best freestyle bike for a 50'' tall 6-year old?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/12/2015 1:20 PM

what should we get him? Freestyle. Sturdy. Light. Dependable. he loves his jumps and balancing. preferably around $300. MUST be blue smile Thanks in advance

|

11/12/2015 1:27 PM

Here's one that has an option for 18.5 in toptube...comes in blue
https://www.danscomp.com/products/102666/2016_Haro_Downtown_Bike.html

|

11/12/2015 1:31 PM

xXZ4KOXx wrote:

Here's one that has an option for 18.5 in toptube...comes in blue
...more

looked at that one 18.5 doesn't have the blue option sad

|

11/12/2015 1:33 PM

what are the most reliable brands?

|

11/12/2015 1:41 PM

Ohh sorry bout that... You might find something at Dicks it's been awhile since I looked but they used to stock DKs and Diamondbacks

|

11/12/2015 1:43 PM

Idk that's hard to say... I've only ever seen good things out of Fit and Eastern tho...

|

11/12/2015 1:53 PM

thank you for your responses smile

|

11/13/2015 12:28 AM

A lot of good companies make good 18" wheel bikes now. I can't remember the colours of them all but united, cult, wethepeople, fit, there's quite a few.
Google 18" wheel bmx and see what comes up.
He's tall for a 6 year old, but will probably still struggle on a 20" at that height (bear in mind, bmx's are supposed to be small). I guess it depends how quick he's growing though!

|

11/13/2015 6:56 AM

I suggest swinging into a local shop and inquiring what brands they carry, as stated above a lot of brands have solid entry level stuff out there.

You said a 5 foot tall SIX YEAR OLD? That is a tall kid!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/13/2015 9:29 AM

he is 50 inches OH MY GOSH, not 60 smile

|

11/13/2015 11:58 AM

16" bikes are available from decent companies too, but they're not as well spec'd as the 18". My son had a cheap 16" when he was 5 and it was fine for him, but he's not that confident on a bike so I didn't need to worry about anything getting damaged. He's outgrown it now though (he's just turned 7) so I'm in the market for a decent second hand 18" for him.

Hahaha, 5' would be massive for a 5 year old!

|

11/13/2015 1:46 PM

IMO, weight is very important for a kid that age. Kids bikes are often heavier than full-size bikes due to cheaper/heavier materials. I would look for the lightest bike that fits properly (without it being a race bike with skinny rims - that won't hold up). They don't make them any more, but I bought my boys 18" aluminum MirraCos a few years ago. I think they were around 17 or 18 pounds. I wouldn't bother with pegs for a six-year-old (they'll probably get hurt with them).

Good luck!

|

11/13/2015 2:58 PM

VitalBrad wrote:

IMO, weight is very important for a kid that age. Kids bikes are often heavier than full-size bikes due to cheaper/heavier ...more

They're always going to be heavier though, as after market parts are expensive and not designed for kids bikes. Cult make an alloy framed 18", but it's no lighter than others on the market. Even the more expensive bikes with full cromo frame and fork aren't really any lighter. And I can't imagine many people will want to upgrade parts enough to make a weight difference on a bike that the kid will outgrow within a couple of years.
In the grand scale of things, the bikes aren't that heavy. It's just that weight is a more important factor to us now. I'm sure my first bmx was probably twice the weight of my current bike, but I just enjoyed it and didn't think about it

|