box jump building (DONE!!!! and pic heavy)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2014 7:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2014 6:38 PM

csb and all, but I'm stoked as fuck to get this completed. I started the other day on the box frame, and today my dad & I got the pieces for the landing cut up, so right now I just need to complete the landing by screwing the 2x4s into the plywood sides then screw it into the box frame. After that I'll start on the lip/take off point, then lay the plywood down.

I'll be updating this thread as things go, and if anyone's interested in the dimensions and whatnot, I'll include them as best I can so if someone else wants to make the same thing. Basically I followed the plans for a funbox from the DIYskate site, but bumped it up to 2 & a half feet tall, 5 feet wide, and 6 feet long cause the original plans seemed a bit small for bmx, and used 2x6 boards instead of 2x4s for extra strength. Currently I'm doing the landing, and I'm still trying to follow the plans here but obviously it needs to match the height, and width, so the 2x4s I got for this (not pictured, forgot to take a photo. Will tomorrow) are 5 feet long, and the plywood sides are about 2 & a half feet tall as well. I didn't follow the length for them though, my dad & I laid the boards down & I just eyeballed it to what seemed like a good angle for them to be, drew the lines, then cut. Should be fine.

Pics!!

Photo

Basically the same thing as the funbox plans show, just larger. Framing the box with two 2x6x6 boards (Bought at Lowes originally 2x6x8 before cutting to size) and three 2x6x5 boards (Originally 2x6x10 before being cut down, NOT CUT IN HALF! sometimes the boards they sell are an inch or so more than what's stated. Be sure to measure both ends in before just cutting in half otherwise you'll fuck it up) But yeah, pretty simple at this stage. just do as you see, but the middle board should be moved to the side however many inches long the boards standing upright are. Mine were 6" wide, so instead of putting the board right in the middle, I moved them 6" down so the 2.5' middle boards would be centered.

Next step is to attach the 2 & a half foot tall boards to the bottom frame. I had a friend hold the board in place so it wouldn't move, then just drilled screws into them all. I put screws in on the outside, and perpendicular to that for extra support. Just be sure not to screw into another screw haha.

Should look like this when you're done

Photo

Next step is to build the top piece.. Now, the original DIYskate plans mention it's easier to just build the whole top piece FIRST, then flip the rest of the box upside down on top of the top part so you don't have to hold it and can just drill right into it with ease, but I wanted to make sure it would be level & that the top frame wouldn't be lower than any of the 2.5' boards (so the plywood on top will fit flush.) so my dad held the side boards and I screwed them in place. Wasn't too hard, then just did the same with all the middle boards, and the end result is as you see in the photo below

Photo

At this point, it seems to be coming together, but be sure you have it where you want at this stage because it's pretty damn heavy. Heavy, and sturdy!

Next step that I'm taking, is to build the landing. I got regular 2x4s for this, 2x4x10, and cut them to 5 feet long. Forgot to take a photo of them though, oh well. But my friend brought over a piece of plywood that's about 8 feet long, 4 feet wide, a little over half an inch thick, but under 3/4 thick. We figured using this for the siding would add some strength since it's so thick, instead of just using half inch thick like we were going to. So basically for this part, I didn't follow any plans. I just had my dad hold the board straight up & down and eyeballed it to what would be good for a landing, and used a 2x4 to draw the line down it. So we cut that, then just laid that on top of the rest of the plywood, drew the line again using the already cut board as a guide, then cut the other one out. They're not drilled on yet, just leaning against the box frame, but it will look like this when done. The dimensions for the walls are 8 feet long, by 2 & a half feet tall, and the slant is roughly 100 inches, or 8.333 feet. I forgot to measure that part exactly, but yeah.

Photo

And like I said, I'll be updating as I go. Altogether I've spent 1-3 hours a day, for 3 days, and somewhere around only $120 for all the wood so far. The plywood's gonna be the expensive part, but well worth it for loads of fun!

9/19/14

Any questions, comments, critiques, stuff like that, are all welcome! Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions regarding the process or materials, I'll be happy to help out as best I can.

Edit:

So I turned this pile of wood into the landing today, needed a few extra 2x4s though which weren't pictured though.

Photo

In this photo, I just attached the 5 foot long 2x4s to the ply wood sidewalls, I only did the first 3 to make a triangle so it was stable enough to drag over to the box jump & attach it to the main part of the box. I left a little room on the pointed ends so the 2x4s weren't sticking out, but I primarily just followed the kicker plans on DIYskate for this whole thing, except mine had a few more 2x4s.
Photo

As you see, it's coming together nicely. Had to stick a piece of wood under the box to allow the landing to meet the box better because it's sitting on a slightly uneven part of land, but oh well. It came together pretty well.

Next I started with the 2x4s that go inside the plywood walls. I followed the plans from the kicker on DIYskate, and went from the center of the 2x4 in the front, and measure 8" up the sides, and marked that on both sides, then centered a 2x4 on the mark and drilled screws in. This part was a bitch without anyone helping since no one would help today, but I got them pretty damn near perfect, not to toot my own horn haha. It got easier as I went cause after the first few, they started to wedge in the walls & that made it easier
Photo

Andddd finally this is the end result of today's labor. Altogether this part took about 2 hours, stoked on how it turned out. Need to wait for my dad & we can get the lip/take off section started, then all it needs is covered with plywood & outdoor sealant and it's shredable!
Photo

A tip for this part is use shorter screws or you'll risk splitting the wood, I used 1 & 5/8" screws for these, but used longer ones for everything else, especially attaching the landing to the rest of the box. I used about 20 screws or so to attach it, just to make sure it would be secure and not be going anywhere.

9/20/14

Got the plywood to cover all of it except for the launch/kicker part (due to I don't know how much wood I will need for that yet) and I also got the plywood for the sides of the launch/kicker part, and a few more 2x4s. Hopefully with that I'll be able to shape that, then figure out from there how much more wood I will need to cover it.

Here I started covering it, this part is pretty simple. Just lay the plywood down, draw your lines along the edges of the slant's sides, and cut it to size. For the slant, there's two different boards laid down. Lay them down longways with the bottom board slightly overhanging into the grass, but make sure the top of it is centered about halfway on one of the 2x4 supports so it has something to be drilled into. Did this for both of the boards, then drilled screws into the 2x4s underneath (it doesn't really matter how close they are, but I didn't make them any further apart than 7.5 inches, just make sure you use plenty!) Still need to cover about 5 inches of the top of the slant though, but it's getting there!
Photo

Shitty pic, but almost all covered!
Photo

Same as above, just a better pic.
Photo

Ran out of time since it rained earlier, so I didn't get a chance to screw the boards that go on top of the main part in yet. Cutting each board to size for this, and screwing them in, all took about 2 hours. My dad & I did the cutting earlier, but I screwed the boards in by myself right when it was getting dark, so it might have taken less time if I had adequate lighting and didn't have to dick around with finding a light source haha.

Also, I'm keeping a tarp over it while I'm not working on it, so it's shielded from the rain and whatnot before I cover it with sealant/paint to protect it when I'm done building.

9/30/14

Okay so the top boards got screwed in today.. I started with laying them where they needed to be, but also since there were two boards being used, I had to screw in another 2x4 right where the edge of the boards met to add support there. Not a big issue since I had a few of the bigger boards left over. So I marked where it needed to be and screwed it in. Also got a piece of plywood cut to fill in the rest of the slant but ran into a problem with that. I'll explain that in a bit.

Photo

Getting it all screwed in! I put 1 on each corner of both boards, then screwed them in about 7 & 3/4" apart. I forget how many I used, but I used plenty to make sure it's not going anywhere haha.

Photo

With the top boards secured in place, we started on filling in the top of the slant. This part was tricky for us because since none of my friends helped when putting the 2x4s together for the middle section, I think it came out slightly uneven because I did that part all by myself. Otherwise a piece of plywood cut to the right size should fit in there nicely. My dad & I though had to cut it weird since it was uneven. One side was about 8" but the other was about 7 & 3/4", not that big a difference, but it didn't since flush in there so we cut that to size.. Then ran into the problem of it being a bit taller than the boards in the middle section. So we just cut down the end pieces of the plywood sides to the landing, and cut the end of the plywood for the top of the slant at an angle, and it fit pretty damn flush together!

Photo

All boards nicely screwed in!

Photo

Different angle..

Photo

Rode up and down it a few times, and the transitions pretty nice. Boards are really sturdy too. Really happy with how it's coming along, and hopefully it'll be finished here soon!

Photo

10/01/14

Got some paint/sealant on it today! Ran out though, but have some more now so.. I'll get that done eventually haha. Painting's pretty much self-explanatory.

Photo

Started on the launch today, I was going to just eyeball it and draw a curve, but I didn't wanna do that. I didn't want it to be a slant, and I didn't want it to be a quarter, but I wanted something kind of in between. Kinda like when you're riding street and find that perfect bank setup that gives you awesome pop. That's what I wanted, but I didn't wanna take the chance of eyeballing it, then fucking it up if it's not how I wanted it. So I just traced part of the outline from the quarter I have sitting in the back.

You can see it in the background in a few photos, but basically what I did was I first cut the plywood in half diagonally then sat one of the boards up against the box jump and marked a line on the plywood where the box jump measured up to it. Then I sat it next to the quarter and just traced the curve using the quarter as a guide. This part I can't help you guys with since I didn't make the quarter and instead got it from someone, but there's several how-tos out there that show you how to make the curve for a quarter.

Then for cutting that, my dad & I just laid the boards on top of each other & screwed them together so they couldn't move, and started with using a sawzall but the blade was a bit too dull, so we just used a mini-jigsaw and it took awhile, but finally cut all the way.

Photo

and the end result is what you see here, not screwed in yet, just seeing what it looks like against the box. I think it'll be a good kicker once it's complete. I'll likely shave the bottom ends down though. I just left it that long in case they were needed. Better to leave it on and not need it, than to cut it off and need it later down the road.

Photo

Next step is to mark where the 2x4s will go across, then screw them in & secure it to the rest of the box. Once that's done, I'll lay the plywood down, seal/paint it, then shred it!

10/03/14

Lip finished today! Pretty happy how it looks.. I just put the bottom 2x4 in normally, and same with the top one to where the top corner wasn't overlapping out of the curved part, and for the last 2x4 at the start of the lip, I kinda just guessed where that would go looking at how it sat against the curve and then slanted it to compensate for the board that will be going on top of it. Then for the rest of the 2x4s, I just did them each 8" apart from the center of the 2x4 at the start of the lip. Still haven't lopped off the end of the plywood sides yet though haha.

Photo

Sat it up next to the box and it looks good! sitting on the land a bit unevenly, so I'll have to fix that somehow. Then screw it in. Didn't wanna do that just yet cause I might need to move the whole thing back a little bit and without the lip, it'll be a tad easier to move. Needs plywood and some paint, and it'll be shred ready!

Photo

Backyard setup so far!

Photo

10//04/14

Got everything done today besides paint!

Starting the launch. Cut the boards to size, and added a 2x4 underneath at the bottom of the top sheet, and top of the bottom sheet, so they had a strong place to meet. Just like I did with the slant. Then screwed everything into the studs underneath

Photo

I got tired, putting in a shit ton of screws takes it out of ya haha

Photo

All done! added some leftover boards for in the middle of the quarter and the box to make a better run away so you won't lose speed going through grass.

Photo

All done!! Pretty good pop too.

Photo

Same as the above, just you can see the whole thing.

Photo

First trick I did on it besides just bunnyhop it, poopy unturndown.

Photo

Little boost, testing how good the lip is

Photo

friend of mine tuck no handered it!

Photo

All that's left is to paint it, but I probably won't post up a photo of that when I do that unless anyone really wants to see that haha.

Finished 10/08/14

Got nearly $400 into this, as well as probably over 400 screws too.

One last photo, I finished painting the kicker, and added boards in between the quarter and the box to make things go smoother. Ran into a problem, because since the boards aren't bolted into anything, they moved around a lot. So I fixed that today by adding a small square piece of plywood under all the boards right in the center, screwing them together, then adding a smaller pieces on each end of the boards to secure it together. I'm not trying to waste a lot of money on this part, but if it doesn't stay together or keeps moving around a lot, I might cut some other boards up and line it underneath with boards everywhere they meet to make it hold together better. Not sure yet.

Anyway, here's the final pic!
Photo

10/11/14

|

9/19/2014 8:11 PM

Decent , box jumps are fun as hell man good stuff

|

9/19/2014 9:39 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Thanks, fun to build too! I actually kinda enjoy it haha

|

9/19/2014 10:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2014 10:10 PM

Cool shit.Looks solid. I have a grind box, mini wall, bank & manny pad so far. I think i'm gonna steal your idea and do a box jump next. Always wanted a 4footer or so. Or even a wedge to wedge. What are the dimensions for that beast?

EDIT: juswt saw the dimensions lol. Kinda skipped them to see the pics

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

9/19/2014 10:12 PM

tomdon wrote:

Cool shit.Looks solid. I have a grind box, mini wall, bank & manny pad so far. I think i'm gonna steal your idea and do a ...more

Do it, I'm stoked to get this finished!

And 2 & a half feet tall, 5 feet wide (plus like 2 more inches from both the side boards), 6 feet long.

I can get exact dimensions tomorrow or Sunday, right now it's kinda dark out haha.

|

9/19/2014 11:14 PM

eskimojay wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Thanks, fun to build too! I actually kinda enjoy it haha

Building ramps kicks ass dude effort put in brings memories of good times , then when the ramps are near shit the bed you got plenty of firewood to get a crew together some brews get stoked and build something else to ride

|

9/20/2014 8:20 AM

I need to build some ramps so that I'm not so out of my element at Wheelmill. Lol

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

9/20/2014 9:40 AM

Looks good! That box should be super stout and will be a fun setup. You may not need it but I have one suggestion for you. Over time, after repeatedly landing on the box, it could start to lean. A couple of diagonal cross braces on adjacent sides will stiffen it up quite a bit. Just a thought.
I'm currently working a setup of my own. I wanted to make mine modular so that I could reconfigure things as I desired. It consists of (2) 3'x6' kickers w/ 5' transitions, (2) 3'x6' ramps w/ more mellow 10' transitions, (2) 3'x6' platforms, and a 12' grind box. Some of the configurations I'll be able to have include: 12' wide quarter w/ 3'platform, spines, 4 sided jump box, gap jumps, and so on.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

9/20/2014 10:54 AM

Good call ^^^ I'll be sure to reinforce it with some boards going diagonal when I get the chance. Those ramps look sick btw! I love how ramps look before the plywood's laid down, kinda like a ramp skeleton haha

|

9/20/2014 6:00 PM

bumper cars.

updated with today's progress, and added in dimensions for the sidewalls for the landing. Didn't get around to adding diagonal boards in the center though, barely for the landing built before the sun went down haha.

|

9/21/2014 6:12 AM

Coming along quite nicely

|

9/21/2014 5:58 PM

For sure ^^

So glad I covered it with a tarp last night because it randomly started raining today & I wasn't home to go cover it and those boards aren't treated D: haha

|

9/23/2014 6:07 AM

Looks fun! The ONLY thing I would've done differently is make the landing a shallow transition, for softer landings and better ability to pump the ramp.

Build a hip into it!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/23/2014 1:36 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Looks fun! The ONLY thing I would've done differently is make the landing a shallow transition, for softer landings and better ...more

It's pretty shallow as it is haha. just looks bigger in the photos.

And that's the plan kinda! See the smaller quarter in the back in the 3rd photo down? I wanna put that on the side of the box for a transfer. It'd be awesome to build a full pyramid but not right now haha

|

9/30/2014 6:03 PM

hump.

updated pics & details from working on it today

|

10/3/2014 8:32 PM

slump

launch outline is started. If I don't ride tomorrow, I'll probably finish everything expect laying the plywood on the launch down because I didn't get that yet due to now knowing how much I would need.

Also updated it on October 1st but didn't feel like bumping it. Got all the boards screwed in on the top and slant parts. Rode up and down it a few times, and bunnyhopped on it, and it feels pretty fuckin solid.

|

10/3/2014 8:52 PM

Idc if you hate me but honestly you could shred this like a loading dock as it is for the time being haha

|

13 years old

10/8/2014 8:06 PM

BuMpEr StIcKeRs!

All done, minus paint/sealant on the boards on the lip! Rides pretty fuckin good!

|

10/8/2014 8:28 PM

thumbs up

|

10/8/2014 10:46 PM

tomdon wrote:

thumbs up

Photo
|

10/9/2014 1:56 AM

Looks awesome man, did a good job. How much do u have into materials if you don't mind me asking

|

10/9/2014 6:10 AM

I noticed a longer kicker side that doesn't have a lot of curve for a few feet, just make sure it never sits in puddles etc, cause those boards can and will warp. Also to anyone building a ramp, try to paint EVERY INCH OF IT, including the underside. Go to your local hazmat spot for recycled paint for cheap/free. Exterior is what you want.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/9/2014 9:40 PM

fifth gear wrote:

Looks awesome man, did a good job. How much do u have into materials if you don't mind me asking

thanks!! and I would say almost $400. The original plans from the diy skate mentioned in the original post said it would be about $200, but I increased the size, and used bigger/stronger boards for the main part of it, which cost more. Overall I'm pretty damn happy with it.

I might screw a board in underneath the plywood boards used for run up, just to keep them from moving around. I'll throw a video up of my friends & I riding it today. This fucker's hard to clear though so it's like all flyout haha. I should've made it 6 feet wide, 5 foot long, instead of the other way around but oh well.

|

10/9/2014 9:55 PM

|