anyone with breaks?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2014 10:46 AM

I run a chrome hazard lite rim in the back and I want clear break pads cuz I heard they stop really good and stuff but it says do not use clear pads with chrome rims on danscomp, I don't know what will happen, I don't care if its just an annoying squeak I just don't want it to take off the chrome finish or something. someone help me out what does clear pads do to a chrome rim?

|

12/24/2014 10:47 AM

and what is a good break set up (not gyro) that is really easy to install and remove because I want to only run breaks half the time

|

12/24/2014 10:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2014 11:57 AM

I run an Odyssey Springfield(with a lineir Odyssey slick kable. and a shadow sano medium lever and I have no problems. clear pads will stop better but i Think it'll wear the polish off the chrome. I noticed it happening with my green rim, but have no idea how it'd happen on chrome. This was before i switched to my current brakes. It comes with ghost pads which work really well imo.

Im going to have a chromed 7ka laced after newyears and a g3 installed, so I'll let you know how it works.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

12/24/2014 11:08 AM

Just don't run clear pads on a chrome rim, simple as that
tech 77, odyssey slick, some cnc'd brake arms and kool stop break pads is the optimal set-up

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/24/2014 11:12 AM

Best setup going is;
(Insert favourite leaver)
Odyssey cable (or gyro depending)
Demolition Vulcan v2 calipers with the bearings in them, far smoother than any others I've used

|

12/24/2014 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2014 11:45 AM

Medium Odyssey Monolever (Best lever you can get in my opinion)
Kink Desist Brake (7075 and super stiff, come with a great one piece cable hanger)
Tree Linear Cable (Best cable you can buy, simple as that)
Dual Compound Kool Stop BMX Pads (Don't squeak but are really, really good)

That's my exact setup, and it works great on my hard ano rims, which are similar to chrome in terms of braking.

|

12/24/2014 12:00 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Medium Odyssey Monolever (Best lever you can get in my opinion)
Kink Desist Brake (7075 and super stiff, come with a great one ...more

This^ when i run brakes those pads are absolutely perfect

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/24/2014 12:46 PM

I use a Sinz V lever (Dans will tell you that won't work, it does) Kink DX Cable (the one Tree ripped off) and a Demoliton Vulcan brake with the Demo pads. I used to run clear Odysseys but I honestly think they were worse than the pads I have now. I've heard gum Odysseys are really good.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

12/24/2014 2:17 PM

Clear pads are meant for colored rim so that the paint doesn't wear off when you break. Use regular pads on chrome.

|

12/24/2014 2:31 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

I use a Sinz V lever (Dans will tell you that won't work, it does) Kink DX Cable (the one Tree ripped off) and a Demoliton ...more

Tree didn't rip off the Kink cable, they licensed the two piece design and then added on even more awesome features.

|

12/24/2014 2:38 PM

Clear pads on chrome rims will squeak very loud & obnoxiously, or so I read.

|

12/24/2014 2:41 PM

*brakes

|

12/24/2014 2:46 PM

B(avaria)mx wrote:

*brakes

Thanks for clearing that up, we were bewildered to what the message was trying to convey.
Your clarification is much appreciated on behalf of the Vital BMX forum and it's community.

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/24/2014 3:16 PM

B(avaria)mx wrote:

*brakes

MidWestBMX wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up, we were bewildered to what the message was trying to convey.
Your clarification is much ...more

no problem mate

|

12/24/2014 3:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2014 3:22 PM

I think that the compound in clear brake pads will wear away the chrome on a chrome rim; that's probably why you shouldn't run them with a chrome rim. Stick to black pads with chrome rims. That's what I run and it works out great.

For brakes get:
Whatever lever feels comfortable (I liked the Dirt Harry but I run an odyssey small monolever)
A linear cable (they're all pretty much the same. Just make sure to pick a linear cable and not a regular one)
Odyssey Evolver II brakes (I run these and I like them alot)

That'd be a nice and simple setup. Most of the time brakes feels terrible it's because they are setup wrong and not because the brakes themselves suck. Make sure to lube all your cables with teflon and check to make sure that the brake arms swivel freely on the mounts once you put them on. Sometimes you have to sand down the 990 mounts to get a smoother return on your brakes. The most annoying thing about brakes is the upkeep; I usually rebuild my brakes every months or so. By rebuild I just mean that I take everything apart and relube the cables etc.

|

12/24/2014 4:07 PM

Actually I just googled it and found other answers of people saying it grips TOO well and can tear the pad apart

|

12/24/2014 7:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2014 7:43 PM

Etnies Brakes

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/24/2014 9:56 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Actually I just googled it and found other answers of people saying it grips TOO well and can tear the pad apart

That's exactly why they say chrome & clear is a bad idea

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

12/24/2014 10:10 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

tomdon wrote:

That's exactly why they say chrome & clear is a bad idea

Huh well TIL.

I actually never knew that, I don't really follow too much about brake stuff haha

|

12/24/2014 11:52 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Clear pads on chrome rims will squeak very loud & obnoxiously, or so I read.

this. have ran clear on chrome. you can. theyre just loud.

worked will though.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/25/2014 8:33 AM

3 breaks everyday at work

Works kicking ass today easy as fuck and making double time and a half

|

12/26/2014 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2014 11:28 AM

Shadow sano lever
Odyssey cable
Odyssey evo 2s

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

12/26/2014 2:18 PM

Basement Cat wrote:

I think that the compound in clear brake pads will wear away the chrome on a chrome rim; that's probably why you shouldn't run ...more

I have dual upper and lowers, and I do the relube about 3 times a year, mine seem to not gum up. But I also don't have local dirt, so that is some of it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/26/2014 3:18 PM

Odyssey lever
Odyssey QuikSlic cable
Mission arms I bummed off of my friend
Odyssey clear pads for Odyssey ano rim

I like Odyssey

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye