bottom brackets

Related:
Create New Tag

4/29/2013 2:58 PM

i dont have a sealed BB so i want to get a new one. i have an american one, do i need to get another american one or can i just get a mid or something else? also, would i need new cranks? and what brand BB do u guys recommend?

|

4/29/2013 3:01 PM

What frame do you have? and what size spindle does you cranks have?

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

4/29/2013 3:24 PM

i have a kink frame and 19mm spindle

|

4/29/2013 3:37 PM

what kink frame? lol

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

4/29/2013 3:41 PM

curb 2013

|

4/29/2013 3:44 PM

generally with unselaed bb, you need a new spindle to run a sealed bb

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

4/29/2013 3:46 PM

hi-ten steel, sadly lol

|

4/29/2013 3:47 PM

tomdon wrote:

generally with unselaed bb, you need a new spindle to run a sealed bb

why is that?? lol

|

4/29/2013 3:50 PM

because a spindle for an unsealed bb is 15/16 and threaded for the bearing cones. a sealed bb has a 19mm or 22mm spindle and because yours is american you will need the american bb and a 19mm 8 spline spindle.

|

4/29/2013 4:03 PM

yeah i already got that dog

|

4/29/2013 4:18 PM

but which brand should i get and does it have to be american?

|

4/29/2013 4:25 PM

You will need this in the American option. And this in the Spindle Only option.

Reason being, your old bottom bracket & crank are shit and your frame's BB size is American.

The bottom bracket I listed includes the cups and bearings you need, as well as plenty of spacers. The spindle I listed is to replace your current spindle because the one you have now has threads and shit on it and won't fit in the new BB.

To install, first you must remove the old shit. To get the old bearings out, loosen the cranks by loosening the pinch bolts first, then the main bolts and slide the left arm off. Keep the right arm on for now, it'll make it easier to get the BB out. Remove any spacers then loosen the nuts on the spindle, I think they're reverse threaded.. been awhile since I messed with an unsealed BB. get them completely off the spindle then it should all just pull out from the right side. Get the sprocket off the spindle by loosening the nut against it, also reverse threaded but can't remember for sure. Then get the arm off the same way you got the left arm off.

Now pull the bearings out of the cups that are currently in the frame and set them aside. To get the cups out, use a chisel or something with a flat edge (thicker flat head screwdrivers can work) and put it in from the left side with the flat edge resting against the cup's edge on the right side inside the BB shell. Tap the screwdriver with a hammer working your way around the whole thing evenly until it pops out, do this for the other side as well. Clean it all out with a rag or something before you start the next process.

To get them in, first tap the cups in using a block of wood. push the cups in as much as you can with your hands, then rest a piece of wood against the cup and tap them in with the hammer until they're pressed in fully. do the same with the bearings, but make sure you put the internal spacer in there with it that comes with the BB. Once they're fully pressed in, start on the cranks.

Do the right side first, put the right arm on either side with the main bolt tightened in (not all the way though yet) then slide your sprocket on. You'll probably need an adapter though, like this one in the 15/16" to 19mm option. Double check though, I have no idea what size sprocket bore yours is without measuring it and it's been awhile since I have seen one apart so idk.

Anyway, with that sprocket spacer in the sprocket, make sure the bigger side is facing away from the crank, then add the cone spacer for the right side (the smaller one) you may or may not need the smaller ring spacers, not sure yet. Then slide the spindle through the BB, making sure the internal spacer in the BB slides over the spindle as it goes in. You might have to lightly tap it to go in, that's normal. Now you should have the left side of the spindle sticking out, add the larger of the cone spacers to the spindle, then slide the left arm on. if the spindle sticks out through the arm, add a few ring spacers.

Tighten both main bolts evenly so the arms both have about the same amount of grab on the spindle. Don't over tighten them though, just enough to snug it up, the pinch bolts will take any wobble away once you tighten them up, so go ahead and tighten them up as well night and tight.. But before you go and ride it, spin the cranks around by hand just to make sure the arms don't hit your chainstays and that everything feels okay. If it's good to go, put your chain back on the sprocket and ride it!

|

4/29/2013 4:37 PM

yo thanks a lot bro, u helped a lot. but i was gana get profile BB

|

4/29/2013 4:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2013 4:59 PM

u helped a lot

|

4/29/2013 4:57 PM

Fabio_Silva wrote:

u helped a lot

I THINK 15/16" to 19mm. Wait for someone else to chime in and verify that, like I said it's been awhile since I've worked with the unsealed BB/Crank system so idk for sure.

And a Profile BB would work, as long as you chose the 19mm/American option. The one I posted was a bit cheaper though which is why I picked that

|

4/29/2013 5:03 PM

Fabio_Silva wrote:

u helped a lot

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I THINK 15/16" to 19mm. Wait for someone else to chime in and verify that, like I said it's been awhile since I've worked with the unsealed BB/Crank system so idk for sure.

And a Profile BB would work, as long as you chose the 19mm/American option. The one I posted was a bit cheaper though which is why I picked that

yeah its 15/16 to 19mm. but last i knew kink used a paper thin 19mm bore sprocket on the low end completes

|

4/29/2013 5:08 PM

just get a real frame jk wink no but make sure you install your stuff like sundaybmxrr explained and you will be good

|

Save a tree

Ride a Bike...... I am an environmentalist jk hahaha

BIKE CHECK: http://www.vitalbmx.com/community/WallmartBMX,103987/setup,83842

WATCH MY NEW EDIT IM SO PROUD OF IT!!

4/29/2013 5:31 PM

Fabio_Silva wrote:

u helped a lot

sundaybmxRR wrote:

https://www.danscomp.com/products/456007/Profile_BMX_BB_Kit.html its an american/mid does it matter? and is redline still good?

|

4/29/2013 5:33 PM

redline bb is legit. and american/mid is fine. american is just mid bearings with cups

|

4/29/2013 5:34 PM

yeah i will get redline, cheaper

|

4/29/2013 5:42 PM

have any of u guys ever used the stolen joint tires?

|

4/29/2013 5:47 PM

u can get a chromoly mission 8 spline spindle for 11 bucks or the stolen one. And a sealed american bb of dans, must be american for that frame

|