bikes and fires.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/31/2014 3:01 PM

so about 2 weeks ago my jeep wrangler somehow caught fire and was engulfed in flames in a parking lot at a mall. my bike was inside of it. no visible damage except for soot/smoke that i was able to get off with a Clorox wipe and some elbow grease. but after riding it the other day and today for the first time since then. everything seems to be creaking bad.

you guys think that the heat of the fire could have caused something to happen to the strength of the frame/bearings.

pic of my jeep.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"Forget 'today', 'today' is just tomorrow, disguised as yesterday"
TRANSPORTATION CHECK
Refs: ThrowAfit, 2funny4u, ridebmx456, spikez5, irideafly and a bunch of others, I'M LEGIT.
email= element4all@yahoo.com
facebook.
Instagram

3/31/2014 3:04 PM

Woooaaaah. That is crazy! Any idea how it happened? I think it could definitely affect stuff like the headset. Have you greased it up yet?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/31/2014 3:22 PM

holy shit that's nuts. But yeah the fire could definitely have done damage to your bearings, especially considering they have rubber seals on them that will easily melt & get jammed into the bearings. Also since the grease/lube in them can be highly flammable & cause damage.

You might just want to replace every bearing, but you can always try to fix them up by taking them apart & checking for any pieces of melted rubber jammed in them, and also any damages to the ball bearings, grease them up then try riding it

|

3/31/2014 3:50 PM

Damn thats crazy! Like said abovr it most likely fucked all your bearings and chain, probably bolts depending on how hot they got

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/31/2014 4:55 PM

Check all the bearings, make sure the seals are still okay. Grease the fuck out of everything, lube the chain, etc etc

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

3/31/2014 5:52 PM

lol the fuck how the hell did it just catch on fire

|

"Of course theyre compatible theyre cranks"

4/1/2014 2:41 AM

shit bro! that shit sucks arse. And it could of done SERIOUS damage to your bike, depending how hot it was (i have NO idea if cars on fire get hot enough) but it could of fucked up any heat treating to anyparts, making them extra brittle, but iuunno....

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

4/1/2014 6:19 AM

SUCKS MAN! It could yeah.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/1/2014 6:57 AM

I doubt it would hurt the frame... If anything it should theoretically add strength.
Beyond that I would check and make sure nothing's warped and as has already been said I would replace the bearings.
But damn that sucks.
Just a good thing you weren't in it!

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

4/1/2014 10:37 AM

DIY heat treating

|

4/1/2014 11:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2014 11:10 AM

The heat could have tempered with the materials of your bike which could severely weaken it but I feel it would have taken your paint off and visually effected it before doing so. Chances are the heat evaporated all the grease/lube on your bike and left soot in its place. THOROUGHLY THOROUGHLY THOROUGHLY clean out all bearings, chain, hubs, spindle/cranks, frame's bearing races, threads, etc. and regrease/lube them. If the rubber seals melted into the bearing look into buying new ones, theyre pretty cheap usually.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/1/2014 11:13 AM

Burned off the grease probably.

Pull it apart and regrease it.

Double check everything tension-wise.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/1/2014 6:16 PM

your tires were still straight? if they weren't even damaged i doubt anything else is.

|

Refs: 360Xuprider, Hatebreeder, MrHavoc1988

Email: Shanebaker6969@yahoo.com

!!!My Bike Check!!!

4/1/2014 9:21 PM

Icant180 wrote:

your tires were still straight? if they weren't even damaged i doubt anything else is.

Youre stupid.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

4/2/2014 11:35 AM

Icant180 wrote:

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

Youre stupid.

why?The tires blow up when they get high tempratures due to the air having more pression.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/2/2014 3:30 PM

This happened to a mate of mine who left his spot lights on during the day, not sure if that's what caused it for you but the damage looks pretty similar.

|