bmx parts database?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/3/2021 11:15 AM

I know of Bmx Museum but they show only bikes and not parts of. Is there not a site like this? I never get why companies don't have an area of their site to showcase parts they produced in the past. I know a lot of companies have and still do made catalogs, so uploading them at the very least would mean little work on their end.

|

REF: HELLOMYNAMEISRAD, CKY99, skribblez32

5/3/2021 12:48 PM

You can use the wayback machine to browse danscomp throughout the years. Works for any sites that someone made an effort to archive on there

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

5/3/2021 1:14 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

You can use the wayback machine to browse danscomp throughout the years. Works for any sites that someone made an effort to ...more

I think it would be something that a lot of riders could get use out of. I've been thinking of reaching out companies for help too. It's a mere thought right now, but I think this may be a site I work on to help me learn more into web development and could be useful to the bmx community. I'm thinking parts and frames circa 2000 to present, because while Bmx Museum has a bike section, a lot of the times, just basic info is present.

I'd like to see a more detailed listing of specs. Like you could search a part or a frame and see what has changed, if say it's been through three versions or whatever. A lot of research ahead.

|

5/3/2021 1:22 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

You can use the wayback machine to browse danscomp throughout the years. Works for any sites that someone made an effort to ...more

RAD_84 wrote:

I think it would be something that a lot of riders could get use out of. I've been thinking of reaching out companies for help ...more

Honestly I really like that idea. It would be very helpful. I know I’d be using it on a weekly basis

|

5/3/2021 3:15 PM

This is actually a really good idea. I had started a crank DB last year while I was waiting for a flight. I was in the market for cranks and wanted to look at all of the different dimensions before making a purchase. Some of the fields I included was:

Brand
Pro Signature
Product Name
Material
Lengths Available
Colorways
Weight
Spline/bolt drive
Spindle interface (48 spline, 8 spline, etc.)
LHD/RHD
MSRP
BB Included

I deleted it at the end of last year when ai cleaned my desktop. Would be totally down to help develop something like this though

|

5/3/2021 3:25 PM

When I had first done the crank database I was thinking that you could basically expand it into other component files and then tie it all together into a bike builder. This way, someone could select which parts they have or are thinking of buying and then get recommendations for components that would be the best fit. given their setup. Would also provide recommendations for chain length and # of spacers in the headset/BB.

You could actually transform an app like this into a revenue generating app by having bike companies/distributors advertise and provide component availability/pricing as someone builds their bike.

|

5/3/2021 3:27 PM

Right on! Def will be open for any help.

|

5/3/2021 3:33 PM

I’ll see if I can recreate the crank DB/spreadsheet and post tonight. I am on my laptop with work really late anyway.

|

5/3/2021 3:38 PM

https://www.vitalbmx.com/product/main

check include discontinued, and sort by however you want.

Doesn't have every part obviously, but it's the closest thing to what you're describing. There's some really neat old gems in there if you dig deep enough. I know it goes back to at least the mid 2000s.

|

5/3/2021 5:05 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Doesn't have every part ...more

Exactly where my mind went seeing this thread. My habitual part-Googling has brought me back to Vital so many times, there's a lot of history in these pages.

|

I get big airs off small things

5/3/2021 5:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/3/2021 5:50 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Doesn't have every part ...more

Def be using it as a resource. Thanks ...on second thought maybe I'll reach out to who runs the site and see if I could add some new features like more options to search from ect to that section? I'm just wanting to help the past not be forgotten. Also I know it's not always good or bad, but still.

|

5/3/2021 5:54 PM

Bmxmuseum does have a reference section but it’s up to users to add stuff to it

Also, has anyone noticed that so many companies and websites don’t list the weight of products anymore?

|

5/3/2021 6:00 PM

cky199 wrote:

Bmxmuseum does have a reference section but it’s up to users to add stuff to it

Also, has anyone noticed that so many ...more

Yeah I noticed that...I had looked up certain products and the weights were not mentioned...I mean I know it's not always that needed, but still if you have two products and one is meant to be a lighter one and you don't include the weight...like wtf?

|

5/3/2021 7:03 PM

Some brands appear to be taking measurements and publishing their specs much more seriously than others.

I was just updating that crank spreadsheet and noticed that weights are somewhat easier to find now, especially if you look at EU websites. Weights typically appear here for customs/shipping purposes.

It is really irritating when a company does not publish full spec information yet substitutes smart-ass comments in their product description instead ( cult, primo, stranger are big offenders). Based on the amount of money they charge for parts it just seems disrespectful to the customer to not be transparent about information that could EASILY be provided in order to make an informed decision.

|

5/3/2021 8:45 PM

I used a table like this when I wanted a clear picture of all of the cranks on the market. I am somewhat skeptical of the weights, but used it as a tool to develop my shortlist of current crank candidates. After I weeded out the cranks that failed to meet the "spec" I was looking for, I just picked the ones that I thought looked the best.

Photo

|

5/6/2021 6:15 PM

So, I forgot the Wayback machine is a cool tool, but forgot how they don't save entire sites, which to be honest didn't expect them to. Not getting much results with them. I may see about searching around for scans of Danscomp from 2000s until when they stopped making the catalog. Also if anyone happens to have any catalogs of any bmx co that produced frames and or parts from 2000 - that would help a ton.

|

5/6/2021 8:05 PM

vagabond wrote:

Some brands appear to be taking measurements and publishing their specs much more seriously than others.

I was just updating ...more

Holy shit this

Was looking on primo’s website at the freemix’s (was considering buying one cuz a huge sale) and they just didn’t fucking say what the axle size was (14mm axle with 3/8ths bolts for the female hub, which I had to figure out by looking at fucking pictures)

It’s so ridiculous.

|

5/6/2021 8:15 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Holy shit this

Was looking on primo’s website at the freemix’s (was considering buying one cuz a huge sale) and they just ...more

It’s funny you bring up the Freemix. That is what got me really thinking more about the overall poor spec information a couple years ago. Whether male or female, 14mm is a pretty standard expectation now (bolt/axle) for a rear hub. I’d be pissed if I just assumed it was a 14mm and got a 3/8. I see the Freemix is on sale starting at $93 which is pretty inexpensive as far as Freecoasters go; however, it’s still too much money to not publish adequate information so the consumer can be more informed.

|