bike weight

Related:
Create New Tag

10/13/2020 10:23 PM

Does general frame/fork weight really matter. I know that wheel weight does effect shit like spins, but would adding a 4th peg to my already 26.5 lbs bike make that much of a difference. I weigh 155 btw and currently don't have any trouble hopping over two feet or doing hop 3's

|

10/13/2020 11:20 PM

My bike weighs 37 pounds and it’s fine

|

10/14/2020 12:29 AM

You probably won't feel a difference at all. My bike's been between the 24 and 25 mark for years now. You get used to what you ride the more you ride it.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/14/2020 1:16 AM

No lol geometry matters more for tricks than weight does

|

smile

10/14/2020 5:34 AM

be happy you didn't ride in the 90's

i bought the beefiest things growing up, bike was probably above 35lbs as a 5'5 150-160lb rider

bikes these days are so much lighter and the focus on geometry makes them a lot easier to handle now

|

10/14/2020 10:31 AM

younggotti wrote:

i bought the beefiest things growing up, bike was probably above 35lbs as a 5'5 ...more

wow you were a stocky mf I was probably 110-115 at 5’5 i’m 165 now and i’m 6’0

|

10/14/2020 10:37 AM

younggotti wrote:

i bought the beefiest things growing up, bike was probably above 35lbs as a 5'5 ...more

2702smth wrote:

wow you were a stocky mf I was probably 110-115 at 5’5 i’m 165 now and i’m 6’0

Oh yeah I was a little fat kid...20 years later and I'm 5'5 140lbs haha

|

10/14/2020 10:51 AM

people killed it on 40lb bikes. you'll be ok

|

It’s all bmx

10/14/2020 11:36 AM

28 pounds.

if i take off my pegs and guards the bike drops to almost 25lbs... the only time I notice the 3-ish pounds difference is when putting it in the truck.

|

10/14/2020 8:30 PM

I started riding in the 90s and just recently came back to it a couple years ago. Even the heaviest bikes now seem light in comparison. But...the geometry now is MUCH more responsive. I notice geo changes to my frame/bars/forks much more that I do weight changes. I am riding S&M Fubars now and they are probably one of the heaviest bars out there...but the feel great and I don’t feel limited at all.

|

10/15/2020 7:58 AM

I notice the weight when i have pegs on. Bars and whips come around a lot slower. Frame/fork/cranks/pedals/stem etc weight I've never really noticed. Mostly just weight in things that spin like wheels.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/15/2020 8:41 AM

My bike is around 29 pounds with 2 plastic pegs. I can do hop 3s pretty easily and am really comfortable on it. The only difference you may feel is your rotational mass with an extra peg, but it's really no big deal. You're saying "already 26.5lb bike", but that is pretty damn light. You got a lotta wiggle room.

|

grr pow imma skip town

10/15/2020 9:46 AM

For as much as I don’t remember anyone ever talking much about the weight of their bikes back in the day, I also can say in total honesty that aside from flatland... dudes are riding waaay harder now than they ever were.

We used to ditch our chain guards, our pads, and add pegs if a bike didn’t come with them. Our bikes were heavy by today’s standards.

Still, there weren’t high school aged kids doing flips at the local park back then either, and I am thinking the younger crowd may just know a thing or two that us old guys don’t about setting up a bike.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/15/2020 10:40 AM

You bring up a really good point. There are older riders like myself who comment on this forum and provide feedback based on their experience...but this in no way trumps the experience gained by younger riders. Young or old, I will consider any piece of feedback or advice so long as it makes sense (and this poster isn’t an arrogant douche).

I will say I would not notice a weight difference as I don’t ride park (none around me) and I don’t really have an interest in it. I love riding dirt and street...but specifically street is a lot more technical than when I was much younger. Regarding weight, I definitely feel the responsiveness of lighter wheels when I spin, while heavier tires, rims, pegs, etc feels more sluggish.

|