best wheel build

Related:
Create New Tag

10/14/2014 4:57 PM

Hello everyone I don't come on here often but I need some opinions. I have a 2013 stolen heist. And my back wheel is starting to crap out. Its a sealed unit so I can't take it apart and grease it and whatnot. The manager at my local bmx shop who also rides says the sealed back wheel deal is not the greatest. The cassette is also integrated meaning the spring and paws are o
Inside the hub. I am soon going to have him build me a new wheel and I don't know what is a good part. (I've recently started to ride only a year ago) to remind you I ride with brakes but I'd like to hear what your guys thoughts are on this subject. Thanks again

|

10/14/2014 6:53 PM

I highly suggest learning how to lace wheels
I've made somewhere in the ballpark of 200$ lacing wheels for people at 10-20$ a wheel rather than 50$ that the shop charges. Arsenalfalcon has a great easy to follow tutorial. For a wheel, the bsd pro hub is nice, as is any hub with primo mix internals (cult match, new stranger cassette) or a gsport ratchet/odyssey antigram (oneeye broke his but it seems as if he fucks up everything he rides). Rims that are 7000 series aluminum are a great choice, namely the gsport series of rims.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

10/15/2014 10:33 AM

You most certainly can grease sealed bearings, infact it is easier than unsealed (they dont fall out and get lost very easily.) Also, any 9-11t hub will have the pawls/springs/ratchet ring inside of the hub. Its really simple to work on, loosen the driver locknut and slide the driver out.

If your shop is recommending you an unsealed hub over a sealed hub, i recommend you find a new shop to start going to. He obviously doesnt know what he is talking about.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/16/2014 12:40 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

You most certainly can grease sealed bearings, infact it is easier than unsealed (they dont fall out and get lost very ...more

^^^^ This

Find a new shop, that guy is no mechanic

|

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start, to be great...

10/16/2014 10:44 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

You most certainly can grease sealed bearings, infact it is easier than unsealed (they dont fall out and get lost very ...more

this

but I have a feeling that the guy may have just been saying his wheel may not be the greatest with an ehh sealed hub

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

10/18/2014 3:35 PM

I just want to know what parts that you suggest are good for making a complete wheel. That's what I was trying to get at. Sorry for confusion

|

10/18/2014 6:59 PM

Gsport to gsport best warranty

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551