:24 PM

anyone ever own the skylark rims. I'm finding conflicting information on them. some say they are welded seam, and some say they are sleeved. which one is true? I'm probably getting a pair of them, and want to run them front and rear. if they hold up for a year ill be happy. found them for $40 for the pair. trying to lighten up my wheels a bit, and I think these will work good for me. I'm only like 150 pounds, and not a very hard rider. mostly flowing around the skatepark.

|

12/17/2017 3:03 PM

I know someone who has ran them front and back for the last year and they show no real signs of fatigue. For 20 each they are definitely worth trying.

|

Hmmm

12/17/2017 6:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2017 6:28 PM

Things you can cheap out on - grips, seats

Things you shouldn't cheap out on - basically every other part.

You ever watch a rim explode? Alex Liiv lost his face, Albie (I think) blew one up on an alley gap, and there was a guy who did the Levan church gap and blew up his Odyssey rear wheel. Good wheel building is important but dont cheap out on these components either.

Edit: I read your post above again. I think youll be okay hopefully.

|





12/17/2017 6:33 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Things you can cheap out on - grips, seats

Things you shouldn't cheap out on - basically every other part.

You ever watch a rim explode? Alex Liiv lost his face, Albie (I think) blew one up on an alley gap, and there was a guy who did the Levan church gap and blew up his Odyssey rear wheel. Good wheel building is important but dont cheap out on these components either.

Edit: I read your post above again. I think youll be okay hopefully.

Mike Hoder.

|

12/17/2017 6:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2017 7:33 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Things you can cheap out on - grips, seats

Things you shouldn't cheap out on - basically every other part.

You ever watch a rim explode? Alex Liiv lost his face, Albie (I think) blew one up on an alley gap, and there was a guy who did the Levan church gap and blew up his Odyssey rear wheel. Good wheel building is important but dont cheap out on these components either.

Edit: I read your post above again. I think youll be okay hopefully.

they are $50 rims. I wouldn't really call them cheap. probably a lot better than any that come on a complete, I have good hubs too. and like I said I'm not a heavy street rider. park and trails pretty much. I really just wanted to know if they actually have a welded seam or not. For $20 a piece, I'll probably just take the chance and find out myself. I could always resell them.

|

12/17/2017 10:58 PM

It's a race rim designed specifically for the front. It's pinned to save weight. The only people I've ever seen use them are park rats. But saying that, I've never seen one fall apart first hand. I guess it all depends how heavy you are on parts, and if you trust it enough to hold up. One wonky landing, or one hook up on a quarter could put you on your face

|

12/18/2017 5:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2017 5:07 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's a race rim designed specifically for the front. It's pinned to save weight. The only people I've ever seen use them are park rats. But saying that, I've never seen one fall apart first hand. I guess it all depends how heavy you are on parts, and if you trust it enough to hold up. One wonky landing, or one hook up on a quarter could put you on your face

Alright you got me second guessing this decision now. If they are sleeved and not welded, I guess I'll pass. I said I'd be happy if they lasted me a year, but I really just want to build something that I don't have to worry about. Don't you have some alienation rims? Are they the runaways? I've been looking at them too. I can get those for $30 each, and I think I may just do that instead. They are only a couple grams heavier than the skylarks anyway.

|

12/18/2017 5:54 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's a race rim designed specifically for the front. It's pinned to save weight. The only people I've ever seen use them are park rats. But saying that, I've never seen one fall apart first hand. I guess it all depends how heavy you are on parts, and if you trust it enough to hold up. One wonky landing, or one hook up on a quarter could put you on your face

ggallin422 wrote:

Alright you got me second guessing this decision now. If they are sleeved and not welded, I guess I'll pass. I said I'd be happy if they lasted me a year, but I really just want to build something that I don't have to worry about. Don't you have some alienation rims? Are they the runaways? I've been looking at them too. I can get those for $30 each, and I think I may just do that instead. They are only a couple grams heavier than the skylarks anyway.

I've got felons, they're made from a (supposedly) stronger material and the holes are drilled at an angle so the nipples pull in line with the spokes. Definitely good rims, and still cheaper than a lot of rims out there

|

12/18/2017 6:09 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's a race rim designed specifically for the front. It's pinned to save weight. The only people I've ever seen use them are park rats. But saying that, I've never seen one fall apart first hand. I guess it all depends how heavy you are on parts, and if you trust it enough to hold up. One wonky landing, or one hook up on a quarter could put you on your face

ggallin422 wrote:

Alright you got me second guessing this decision now. If they are sleeved and not welded, I guess I'll pass. I said I'd be happy if they lasted me a year, but I really just want to build something that I don't have to worry about. Don't you have some alienation rims? Are they the runaways? I've been looking at them too. I can get those for $30 each, and I think I may just do that instead. They are only a couple grams heavier than the skylarks anyway.

The runaways are very good rims, I ran one for the best part of 2 years and never had a problem with them.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/18/2017 6:18 AM

I know Cory Berglar runs a Skylark in the front.... just thought I'd add thattongue

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/18/2017 6:25 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know Cory Berglar runs a Skylark in the front.... just thought I'd add thattongue

And he goes HARD haha

|

12/18/2017 6:29 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know Cory Berglar runs a Skylark in the front.... just thought I'd add thattongue

RumHam wrote:

And he goes HARD haha

Yes, that is why I mentioned it!wink silly

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/18/2017 8:04 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know Cory Berglar runs a Skylark in the front.... just thought I'd add thattongue

I thought about running it in front with a runaway in the back. IDK though, I kind of just want 2 matching rims, that's why I was gonna a run them front and back. I don't even really need rims right now, I just want a nice matching pair. Oh and to grumpysteve, these are made out of the same stronger material as the felons, and the are also cross laced. They look nice too for $30. I think they usually go for $60ish.

|

12/18/2017 10:12 AM

Baldock ran one fo a while as well, dude puts his bike through it’s paces.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

12/19/2017 12:24 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know Cory Berglar runs a Skylark in the front.... just thought I'd add thattongue

ggallin422 wrote:

I thought about running it in front with a runaway in the back. IDK though, I kind of just want 2 matching rims, that's why I was gonna a run them front and back. I don't even really need rims right now, I just want a nice matching pair. Oh and to grumpysteve, these are made out of the same stronger material as the felons, and the are also cross laced. They look nice too for $30. I think they usually go for $60ish.

Go for the runaways then I guess. At least you'll know they'll last longer and are matching. I'm still debating whether or not to get g sport rims. They're bloody expensive though

|

12/19/2017 5:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2017 5:10 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know Cory Berglar runs a Skylark in the front.... just thought I'd add thattongue

ggallin422 wrote:

I thought about running it in front with a runaway in the back. IDK though, I kind of just want 2 matching rims, that's why I was gonna a run them front and back. I don't even really need rims right now, I just want a nice matching pair. Oh and to grumpysteve, these are made out of the same stronger material as the felons, and the are also cross laced. They look nice too for $30. I think they usually go for $60ish.

grumpySteve wrote:

Go for the runaways then I guess. At least you'll know they'll last longer and are matching. I'm still debating whether or not to get g sport rims. They're bloody expensive though

They are expensive, but maybe they will last longer too. I mean they better at that price. I've always wondered if a $100 rim is really twice as good as a $50 like a sun big baller? Twice as strong, and lasts twice as long.? If they aren't, which I'm not really sure they are, then they aren't worth it are they? Just a thought, I don't know... I guess there's really no way to know for sure.

Forgot to add, I think I decided to just buy another fly pyramide 2. I already have one, and it's held up pretty good the past year, in the back, so I know it will be fine in the front. Then I'll have my 2 matching rims, and be satisfied. It's really just about looks for me at this point. I just want to look at my bike, and be like yeah, I'm happy with this. Lol, because it bugs me right now all mismatched.

|

12/19/2017 5:35 AM

^^ to you two up there... Gsport rims are totally worth it tbh... becasue when you buy a Gsport rim you're basically buying 2... one now and another one later if you are able to break the rim... Gsport's reputation and warranty is good enough for me to spend $80-$90 on a rim... but get the Ribcage or Rollcage for the back and a Birdcage up front... I've got a Ribcage back and a Birdcage front right now... both are spectacular rims... I used to have a Birdcage in the rear and had 0 problems with it... but I did take care of the wheel and kept it true and spoke tight... but all of Gsport's rims are good!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/19/2017 10:26 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

^^ to you two up there... Gsport rims are totally worth it tbh... becasue when you buy a Gsport rim you're basically buying 2... one now and another one later if you are able to break the rim... Gsport's reputation and warranty is good enough for me to spend $80-$90 on a rim... but get the Ribcage or Rollcage for the back and a Birdcage up front... I've got a Ribcage back and a Birdcage front right now... both are spectacular rims... I used to have a Birdcage in the rear and had 0 problems with it... but I did take care of the wheel and kept it true and spoke tight... but all of Gsport's rims are good!

Meh. I'm not heavy on rims, so I don't really see it being worth spending twice the amount. If you get 2 rims for the price of one under warranty, it's still no cheaper if they cost twice the amount

|

12/19/2017 2:29 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

^^ to you two up there... Gsport rims are totally worth it tbh... becasue when you buy a Gsport rim you're basically buying 2... one now and another one later if you are able to break the rim... Gsport's reputation and warranty is good enough for me to spend $80-$90 on a rim... but get the Ribcage or Rollcage for the back and a Birdcage up front... I've got a Ribcage back and a Birdcage front right now... both are spectacular rims... I used to have a Birdcage in the rear and had 0 problems with it... but I did take care of the wheel and kept it true and spoke tight... but all of Gsport's rims are good!

grumpySteve wrote:

Meh. I'm not heavy on rims, so I don't really see it being worth spending twice the amount. If you get 2 rims for the price of one under warranty, it's still no cheaper if they cost twice the amount

Odyssey hazard lites really seem like the best of both worlds. I bet they are the strongest rim you can get for $65. Plenty strong enough for most pros, so you know they will hold up to the average rider for years.

|

12/19/2017 7:32 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

^^ to you two up there... Gsport rims are totally worth it tbh... becasue when you buy a Gsport rim you're basically buying 2... one now and another one later if you are able to break the rim... Gsport's reputation and warranty is good enough for me to spend $80-$90 on a rim... but get the Ribcage or Rollcage for the back and a Birdcage up front... I've got a Ribcage back and a Birdcage front right now... both are spectacular rims... I used to have a Birdcage in the rear and had 0 problems with it... but I did take care of the wheel and kept it true and spoke tight... but all of Gsport's rims are good!

grumpySteve wrote:

Meh. I'm not heavy on rims, so I don't really see it being worth spending twice the amount. If you get 2 rims for the price of one under warranty, it's still no cheaper if they cost twice the amount

ggallin422 wrote:

Odyssey hazard lites really seem like the best of both worlds. I bet they are the strongest rim you can get for $65. Plenty strong enough for most pros, so you know they will hold up to the average rider for years.

Yeah I mean there is probably nothing wrong with the Hazard Lites... but for like $15 more I can get a Gsport Rollcage... and for $10 more I could get a Ribcage... I just love my Gsport rims thoughsilly

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/20/2017 12:29 AM

Aren't ribcage's the more expensive one's? Because they have the extra rib? That's an extra 30 for a pair. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty snobby about my bike, and that alone makes me want g sport rims. I'm just struggling to justify it. Although, I'm building my son an awesome bike, so he could have my current rims. I was going to get him a pair of skylarks to save weight, and he's certainly not going to be jumping off roofs any time soon.

|

12/20/2017 5:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/20/2017 5:11 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Aren't ribcage's the more expensive one's? Because they have the extra rib? That's an extra 30 for a pair. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty snobby about my bike, and that alone makes me want g sport rims. I'm just struggling to justify it. Although, I'm building my son an awesome bike, so he could have my current rims. I was going to get him a pair of skylarks to save weight, and he's certainly not going to be jumping off roofs any time soon.

If you want skylarks, I can get them for $20 each. I'd jump on that soon if I were you. I can pm you a link if you want. I'd rather keep this on the dl lol. And I really doubt roll cages are any stronger than hazard lites. They are quite a bit lighter. I've seen spokes pull through the rim with roll cages. That doesn't happen with hazards.

|

12/20/2017 5:12 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Aren't ribcage's the more expensive one's? Because they have the extra rib? That's an extra 30 for a pair. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty snobby about my bike, and that alone makes me want g sport rims. I'm just struggling to justify it. Although, I'm building my son an awesome bike, so he could have my current rims. I was going to get him a pair of skylarks to save weight, and he's certainly not going to be jumping off roofs any time soon.

ggallin422 wrote:

If you want skylarks, I can get them for $20 each. I'd jump on that soon if I were you. I can pm you a link if you want. I'd rather keep this on the dl lol. And I really doubt roll cages are any stronger than hazard lites. They are quite a bit lighter. I've seen spokes pull through the rim with roll cages. That doesn't happen with hazards.

You can get skylarks for £20 over here in the UK from custom riders and crucial. There must be loads of them kicking about somewhere for them to be sold so cheaply in so many places.

|

Hmmm

12/20/2017 9:11 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Aren't ribcage's the more expensive one's? Because they have the extra rib? That's an extra 30 for a pair. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty snobby about my bike, and that alone makes me want g sport rims. I'm just struggling to justify it. Although, I'm building my son an awesome bike, so he could have my current rims. I was going to get him a pair of skylarks to save weight, and he's certainly not going to be jumping off roofs any time soon.

Yeah the Ribcages are the mre expensive ones... but the have they extra rib like you stated and they are made from a secret high strength proprietary aluminum that is made on site just for the Ribcage rim...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/20/2017 9:41 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Aren't ribcage's the more expensive one's? Because they have the extra rib? That's an extra 30 for a pair. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty snobby about my bike, and that alone makes me want g sport rims. I'm just struggling to justify it. Although, I'm building my son an awesome bike, so he could have my current rims. I was going to get him a pair of skylarks to save weight, and he's certainly not going to be jumping off roofs any time soon.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah the Ribcages are the mre expensive ones... but the have they extra rib like you stated and they are made from a secret high strength proprietary aluminum that is made on site just for the Ribcage rim...

I doubt they are made of a secret alloy its just marketing.

|

Hmmm

12/20/2017 4:56 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Aren't ribcage's the more expensive one's? Because they have the extra rib? That's an extra 30 for a pair. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty snobby about my bike, and that alone makes me want g sport rims. I'm just struggling to justify it. Although, I'm building my son an awesome bike, so he could have my current rims. I was going to get him a pair of skylarks to save weight, and he's certainly not going to be jumping off roofs any time soon.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah the Ribcages are the mre expensive ones... but the have they extra rib like you stated and they are made from a secret high strength proprietary aluminum that is made on site just for the Ribcage rim...

Edman123 wrote:

I doubt they are made of a secret alloy its just marketing.

Yeah I really doubt this as well. By not saying what it is, it's just covering thier own ass, and allowing them to actually say we invented a new type of aluminum, that metal companies, who have been in the business hundreds of years, couldn't even figure out. Damn we are so awesome.

I know they are great rims, but like I said, I find it hard to believe they are twice as strong as a rim that costs half as much.

|

12/20/2017 5:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/20/2017 5:07 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah the Ribcages are the mre expensive ones... but the have they extra rib like you stated and they are made from a secret high strength proprietary aluminum that is made on site just for the Ribcage rim...

Edman123 wrote:

I doubt they are made of a secret alloy its just marketing.

ggallin422 wrote:

Yeah I really doubt this as well. By not saying what it is, it's just covering thier own ass, and allowing them to actually say we invented a new type of aluminum, that metal companies, who have been in the business hundreds of years, couldn't even figure out. Damn we are so awesome.

I know they are great rims, but like I said, I find it hard to believe they are twice as strong as a rim that costs half as much.

I dont know... maybe you guys are right... but at the end of the day it's our bikes and our money... just becasue I'm Ok spending $90 for a rim is my problem and if you don't want to spend the heat much that's ok... but I'm Ok with it becasue I think it's worth it but if you guys don't then that's ok...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/20/2017 11:37 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Yeah I really doubt this as well. By not saying what it is, it's just covering thier own ass, and allowing them to actually say we invented a new type of aluminum, that metal companies, who have been in the business hundreds of years, couldn't even figure out. Damn we are so awesome.

I know they are great rims, but like I said, I find it hard to believe they are twice as strong as a rim that costs half as much.

You're over exaggerating their claim, by a lot. They don't claim to make it, they claim to use it and have it made on site

"proprietary high strength aluminum alloy made specially for us in an on-site foundry"

They have it made, they didn't invent it and beat everyone in the metal industry of the history of the world to it like you're implying they did.


The "proprietary high strength aluminum" or "secret alloy" they use is actually a secret, not just marketing. Straight from George's mouth (well, fingers.) "However, the strongest 7000 series alloys dont really lend themselves well to extrusion or welding, so 7000 series rims (and frames etc) tend to be made of 7005 or similar and there are 6000 series materials (such as the one we use for the Ribcage) which are much stronger than 7005." So it IS claimed to be a very strong 6000 series aluminum, which is most likely and obviously kept secret because if you knew of a really strong material that's allegedly stronger than one of the leading strongest series aluminum, would YOU put it in every description allowing the competition to know it as well and utilize it themselves? I'm not an expert on metallurgy/metal fabrication, but I assume just by the number other companies could have the same metal made for them as well.


Lastly, if you actually believe a Skylark is anywhere near the strength of a Ribcage, you're a fucking idiot.

So, if you're just flowing around and not going very big or are really smooth, they'll be fine. Otherwise, don't expect them to last as long as a Ribcage would. There's a reason why Ribcages are regarded as one of, if not, the best rims out there... Not so called "marketing gimmicks"

|

12/20/2017 11:47 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I doubt they are made of a secret alloy its just marketing.

ggallin422 wrote:

Yeah I really doubt this as well. By not saying what it is, it's just covering thier own ass, and allowing them to actually say we invented a new type of aluminum, that metal companies, who have been in the business hundreds of years, couldn't even figure out. Damn we are so awesome.

I know they are great rims, but like I said, I find it hard to believe they are twice as strong as a rim that costs half as much.

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You're over exaggerating their claim, by a lot. They don't claim to make it, they claim to use it and have it made on site

"proprietary high strength aluminum alloy made specially for us in an on-site foundry"

They have it made, they didn't invent it and beat everyone in the metal industry of the history of the world to it like you're implying they did.


The "proprietary high strength aluminum" or "secret alloy" they use is actually a secret, not just marketing. Straight from George's mouth (well, fingers.) "However, the strongest 7000 series alloys dont really lend themselves well to extrusion or welding, so 7000 series rims (and frames etc) tend to be made of 7005 or similar and there are 6000 series materials (such as the one we use for the Ribcage) which are much stronger than 7005." So it IS claimed to be a very strong 6000 series aluminum, which is most likely and obviously kept secret because if you knew of a really strong material that's allegedly stronger than one of the leading strongest series aluminum, would YOU put it in every description allowing the competition to know it as well and utilize it themselves? I'm not an expert on metallurgy/metal fabrication, but I assume just by the number other companies could have the same metal made for them as well.


Lastly, if you actually believe a Skylark is anywhere near the strength of a Ribcage, you're a fucking idiot.

So, if you're just flowing around and not going very big or are really smooth, they'll be fine. Otherwise, don't expect them to last as long as a Ribcage would. There's a reason why Ribcages are regarded as one of, if not, the best rims out there... Not so called "marketing gimmicks"

When did I say or even imply a Skylark is as strong as any g-sport rim? I do think a hazard lite is stronger than a roll cage...

|

12/21/2017 1:09 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

When did I say or even imply a Skylark is as strong as any g-sport rim? I do think a hazard lite is stronger than a roll cage...

"I find it hard to believe they are twice as strong as a rim that costs half as much."

Is that not insinuating you doubt the Ribcages are that much stronger than a Skylark? Or did you mean a different rim? because a good bit of rims are already $60-$70 and the Skylarks are $40 so I figured you were referring to them.


I feel like Hazards are about the same as Rollcages. Rollcages are crosslaced though keep that in mind, but Hazards do have that extra internal chamber. It's a tough tossup but I do believe Ribcages are stronger than either of them.
|