best rims?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2013 2:03 PM

alright so i'm looking to build up a bike when i get a job ( lol i realize that may be never but any who ) i was wondering what is the best and lightest rim that can handle street really well... and that would also look beastly on the bsd front and back street hubs.

|

6/12/2013 2:10 PM

all rims are within 4 ounces of each other aside from aero rims. just pick a set you like. i recommend ody hazard lites, shadow stuns, primo 7005, and demo zero's. i have rode and loved all of those. havent rode any others so i cant speak on those

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/12/2013 2:27 PM

Primos, cheaper G-sports in my eyes, rode both and theres not much difference.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs

6/12/2013 8:41 PM

I would say a good set of Sun rims, if you can find a big city rim get it. Primo hula hoop would be the strongest or a 7 series primo balance for one that is light as well as strong. If i could pick a rim out of any i would go for the sun rim

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

6/12/2013 9:24 PM

I had a cult match rim, if you're not ever going to use brakes, they are super strong, hardly ever had to true it.

I got the primo balance because i use brakes and they have more surface area and have a flatter wall.... so i got that instead, only like 0.5 or 1 ounce lighter though.

|

6/12/2013 9:56 PM

well i like a Alianaion PBR in the front and a Black Sheep in the rear. it holds up pretty well

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

6/12/2013 11:27 PM

honestly my friend bought the Cult Match rims and they are really good, had them for like 3 months so far, no even out of true almost dead straight and my friend that rides them is a crazy mofo on a bike

|

6/13/2013 11:26 AM

do not get primo 7005 wtf why would anyone recommend this garbage ass rim

if you want rims that will last go with odyssey 7ka's, any of the g-sport rims, alienation runways are nice im rollin on those, the kink rims look nice, sun ryno lites are always a good choice if you want to keep the weight down

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

6/13/2013 11:49 AM

Primo 7005's have got some sweet reviews and i would like a set of them myself. OneEye, i think no one really cares about your opinions anymore. just saying.

|

Bruh

6/13/2013 12:28 PM

Eclat, Odyssey or G-Sport. Don't bother with the Pinned rims Odyssey & Eclat offer. Get any of their welded rims & you're set!

|

6/13/2013 12:31 PM

Zach P-D wrote:

Primo 7005's have got some sweet reviews and i would like a set of them myself. OneEye, i think no one really cares about your opinions anymore. just saying.

i have a cracked one in my basement waiting to be scraped, sweet reviews by people who don't really ride

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

7/18/2017 7:18 AM

This article has a pretty good list of the best BMX wheels.
Link

|

7/18/2017 8:59 AM

jj0996 wrote:

well i like a Alianaion PBR in the front and a Black Sheep in the rear. it holds up pretty well

lol stahp

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/18/2017 9:00 AM

Odyssey hazard lites, 7ka, or Gsport ribcage. Or if you're a real bitch get a birdcage set. However I have destroyed a birdcage

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/23/2017 5:51 PM

I got the sun rhynolite XL on the back and its great for strength to weight ratio

|

Dax in Miami

I ride for:
Reklamation Bikes (Colorado)
London Bikes (Texas)

7/23/2017 6:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2017 6:37 PM

GSPORT, Odyssey (welded seams), Shadow (had a set awhile back held up great), Primo 7005 (if they aren't 7005 aluminum they bend)...

If you can find some Araya RBJ1's are close to GSPORT strength.

Remember, all rims are going to bend and stuff. But, if you know how to true a wheel, replace spokes and most importantly TENSION a wheel. Many unlisted rims will take a ton of abuse. If you don't know how to do what I said above...stick with the ones listed. I rode a GSPORT for 2 weeks missing 6 spokes (only 30 in it then) and I still had zero issues replacing the spokes when they arrived and it was not too out of true.

And I forgot I have had a set of Araya Super 7x 36's that held up for about 18 months with no issues. Not sure you can get then cheaper than this now however.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-RED-SILVER-ARAYA-7X-RIMS-20-X1-75-36-SPOKE-BMX-FREESTYLE-RACING-/292166554997?hash=item44067bd575%3Ag%3AB5cAAOSwnK9ZVFDM&_trkparms=pageci%253A4f468a3e-7010-11e7-ad40-74dbd1802bfa%257Cparentrq%253A723bb15b15d0ac8036189e6afffb6d0f%257Ciid%253A7

|

7/24/2017 3:04 AM

Super 7x's were good in their day. But they suck compared to modern rims.

Seeing as no ones mentioned them, Alienation felon rims are awesome. I've had mine 10 months with zero problems. Very well engineered, they make me wonder why anyone would spend twice the amount of money for G sport or odyssey

|

7/24/2017 6:51 AM

wel.lthen.this.is.unexpected wrote:

alright so i'm looking to build up a bike when i get a job ( lol i realize that may be never but any who ) i was wondering what is the best and lightest rim that can handle street really well... and that would also look beastly on the bsd front and back street hubs.

Probably not the absolute lightest but I've always ran GSPORT Birdcages never had an issue

|

7/24/2017 6:51 AM

I'm surprised no one has pointed out yet, this thread is 4 years old. Wonder if he ever got a job, or a bike? Haha

|

7/24/2017 7:05 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

I bought a Primo 7005 for my rear wheel last year. I ride mostly street about 4-5days a week. the
1. Primo weighed 18+ oz and was advertised at 16something so it's not as light as Danscomp says it is.
2. It held fine but in the end I cased on a curb and bent part of the lip of the rim so bad that it was pulling the tire in and left me with a hop in the tire so it was useless after about 8mos. It might have just been how I cased but in conclusion...
3. I won't buy another one. My light ass proper and Alienation rims have held up to waaay more for a lot longer.
4. I've used the same 7ka on the front for about 3.5 yrs and only had to true it twice. also threw it on the back for awhile.
I have absolute confidence in that rim's strength and would recommend it if it's weight isn't an issue for you.

|

7/24/2017 7:34 AM

I've been running a Primo 7 Series rim on the front for many years and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

I have a GSport Birdcage on the back and the nipples are starting to show signs of pulling through.

Coincidentally I have been thinking of building a new rear wheel anyway and am definitely going to go with another Primo 7 series.

I'm not an engineer but in my experience 7 series alloy is far superior to 6 series.

|

7/24/2017 8:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2017 8:06 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

Sean_Goff wrote:

I bought a Primo 7005 for my rear wheel last year. I ride mostly street about 4-5days a week. the
1. Primo weighed 18+ oz and was advertised at 16something so it's not as light as Danscomp says it is.
2. It held fine but in the end I cased on a curb and bent part of the lip of the rim so bad that it was pulling the tire in and left me with a hop in the tire so it was useless after about 8mos. It might have just been how I cased but in conclusion...
3. I won't buy another one. My light ass proper and Alienation rims have held up to waaay more for a lot longer.
4. I've used the same 7ka on the front for about 3.5 yrs and only had to true it twice. also threw it on the back for awhile.
I have absolute confidence in that rim's strength and would recommend it if it's weight isn't an issue for you.

An easy fix is to take some vice grips, lock them in to the dent, and pull out, then run 80+ psi. No more dent. I've done this with several different rims. Any rim will dent if you case a curb with low psi. I wouldn't blame the rim. Obviously some are stronger than others.

|

7/24/2017 9:44 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

Sean_Goff wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

An easy fix is to take some vice grips, lock them in to the dent, and pull out, then run 80+ psi. No more dent. I've done this with several different rims. Any rim will dent if you case a curb with low psi. I wouldn't blame the rim. Obviously some are stronger than others.

I tried that. It scratched the rim real bad. I'm sure they're not that bad but most rims that weigh that much and are welded will perform the same. I feel they're reliable but not outstanding rims.

|