bb spacer is too short, cranks don't spin freely

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2014 4:15 PM

when i was installing my new wtp royal cranks, i took off the bearings to check how long was the spacer, and it is 2-3mm shorter than it should be to fit the bb shell perfectly. my cranks spin fine when tightening them, but the sprocket moves from side to side, it also happened with my old cranks, causing tight and loose spots (my chain is stretched too). what i want to know is if the bb spacer lenght is what causes this, because when i spin the cranks i can see that the the spindle, cones, spacers, etc wooble, and i don't why does this happen, anyone have any clue?

|

1/11/2014 4:21 PM

If at first you don't succeed .... Hit it with a hammer

|

1/11/2014 4:25 PM

eskimojay wrote:

If at first you don't succeed .... Hit it with a hammer

the bearings are already in the correct place, i can't make them go deeper in the bb shell

|

1/11/2014 4:27 PM

I don't even run bb spacers ...... Last one I had was to wide to fit in the bb on my frame so I said fuck it the cranks are almost ten years old and doing just fine

|

1/11/2014 4:35 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I don't even run bb spacers ...... Last one I had was to wide to fit in the bb on my frame so I said fuck it the cranks are almost ten years old and doing just fine

You really should run the spacer. It spreads the load through both bearings rather than just the single bearing. It keeps your cranks spinning better for a longer amount of time.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/11/2014 4:40 PM

I probably should........but my bb has 4 bearings in it it's holding up fine if it shits the bed bb kits are cheap I'm to lazy to put one in right now I'd rather take it apart when it explodes

|

1/12/2014 6:54 AM

i'll explain better the problem, when i spin my cranks, they dont spin freely because when i tighten them, as the sprocket woobles, it makes the bearing cap rub with the bearing in some point, and i don't know how can i fix this, this problem happened with my stock cranks, frame and bb, and it still does with my new cranks, new frame and same bb, maybe the bb is the problem?

|

1/12/2014 8:46 AM

Sounds like the spindle is a different size than your old cranks if it is shifting on the spindle if I am thinking from the side of the bike it looks to go up and down or forward and backward.

If you mean side to side from above (like if you were riding the bike it wobbles side to side), then loosen your sprocket bolt and make sure it is on any adaptor correctly, tighten the cranks, THEN tighten the spindle bolt.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/12/2014 10:11 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Sounds like the spindle is a different size than your old cranks if it is shifting on the spindle if I am thinking from the side of the bike it looks to go up and down or forward and backward.

If you mean side to side from above (like if you were riding the bike it wobbles side to side), then loosen your sprocket bolt and make sure it is on any adaptor correctly, tighten the cranks, THEN tighten the spindle bolt.

my old cranks were 19mm, the new ones are 19mm as well, so that's not the problem
i've just tried to take off the drive side crank arm but i couldn't, even though i used the crank puller that came with the crank, and used it like this guy does:

, result: stripped a bit the spindle and crank tool, i think i did something wrong but i don't know, this problem is really pissing me off, i was looking forward for the new cranks to fix the problem for a long time but it didn't.
the sprocket moves side to side, and it also has a small hop, like the spindle, bearing caps, spacers, etc. the bearings are 19mm, just like the cranks, i don't know if the bearings could be the problem, if so, i could try to replace them, because i got another set of bearings laying around which a friend gave me, they work fine, he didn't give me the spacer though.
hope anyone can help me with this, i'm sick of it

that is how the crank tool looks like

Photo
|

1/12/2014 12:09 PM

ivancuestabmx wrote:

my old cranks were 19mm, the new ones are 19mm as well, so that's not the problem
i've just tried to take off the drive side crank arm but i couldn't, even though i used the crank puller that came with the crank, and used it like this guy does:

, result: stripped a bit the spindle and crank tool, i think i did something wrong but i don't know, this problem is really pissing me off, i was looking forward for the new cranks to fix the problem for a long time but it didn't.
the sprocket moves side to side, and it also has a small hop, like the spindle, bearing caps, spacers, etc. the bearings are 19mm, just like the cranks, i don't know if the bearings could be the problem, if so, i could try to replace them, because i got another set of bearings laying around which a friend gave me, they work fine, he didn't give me the spacer though.
hope anyone can help me with this, i'm sick of it

that is how the crank tool looks like

Photo

just use the spacers from your new kit and try putting on the other bearings you have to see if that works

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/13/2014 6:42 AM

so, i want to replace the bearings and tighten the sprocket bolt after tightening the cranks so that it's straight, but i need to take the cranks off. i tried yesterday with a crank puller, i fucked it up (it's stripped) and the spindle is damaged too, i can feel that when i tighten the crank bolt with my hands, so i don't want to remove my cranks with anything that threads into the spindle.
putting the cranks on the first time was really hard, and i had to use a lot of force with the crank tool, i couldn't take them off with the crank puller yesterday, i used it just like this guy does

and the crank didn't move a bit. i think it's going to be really hard to take them off, i have a metal hammer, a brick of wood and a rubber mallet, i also have socket extensions, what would cause less damage to my cranks?
|

1/14/2014 5:54 AM

bump

|

1/14/2014 9:38 AM

It shouldn't be this hard could you take pictures? It sounds like you fucked your self but i'm not sure if the bolt is stripped to hell then maybe use a drill? i think the first problem might have been the sprocket bolt but not 100% sure pic's would kinda help though.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

1/14/2014 9:57 AM

Mikel8149 wrote:

It shouldn't be this hard could you take pictures? It sounds like you fucked your self but i'm not sure if the bolt is stripped to hell then maybe use a drill? i think the first problem might have been the sprocket bolt but not 100% sure pic's would kinda help though.

i can take pictures later but im sure they are installed properly, i think the only thing i did wrong was tightening the sprocket bolt before tightening the cranks. and yes, the cranks were hard as fuck to get into the axle, what i stripped with the crank puller when trying to take them off is the spindle thread (it's not really stripped, it's just damaged), the crank bolts are fine.
i think that what i should do, as i don't want to use any crank pullers, is use a socket extension, take off the crank bolt, and hammer it against the spindle (using something soft in the head of the socket extension)

another thing i did today, i installed the other bearings i have in my old frame, and when they are inside the frame, they spin really bad, and when i take them off, they spin perfectly, this doesn't happen with the bb in riding atm

|

1/14/2014 10:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2014 10:27 AM

Mikel8149 wrote:

ivancuestabmx wrote:

i can take pictures later but im sure they are installed properly, i think the only thing i did wrong was tightening the sprocket bolt before tightening the cranks. and yes, the cranks were hard as fuck to get into the axle, what i stripped with the crank puller when trying to take them off is the spindle thread (it's not really stripped, it's just damaged), the crank bolts are fine.
i think that what i should do, as i don't want to use any crank pullers, is use a socket extension, take off the crank bolt, and hammer it against the spindle (using something soft in the head of the socket extension)

another thing i did today, i installed the other bearings i have in my old frame, and when they are inside the frame, they spin really bad, and when i take them off, they spin perfectly, this doesn't happen with the bb in riding atm

I usually tighten my sprocket bolt before i put my cranks on, did you get a new sprocket too or forget the adapter on the sprocket (if it came with one) but you have different cranks so you put the sprocket on the crank arm then put the spindle through it? and did you use any type of grease on the threads before you put the cranks on? if you didn't that's probably why they are hard to get off but i would try to get another crank puller or maybe use a allen key but you are supposed to use a crank puller and if a bb spacer is too big what i did to mine was sand it down or you can get a new smaller one if you don't already have one.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

1/14/2014 1:21 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

ivancuestabmx wrote:

Mikel8149 wrote:

I usually tighten my sprocket bolt before i put my cranks on, did you get a new sprocket too or forget the adapter on the sprocket (if it came with one) but you have different cranks so you put the sprocket on the crank arm then put the spindle through it? and did you use any type of grease on the threads before you put the cranks on? if you didn't that's probably why they are hard to get off but i would try to get another crank puller or maybe use a allen key but you are supposed to use a crank puller and if a bb spacer is too big what i did to mine was sand it down or you can get a new smaller one if you don't already have one.

i used my old sprocket and adapter, which are fine, and they are installed properly, i also put a lot of grease in the spindle and crank arm splines. i'm not sure if i should take them off though, because the other set of bearings i have don't work properly when installed in the bb shell

|