big pile of questions, two years later... (repost from how to)

Related:
Create New Tag

10/5/2021 7:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2021 7:52 AM

Repost from the How-To subforum at the recommendation of another user. I went ahead and deleted the other post:

Hello again, crew! I showed up here about two years ago after jumping back into BMX as a (not so) "old guy" and I've been riding on and off since then. Still not many tricks under my belt but I've progressed quite a lot and I'm more comfortable on my bikes now. I've got a couple questions here, so rather than start multiple threads, I thought I'd just lump them together.

1. I need frame recommendations for a 20" wheelbase.

I have a 2019 FIT PRK and it just feels super short to me. I also don't have any bike shops around to try stuff out on. Here's my requirements for a new frame:

- Fully chromoly
- Larger than the PRK. Maybe a 21" top tube and 13.25 or so chain stays? Something longer.
- Rear brake mounts
- Less than $400
- Currently available
- Indifferent on color
- I'm 6'2, 170lbs for size reference

I ride at the local ramp/slopestyle spot, pump track, skateparks, and streets. Would love to do trails if I ever find any so I need a "do it all" bike. I don't throw bars or do whips or anything too wild like that. I just jump stuff, do 180s, manuals, simple grinds, that kinda thing.

On this smaller bike, I've about killed myself coming off of ramps wrong and doing manuals. I'm surprised my tailbone is still intact. Hoping that a longer frame will make jumping more comfortable as the bulk of my riding is hill bombs and jumps.

I'll also be dropping the gyro. I plan to move my parts over from the PRK so I'll probably have to buy a headset, brakes, and a couple other parts as well. Open to recommendations there. I don't have the courage to go brakeless.

I did find a good price on a WTP revolver (frame only) but I've not found any reviews on that frame.

2. Weird "slip" on my big cruiser

I've also got a 2019 WTP Avenger (total coincidence that these bikes are the same year). It's a fun 26"er. I recently gave it a once over and tuned it all up but now I've got a strange "slip", for lack of better words, in my drive train. When I pedal, it's like it skips forward juuuuuust a tiny bit before the drive train engages. I don't think I'm skipping over teeth or anything, it just has to almost fall into place. I'm not sure if that's making any sense or not.

Also occasionally if I pedal real hard or come off a drop around 2-3ft tall, either the bottom bracket or the rear of the bike will make this weird bonk/clang sound that'll resonate through the rear spokes. The rear wheel is in true and the chainline is all the same. The rear wheel doesn't seem to be shifting forward any and the bike feels fine after the noise but I have no idea what that sound is.

The crank set feels pretty cheap to me and I'm not sure how else to describe it. I know even the frame isn't full chromoly. Any suggestions for a replacement crank? These BMX cruisers seem to have a lot of parts that are hard for me to source.

I figured those issues might be related. Thoughts?

3. Big cruiser setup questions

A little more on the big cruiser: the frame is pretty mellow and just hard to jump; it has that curved top tube like a beach cruiser. Is there anything I can do to make it easier to get it off the ground? Adjust the bars maybe, change up the cranks (as previously mentioned), etc.? Should I just get another big bike with better materials/dimensions? I got this one because it was the only 26" or 29" cruiser I could find in my area but I might look online.

I use this thing to bomb around town and I really like to jump it off of things so if I get a replacement, that'll be the plan for it. No tricks, just speed, comfort, and mild air.

Thanks a ton in advance, folks! I hope you all have been safe and shredding hard over the last two years!

|

10/5/2021 8:43 AM

1. Try something with a 21.25tt and 13.5ish chainstays. There's a few, so shop around. My vote would be an s&m atf second hand. Very nice middle of the road geometry

2. Sounds like a worn driver/chain to me. Sometimes it isn't visible, but it the teeth are pointy, the driver is worn. If the teeth look ok, get a new chain. If it works but makes a horrible noise, the driver is worn too.
Unless it's a freewheel, then it might just need a new freewheel.
The other noise sounds like it could be loose cranks, not loose enough to rock constantly, but enough to make a crack sound when you land hard. Although it could also be pretty much anything on the bike being ever so slightly not torqued properly

3. Honestly, cruisers and bigger wheeled bikes aren't really designed for getting off the ground. They naturally have a longer wheelbase, and the geometry is often designed around stability. Personally, I'd keep it for cruising, and keep the 20" for everything else

|

10/5/2021 8:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2021 8:58 AM

Try the Sunday Darkwave. It's a little pricey, but in 21" it should fit your needs. Also, the Kink Cloud will work for you, and it's $250 on SkatePro. Prob the best frame for that price in existence.

|

10/5/2021 10:59 AM

Thanks for the info and recommendations, folks! I'll look those frames up.

|

10/5/2021 2:33 PM

I also found a fair deal nearby on a cult hawk 21.25" frame but the cult website says it's made of "cult classic tubing", which screams "not chromoly" to me, especially given that it's under $300. I've not found any reviews on that one either. Is it any good?

The S&M and the Darkwave are looking pretty good at the moment.

|

10/5/2021 3:06 PM

granggg wrote:

I also found a fair deal nearby on a cult hawk 21.25" frame but the cult website says it's made of "cult classic tubing", ...more

Hi!
if you want to be able to ride trail and have a stable park/street ride the hawk looks the best to me with a used atf.
They have fairly long backends and 11'8 and 11'7 bb height wich should give them some pop and make them pretty easy to spin on park and street.

I don't even like cult so much as a brand but the geo of the hawk frame in 21'25 would suit your plans, i believe.

As far as the metal used it has to be chromoly. I can't see cult selling a hi-ten hawk frame.
A question we wouldn't ask about an s&m frame btw.

Enjoy you shopping! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

|

10/5/2021 3:57 PM

tang-po wrote:

Hi!
if you want to be able to ride trail and have a stable park/street ride the hawk looks the best to me with a used atf.
...more

i was just worried about the metal given the description. it's kind of how i ended up with the PRK. it said the top tube and down tube were chromoly but it turns out the rest of it is likely hi-ten. I might just wait a couple weeks and try to get a new S&M". Empire looks to have the 21.25 in stock.

|

10/5/2021 8:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2021 8:27 PM

granggg wrote:

I also found a fair deal nearby on a cult hawk 21.25" frame but the cult website says it's made of "cult classic tubing", ...more

Cult classic tubing is just what they call their 4130 blend, if I recall. It's not high ten.

|

10/5/2021 8:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2021 8:32 PM

Well that certainly makes the hawk frame more attractive since it's about half the cost of the s&m at this point but the paint and such on it is not my style. Guess I could give it the krylon touch?

I'll have to think on whether or not I want to save a bit longer and go with the s&m or grab the cult sooner rather than later. The PRK will do for now, I just gotta watch my landings with that rear end as short as it feels.

Thanks again for the help, folks!

|

10/6/2021 12:01 AM

Yeah the hawk is chromoly, that classic tubing thing is just marketing schpiel to make it sound fancy

|

10/6/2021 8:48 AM

granggg wrote:

Well that certainly makes the hawk frame more attractive since it's about half the cost of the s&m at this point but the ...more

Honestly, consider a 21.25 size frame at your height. I'm 5'11 with monkey arms and have been riding 21" but just built a 21.25 Darkwave. I got a 2mm shorter stem for it, taller bars, and it really doesn't feel much different.

|