anyone else ride their bars high, what are the pro's con's?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2021 1:14 AM

I have bars that are about 10'' rise and an additional 1.5cm spacer on top of that.

Cruising is the most comfortable it has ever felt but I have also noticed more difficulty with manuals.

How do you guys like riding your bars and why?

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

4/12/2021 1:17 AM

Photo
|

4/12/2021 3:19 AM

I run 9.25 bars, I think barspin are harder with higher bars

|

4/12/2021 5:04 AM

you get less pop with higher bars, and its harder to get high hops with taller bars. i used to run 10s on a topload but i much prefer the better pop of 10s on a frontload.

|

4/12/2021 5:21 AM

I know more than a few guys that ride with their bars high. I typically ride with mine sober..

|

4/12/2021 6:24 AM

Recently went to 10s on a TL stem because it's trendy and I'm really cool.

Lost hop bars, gained the infinite manual hack.

|

4/12/2021 6:24 AM

In my experience it takes about 2-3 days to get used to and then you can't tell any difference anyway. For me it actually made manuals easier, hops easier, and tailwhips a little harder. Don't know why.

|

4/12/2021 7:27 AM

I went from 9.5" Safari to 8.25" Grand Slams and cant grind the tall shit I used to grind but 8.25" just look better on me and I like being over my bars instead of behind them.

|

My mom thinks I’m special

4/12/2021 8:16 AM

8.75 and a front load with a low stack headset and 5mm spacer. Bars are also cut to 26ish"
To me, everything is a little harder with lower bars, but feels more dialled

|

4/12/2021 9:10 AM

Mad Mars more like mad bars

|

4/12/2021 9:11 AM

cky199 wrote:

Mad Mars more like mad bars

Or Mars bars

*Not a sponsored post

|

4/12/2021 9:56 AM

Idk

|

13 years old

4/12/2021 11:45 AM

9's with a top load here. I'll be dropping to 8.5's soon though as I prefer smaller bars.
Still feels weird calling 8.5 rise bars smaller.

|

4/12/2021 3:56 PM

Bars are awkward with taller bars. Planning on cutting my fork down a little after riding my friends bike with 9” bars and cut down fork

|

smile

4/12/2021 4:39 PM

with smaller bars you can kind of bunny hop the shit out of em'. but i don't know much else. i just thought tall bars were the popular thing to do.

|

4/12/2021 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2021 5:19 PM

Pros: better for your back
Cons: people who are 25+ years old and like FBM will make fun of you on internet forums

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

4/14/2021 8:13 AM

Ty morrow and Broc run super tall front ends. Your bunny hop theory has been debunked

|

4/14/2021 8:37 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Cons: people who are 25+ years old and like FBM will make fun of you on internet forums

As I get older the higher my bars seem to be getting , just upped my bars to 9.25 , I don’t need my back to be dead like fbm

|

4/14/2021 8:58 AM

adamantvagabond wrote:

Ty morrow and Broc run super tall front ends. Your bunny hop theory has been debunked

Broc’s bar size has gone up as of recently, I believe he rides 9.8” or 10” bars now, but when he was with volume he was running 9.25” bars and could still hop stupid high

Scerbo was hopping stupid high on 7.8” bars, it’s really all about technique and what works for you. Like I can hop better on 8.25/8.5” bars better than I can on 10” bars, just because that’s what works for me

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

4/14/2021 8:59 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

We are all angry from our back pain from small bars, and feel the need to take it out on people who have sense enough to run bars that won’t hurt them

/s

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

4/14/2021 9:06 AM

I've given the set up (10 inch plus spacer) a couple of days go. I've gotten used to them but I must say I've definitely lost a bit of bunnyhop control, pop and manual control. I have to ramp up the effort to hop as high as I used to on a lower set up. Pros are that I get zero back pain. Feels so nice for cruising.

|

4/14/2021 11:49 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Broc’s bar size has gone up as of recently, I believe he rides 9.8” or 10” bars now, but when he was with volume he was ...more

This. I could go months without riding my previous setup (7" bars, FL and 14.25"CS) and still have a decent hop first try. I'm pretty sure it's because with that setup you can pull the front up hard without feeling like looping out.

When I went to 10" bars, TL and 13.5"CS it felt great to cruise with, but I could never get the technique down without feeling like I was going to loop out. Like already said, there's a lot more pros today that ride 9.75"-10" bars, TL and sub 13.5"CS, so obviously if you have the technique it's not a disadvantage.

|

4/14/2021 12:27 PM

How high is high? I think that the bar rise is a really limited reference point. On my mixtape I am running a 9.25 on R25s with a cut steerer tube.

Even though it is not super “high” it feels a little bit taller than my Whammo setup with 9.5 Rebars on an uncut set of Pitchforks. The reason is because the stem does not have as much of a rise on the Whammo and the bottom bracket height is taller, making the bars feel lower than the Mixtape. Or it could just be psychosomatic.

I think that a more relevant measuring stick should be the subjective: How high do your bars reach on your body when you are standing next to your frame? This actually takes into account ride height and other height factors.

|

4/14/2021 1:55 PM

"I think that a more relevant measuring stick should be the subjective: How high do your bars reach on your body when you are standing next to your frame? This actually takes into account ride height and other height factors."

This has been something I've thought about for years, but like you mentioned BB height (also pedal thickness to a slight degree) could easily effect this measurement by +/- 0.5".

The only real way would be to measure the total "rise/ stack height" of your front end. That would include HT height, spacer stack height, stem stack height, stem rise and finally bar rise. Then you'd have to list BB height, pedal thickness and how tall you are. Even then you'd still have differences in arm, torsos and inseam length.

Most BMX riders when they see the above: Ain't nobody got time for that.
|

4/14/2021 2:19 PM

Bryan91 wrote: "I think that a more relevant measuring stick should be the subjective: How high do your bars reach on your body when you are ...more

Totally right. There are so many factors besides bar rise that contribute to the overall feel.

TBH, both of my handlebars when standing next to them touch approximately the same spot on my hip bone...so my subjective measurement is: my bar height ends should touch the middle of my hip bone.

|

4/14/2021 3:54 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

We are all angry from our back pain from small bars, and feel the need to take it out on people who have sense enough to run ...more

lol ig

|

4/14/2021 3:57 PM

If u dont have 10 inch bars, top load, and a spacer ur a boomer

|

13 years old

4/15/2021 1:25 AM

Bryan91 wrote: "I think that a more relevant measuring stick should be the subjective: How high do your bars reach on your body when you are ...more

You could measure from centre of BB to centre of bars, similar to how the reach of a frame is measured. But people's bodies are different too. It literally just comes down to personal preference.

Personally, I found tall bars worse for my back. It's not just about how they feel when cruising. 9" on a topload made me feel like I'd loop out easier, so I fought the bike more to keep balance.

|

4/15/2021 4:13 AM

.pegless. wrote:

You could measure from centre of BB to centre of bars, similar to how the reach of a frame is measured. But people's bodies ...more

And for me, 9" bars on a top load are PERFECT.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/20/2021 4:31 PM

9 bars with headset spacers is the way to go.

|