bike shop scams

Related:
Create New Tag

1/3/2019 10:32 PM

Firstly: I will start off by saying this is an old topic but i don't feel like bumping the thread so here we are.
I went to the competition for my favorite local shop (we have 2 shops like a block apart) since they didn't have the grips i wanted. total came out to about $11 and they wanted to charge me an extra $10 to put on grips. Like why is it the cost of another pair of grips to put grips on. I'm having trouble understanding why.

|

smile

1/3/2019 10:35 PM

razor blade cut old ones off then slide on new ones with some rubbing alcohol and youre done lol

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

1/3/2019 11:00 PM

Purely because they can. Labour is charged by time taken, and knowledge. It's the reason bike shops make so much of their income from replacing tubes etc. If you don't know how to, or can't be bothered to do something yourself, why would someone else do it for free?

|

1/4/2019 1:41 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Purely because they can. Labour is charged by time taken, and knowledge. It's the reason bike shops make so much of their income from replacing tubes etc. If you don't know how to, or can't be bothered to do something yourself, why would someone else do it for free?

This. And tbh $10 is not that much nowadays for any kind of service an actual human gives you.

|

1/4/2019 2:34 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Rabbe wrote:

This. And tbh $10 is not that much nowadays for any kind of service an actual human gives you.

This this

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

1/4/2019 2:35 AM

How much do you pay to have your litty pasta cooked?

|

1/4/2019 3:34 AM

I've gotten my lbs owner to air my tires up a couple times but my friend sold him weed

|

1/4/2019 3:40 AM

Not really a scam laughing
A scam would be if they'd only sold you the grips with the installation included, totaling 21$

Yeah, the price is steep for something that you can do in less than 2 minutes and some rubbing alcohol, but they are not forcing you to take the deal.

|

1/4/2019 4:59 AM

I'd also like to point out the shop makes barely anything from selling the odd pair of grips. Labour charges are what keep bike shops open.

|

1/4/2019 5:03 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

What the fuck is litty pasta? I keep asking and nobody answers.... lmao

|

1/4/2019 5:26 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Because nobody knows except that guy

|

1/4/2019 5:48 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

Whoa...mind fucked. Is litty pasta like weed infused pasta? Like...it's pasta...but it's lit?

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

1/4/2019 6:10 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Whoa...mind fucked. Is litty pasta like weed infused pasta? Like...it's pasta...but it's lit?

It's short for "Littucine", which is a less known cousin of the famous "Fettucine"-pasta. Not as tasty as fettucine but especially young people like it.

laughing
Yes, I'm as clueless as you guys.

|

1/4/2019 6:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2019 6:21 AM

Yeah convenience is pricey these these days I agree. If I buy a chocolate bar from the service station it's about 35-40% more expensive than the supermarket. But $10 USD for grip installation is bordering on excessive in my opinion. MAYBE fair if you bought the grips elsewhere and wanted them put on.

|

1/4/2019 6:23 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Rabbe wrote:

It's short for "Littucine", which is a less known cousin of the famous "Fettucine"-pasta. Not as tasty as fettucine but especially young people like it.

laughing
Yes, I'm as clueless as you guys.

Wow... who knew I would learn about pasta; let alone geographical and generational vernacular on a BMX site. lol

|

1/4/2019 6:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2019 6:36 AM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Firstly: I will start off by saying this is an old topic but i don't feel like bumping the thread so here we are.
I went to the competition for my favorite local shop (we have 2 shops like a block apart) since they didn't have the grips i wanted. total came out to about $11 and they wanted to charge me an extra $10 to put on grips. Like why is it the cost of another pair of grips to put grips on. I'm having trouble understanding why.

Dude...That's how brick and mortar stores survive these days. Replacing tubes, grips, tune-ups, tires, and freshening up people's bikes that have no idea how to do it themselves

You don't get your car fixed for just the cost of parts. This is goods and services, aka commerce. Like Steve said, you pay a plumber, electrician, mason, doctor, lawyer etc for their expertise because you either don't know how or don't want to.

$10 is a lot to install grips, but so is $20 to replace a tube that takes 10 minutes. This is exactly why people who know how to work on their bikes say you should know how to work on your bike.

Also, don't be surprised when you hear stories of bike shops/scams where mechanics are purposely not fixing the problem so that the customer returns.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/4/2019 6:37 AM

just pay the fucking bike shop

|

It’s all bmx

1/4/2019 6:40 AM

You pay for the "expertise/knowledge", "skills" and tools of the person who does it. Like what was said previously, shops make make most of their money in labor. Plus, as a former shop mechanic, sometimes it is a HUGE pain to get grips off bars...especially old ones that have essentially glued themselves on, or on freshly painted bars that the paint glues the grip on.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/4/2019 7:31 AM

Expertise and knowledge are no match for a box cutter and the zip tie method.

|

1/4/2019 7:32 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Or wd40 is even faster than zip ties

|

Hmmm

1/4/2019 7:44 AM

Edman123 wrote:

That doesn't matter if you still gotta wait for them to dry. Zip tie method just pops em on and you forget about it

|

1/4/2019 8:11 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

That doesn't matter if you still gotta wait for them to dry. Zip tie method just pops em on and you forget about it

WD40 is nearly instantaneous

|

1/4/2019 8:15 AM

Just muscle that shit on.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/4/2019 8:20 AM

Dude, compressed air is the way to go.

|

1/4/2019 8:24 AM

If you can’t handle putting grips on yourself you deserve to pay the 11 bucks for labour

|

1/4/2019 8:27 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

Dude, compressed air is the way to go.

pretty much. grips on in 2 seconds ready to ride !

|

It’s all bmx

1/4/2019 9:24 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

It’s pasta that is litty

|

smile

1/4/2019 9:29 AM

10 bucks to blow a pair of grips on with an air compressor sounds kind of ridiculous to me. My shop does not charge for that.

|

1/4/2019 10:14 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

It’s pasta that is litty

What is litty?

|

1/4/2019 10:34 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

What is litty?

Pasta, apparently...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson