brake levers on bend question

Related:
Create New Tag

3/6/2016 3:27 PM

I run front and rear brakes and 8.5 rise handlebars. I need to cut my bars down a bit (around 271/4 to 27 1/2)but that puts my levers slightly on the bend just like bitd, I have an old Primo lever that works fine on the rear but flipping it makes it crooked and off angle when used on the left side. Do any new levers work well slightly on the bend or am I SOL? My bars are Animal Washington but I'm trying out Fit Benny L's too.

|

Free thinkers are dangerous

3/6/2016 3:55 PM

odysey monolever or m2 works perfect on the bend, and you can flip them aswell so thats your best bet

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

3/6/2016 4:20 PM

Nice! I was hoping I wouldn't have to mod anything too drastic, sounds like my best option!

|

3/6/2016 10:55 PM

dikdiamond wrote:

Nice! I was hoping I wouldn't have to mod anything too drastic, sounds like my best option!

I may be too late, but I've got a right-hand Mission Captive lever and it's slightly on the bend. Works totally fine, been running it for a few months now. But, of course, this isn't a top of the line lever, I'm just cheap, haha! Happy riding!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/7/2016 5:15 AM

I looked at them on bmxguru.com, they look like a decent lever. Did you have to bend them at all?

|

3/7/2016 11:54 AM

I have an Eastern lever flipped on my front brake and it works just fine, even feels reasonably close to my Odyssey setup.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/7/2016 1:11 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I have an Eastern lever flipped on my front brake and it works just fine, even feels reasonably close to my Odyssey setup.

wonder if they copied odyssey then?

It seems like I have more options than just Odyssey...I've used Tech 77 levers for most of my life and they just aren't working with my current set-up. I don't like 28" wide bars ya know?

|

3/7/2016 1:37 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

dikdiamond wrote:

wonder if they copied odyssey then?

It seems like I have more options than just Odyssey...I've used Tech 77 levers for most of my life and they just aren't working with my current set-up. I don't like 28" wide bars ya know?

I wouldn't say copied, most brake levers are pretty similar, but it is close.

It was all I had laying around.

You could always look into the Dia Tech Dirty Harry or Goldfinger (If you prefer one finger braking)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/8/2016 8:54 AM

The one-finger braking thing isn't for me, wish it was though! Problem solved then haha!

|

3/8/2016 11:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2016 11:25 AM

dikdiamond wrote:

The one-finger braking thing isn't for me, wish it was though! Problem solved then haha!

Try looking into a Diatech Dirty Harry lever, it's two finger braking, and designed to work great on the curve of a bar. I used to run one (WAAAAY back in the day) when bars were huge if they were 28 in wide.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/8/2016 2:24 PM

Here's the Benny L bars cut to 27 1/2 with old Primo levers front and rear. Notice the weird angle of the left lever lol. No matter what angle it is it's still fubar'd. Even more so on my Animal bars that I haven't cut down yet.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|