anyone know pedals that can be safely removed from their spindles?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2017 9:11 AM

I ride with flipped cranks (ie my RHD cranks are on the opposite sides they should be), this puts my pedals backwards ie they tilt backward not forward - I figured the obvious answer would be to just pop off the outside plastic piece that protects the end of the spindle hardware, unscrew the nut from the end of the spindle (may as well leave the spindles in the cranks right?), and swap the plastic bodies from their spindles to the opposing ones - this didn't go as I expected in practice, so I don't want to risk ruining any more pedals - does anyone know pedals that *will* allow this? It's almost as if some manufacturers are using loctite on the spindle's nut before assembly, so am really hoping to find a specific model of pedals that I can be sure will allow me to remove the plastic bodies from their spindles w/o worry of destroying them in the process!! Thanks :D

|

1/20/2017 9:18 AM

Kink Senec Pedals
https://www.danscomp.com/products/465286/Kink_Senec_PC_Pedals.html?&gclid=CMLgxLKc0dECFYJpfgodKeYLbA

Odyssey JCPC Pedals
https://www.danscomp.com/products/465146/Odyssey_JCPC_Pedals_(Jim_Cielencki).html

I think that any sealed pedal would be fine to take the pedal bodies off of, but I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that.

|

1/20/2017 2:19 PM

The nuts are so tight because they're "jam nuts" meaning they have a nut behind the nut, making them pretty damn tight and hard to get off sometimes.

You should be able to swap almost any pedal body over to the other spindle. I've done it before for a friend who had his pedals on backwards too. Just make sure you don't lose any of the ball bearings if it's an unsealed pedal, and put them back together correctly

|

1/20/2017 5:34 PM

Eclat AK pedals can have the bodies swapped to either side without issue.

http://eclatbmx.com/products/ak-pedal/

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/20/2017 9:37 PM

Bust those nuts off! Lol. there's 2, one behind the other. Any pedals bodies can be removed from the spindles, as for working on opposite sides, idk? But if you use enough leverage, you can break through locktite.

|

1/21/2017 6:41 AM

Sundaybmxrr- I hope that's the case with some of my other pedals, as my first pair I attempted it on was *not* a double nut setup, it was merely a single nut at the end of a cromo spindle (there was a nut, a spacer and two sealed bearing cartridges) What happened was I had gotten another pair of the same pedals I had only I got them in aluminum by mistake (I'd gotten the new pair because of a stripped-nut at the end of my first pair's spindle, so I still had the two good plastic bodies and one was still on its spindle just fine), I tried aluminum for a minute because it'd been long enough that I'd forgotten how bad they are for street, I took them off after a short ride because I found metal intolerable and I went to begin the process of swapping the plastic bodies onto the new aluminum pedals' spindles (same exact model just different pedal-body materials, am referring to the Monster pedals), I'd already had 1 plastic body sitting there so I went to remove the 2nd (good & assembled & relatively new) plastic pedal body from its spindle- the nut came off, but like 75% of the threading was gone, it had to have been some chemical bonding agent put on during assembly (many of which actually cause chemical reactions in the metal to form their bond ie they're not for things that're gonna be taken apart and re-used) So now I've got the two plastic Monster pedal bodies and a(n almost) brand-new set of the aluminum ones - I'm so confident the nuts on the ends of the aluminums' spindles will be stripped that I'm not going to try them, I'm going to try other pedals instead (I have a lot of pedals lol)

Dave Lawrence - Yes thank you I'm aware of those (he's actually my favorite bmx'er!!) they're just awfully expensive pedals and they look quite chunky (I like slim pedals, the Monsters were my favorites so far but it seems they use loctite or something on their nuts during assembly!)

ggallin422 - I was hoping for specific examples, the Monster pedals don't allow this, the nuts must have loctite or something because I've got two sheared nuts, one's got zero threading the other has like a quarter of its threading left! BTW how you liking that frame? That colorway is going for a great price (at 20.75" at least) on ebay right now, was eyeing it the other day!!

|

1/21/2017 7:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2017 7:12 AM

adfkje wrote:

Sundaybmxrr- I hope that's the case with some of my other pedals, as my first pair I attempted it on was *not* a double nut ...more

Man, I've never heard of that before. I guess some companies don't want you rebuilding your pedals. Why not just get some pedals that aren't directional? I do know that twisted pedals can be opened. They have the 2 nuts on top of each other.
I'm loving the Benny frame. It's great. I have the 20.75, it actually feels closer to 21 when sitting. I got mine on eBay too. I say go for it man. It's a good price.

|