bmx cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2013 10:46 AM

Hey guys,i need help with choosing cranks.i was looking for cranks when i noticed there are spindles and all that.i don't know what they are and i need help.i just started bmx so of course i don't know.what is a spindle spline and what's the difference between the numbers they have?(for example 48 spindle splines)i have a 8s stock rant crank and is it possible to upgrade to a profile lite gdh cranks? Also what's a spindle bolt and a spindle? Whats the difference between a 19mm spindle and another size one?please help thanks.

|

9/21/2013 11:03 AM

Spindles are the middle part of your cranks that go through to bottom bracket. 48 spline is just how the the crank arms lock on to each other. 19mm is one of the most common, it is the diameter of the spindle, they also come in 22mm and Fit has 24mm cranks.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/21/2013 11:04 AM

And yes you should be able to upgrade.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/21/2013 11:05 AM

you could get the profile cranks but you would need the whole set like spindle and everything. 8 spine is stock crap 19mm and 22mm? idk ones bigger than the other lol spindle bolts just hold the cranks together..

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

9/21/2013 11:14 AM

Thanks guys.helped a lot

|

9/21/2013 11:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2013 11:23 AM

Photo
The spindle is what the cranks hold/clamp on to. It spins..

The splines are kinda like little teeth for the cranks to hold to. Cranks are also splined on the inside for that specific spindle. Some spindles have 48 (teeth) others less.. like 16 splines for example.

Spindle bolts screw into the spindle itself, after the cranks are installed. They're just bolts.. they keep your stuff tight.

Photo

Here is a pic of two different sized spindles. They're measured in circumference. 19mm would be the smaller (skinnier) compared to a heftier 22mm spindle.(19 and 22 are the most common sizes) When buying a new crank set, you have to take into consideration the size of your bottom bracket bearings. The bottom bracket is the part of your frame that holds the bearings.. which hold your spindle.. which hold your cranks.

So if you happen to buy a 22mm crank set then you would need bearings which are also 22mm to accommodate that 22mm spindle.
|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting