best bike for 12 year old moving to 20"

Related:
Create New Tag

12/1/2013 7:25 PM

My son is moving up from an 18" Mirraco that is about 20lbs.
Looking for a super light 20 with a 20" head tube.

Most of the stuff out there at that size is junk.

Any suggestions?

|

12/1/2013 7:30 PM

If you want a quality freestyle complete that is twenty pounds, be prepared to spend like a thousand or so. Maybe. I might be off (correct me if I am) but if you want light weight and quality, get a race bike.

|

12/1/2013 7:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2013 7:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know it will be $$
Just trying to find a decent complete to start with instead of building a full custom for 2K

Race bike has the wrong geo.
Rides park mostly.

|

12/1/2013 7:39 PM

OrlandoSteve wrote:

I know it will be $$
Just trying to find a decent complete to start with instead of building a full custom for 2K

Rides park mostly.

For him, I would get a failure maniac off dans comp. Only 300 dollars, and is the best begging bike out there. Not super light weight, but most people's park bikes are about 25 pounds. It will build his strength up also. Has great geo and only bad thing about it is the brake lever, but a good Odyssey monolever is only 20 bucks.

|

12/1/2013 7:49 PM

well, i started on a 20.75 tt bmx when i was like 4-9
anything from 20-20.5 would be ideal, so lemme see what i can find, 20.5 being nice so it is big enough when he grows a bit
as for 20 pounds, you will not get that weight with a 20 inch, as the larger geo equals more weight
25 pounds is a good average
how much are you willing to spend?
the fit series of bikes are nice, most of them are 20-20.5, great quality and very good bang for the buck
if you want to go all out price wise with a fit and still retain 20.5 tt size, check out the fit wifi, it has an aftermarket frame and nice components
fly bikes electron, on sale from 500 to 400 on danscomp, has a 20.2 tt size, which is about as small as you will get on a nice complete http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102223/2013_Fly_Bikes_Electron_Bike.html
kink bikes are also pretty nice, the solace pro is awesome and has a 20. tt http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102318/2014_Kink_Solace_Hamlin_Pro_Bike_(Tony_Hamlin).html
generally, look for a 20-20.5 top tube size, chromoly frame, sealed wheelset
good luck, if you feel teh need to build a custom, that is a whole different ship

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/1/2013 7:50 PM

how tall is he.. that failure is a 20.4 so it might be too big. also its not the best you could get for 300 bucks.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

12/1/2013 7:51 PM

also how good is he.. if hes just riding around a little around the park then he could get away with a 300 buck bike maybe less. but if he is throwing double whips then he is gonna need a better bike( reference towards that edit of the 12 year old park rider)

|

Deviant BMX store

12/1/2013 7:53 PM

OrlandoSteve wrote:

I know it will be $$

Rides park mostly.

biggybuggy wrote:

For him, I would get a failure maniac off dans comp. Only 300 dollars, and is the best begging bike out there. Not super light weight, but most people's park bikes are about 25 pounds. It will build his strength up also. Has great geo and only bad thing about it is the brake lever, but a good Odyssey monolever is only 20 bucks.

ehh, i would get something else than teh failure

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/1/2013 7:55 PM

It's good to ride a heavier bike at a young age if he's got Growing left to do it will build more strength .........but these days everything's light.......I'd look into a volume infantry complete from danscomp or albes or an online mAilorder

|

12/1/2013 8:22 PM

OrlandoSteve wrote:

I know it will be $$

Rides park mostly.

biggybuggy wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

ehh, i would get something else than teh failure

I loved the one I rode. Full chromoly fame too. And on dans it is on sale for about 280.

|

12/1/2013 8:24 PM

$ is not a big issue. Just trying to avoid a full $2,000 custom.
I hear you on building strength but my 24" S&M weighs 24 lbs and I am 6'"2 and 240 lbs.
He is 4' 6" and weighs 70 lbs and he is supposed to do 3's on 25 lbs?

He is fairly good at park for his age and has progressed well on a light bike. Just trying to keep it reasonable as he moves up in size.

Put another way.....if you were 12 and his size....what would you want your dad to get you?

Thanks again.

|

12/1/2013 8:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2013 8:28 PM

4 foot 6? He should stay with 18... maybe a bit longer frame is in order but at that size he would not do as well on a 20 inch.. unless you find a complete with a 19 inch toptube

|

Deviant BMX store

12/1/2013 8:30 PM

honestly, i think what you should do is ask him what HE wants, so he gets exactly what HE wants
have him give you a few options, then run it by us, so he doesnt end up with a p.o.s or something that doesnt fit him well
thats my best idea of what he would want
my parents asked me what i wanted when i got mine, and id hope to do the same if i ever have kids

|

12/1/2013 8:31 PM

When I was 12 I rode a 35 pound huffy .......best thing ever building strength .......25 pounds is ridiculously light don't want your kid growing up to be scrawny

|

12/1/2013 8:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2013 8:37 PM

Just thowing this out there & I know this is a streetland frame but you should look at the wethepeople utopia frame for him, short toptube and chain stay, low standover, great company...lifetime guarantee.

Should be great for park, especially for his height....check it out.

BB Height: 11.8"
BB Type: Mid
Brakes: Removable
Brand: WTP
Colour: Acidised Black
Dropout size: 14mm
Head Tube angle: 75°
Headset type: Integrated
Rear end length: 12.4"
Seat Tube angle: 70.5°
Stand Over Height: 7.75"
Top tube length: 19.5"
Weight: 4.9lbs

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

12/1/2013 8:38 PM

OrlandoSteve wrote:

$ is not a big issue. Just trying to avoid a full $2,000 custom.
I hear you on building strength but my 24" S&M weighs 24 lbs and I am 6'"2 and 240 lbs.
He is 4' 6" and weighs 70 lbs and he is supposed to do 3's on 25 lbs?

He is fairly good at park for his age and has progressed well on a light bike. Just trying to keep it reasonable as he moves up in size.

Put another way.....if you were 12 and his size....what would you want your dad to get you?

Thanks again.

I remember when I went up to 20". I gained muscle like I had never seen. For a 10 year old, I was muscular. But he will grow into it and the best way to help him is work out. Grab some weights and spot him until he can't go any more. Then give him a nice serving of protein while he is dripping with sweat. No muscle milk though. Whey protein and milk.

|

12/2/2013 4:58 AM

I just bought my 10 year old a 2013 WTP Trust, seems to be a great bike. I got it for $500 at a local shop (last one). The 2014's are out, think the trust runs $689, but you can get %15 off with the code right now.

|

12/2/2013 6:21 AM

warrick wrote:

I just bought my 10 year old a 2013 WTP Trust, seems to be a great bike. I got it for $500 at a local shop (last one). The 2014's are out, think the trust runs $689, but you can get %15 off with the code right now.

Here you go. Do what he did.

|

12/2/2013 11:29 AM

What about maybe a Haro 300.2 or something like that my neighbor is 9 and has one of them and hes about that height.

|